Join Early Retirement Today

what type of exercise?
Old 04-03-2011, 07:45 AM   #1
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

what type of exercise?

I am 64 and have always been active, but with the long winter in the midwest and no work, I have put on a little weight. In the 5-10 pound range. what type of excercise do you people use to keep from putting on weight in the winter? What type of excercise do you do to get rid of the winter weight?
frank is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-03-2011, 07:54 AM   #2
Recycles dryer sheets

Hey, Frank.

I'm partners in a strength training business and have edited four books for a nationally-known fitness trainer, including one on fat loss.

While the most effective fat loss plan varies by individual, in my experience the best general target to shoot for is loss of one pound of fat per week using a combination of 1) eating roughly 250 calories under your daily maintenance level (being careful to track what you eat in an online calculator like fitday.com) and 2) 45 minutes of daily low-impact cardio such as walking, stationary bike, etc.

For your daily maintenance level you can use the online calculators, although they're more like guesstimators.

Deprivation diets almost always fail, and given the amount of fat you need to lose, there's no need to go on a more aggressive cardio plan. What I've outlined will get you there slow and steady.

One other thing: IGNORE THE SCALE FOR THE FIRST FEW WEEKS. Your daily weight can fluctuate dramatically…mine does by two or three pounds. Plus, for men, fat comes off the waistline last. You'll see it disappearing from your face and arms first, then the waistline will follow.

I don't know if you have a Kindle or not, but if you're interested in a more in-depth plan for diet and exercise, here's one of the books I've edited:

Amazon.com: Iron Addict's Way of Change eBook: Wesley Silveira, Ed Ditto: Kindle Store

This is available in paperback, too. PM me if you're interested and I'll tell you how to get it.
gratefuled is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2011, 07:58 AM   #3

Running and weight lifting...and watching the portions of what I eat. I eat pretty much what I want, but I limit the size of the portions, and don't eat fatty foods or heavy meals two days in a row.
I suspect your winters are more severe than mine in NJ, but I run outside all year (except when there's ice/heavy snow in the roads). I'm sure you also get breaks in the winter weather; take advantage and go outside on those days. If running's not your thing, brisk walking is a completely fine substitute.
mystang52 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2011, 08:00 AM   #4
Recycles dryer sheets

One more recommendation: try to split your caloric intake along these lines: 40% protein, 30% fat, 30% carbs. Don't bother trying a ketonic diet like Atkins...first, it's a deprivation diet, and second, the weight will more than likely come back after you return to normal eating habits. Some people do keep the weight off after a keto, but the majority gain a bunch of it back.
Old 04-03-2011, 08:11 AM   #5

I am 5'8" and have been 155 since high school. this winter has been longer than usual, and like I said I have been weighing at 160-162 depending on the day. Is walking alone a way to loose this weight or does it take more strenuous excercise? or excercise plus diet control?

gopher-broke: what is the vinegar supposed to do?
Old 04-03-2011, 08:12 AM   #6
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by frank View Post
I am 5'8" and have been 155 since high school. this winter has been longer than usual, and like I said I have been weighing at 160-162 depending on the day. Is walking alone a way to loose this weight or does it take more strenuous excercise? or excercise plus diet control?
You don't really need more strenuous cardio than that, no, but if you're game for it I highly recommend you go on a strength training (i.e., weightlifting) program. Studies have shown that you lose muscle mass as you age, and that the best way to defeat that is strength training.

And yes, I recommend exercise plus diet control until you've met your fat loss goal. Then you should be able to get by on exercise alone as long as you eat sensibly.
Old 04-03-2011, 08:15 AM   #7

I do 60 pushups, 60 situps, and 10 chinups everyday and sometimes I miss a day, is that considered strength training?
Old 04-03-2011, 08:20 AM   #8
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
I do 60 pushups, 60 situps, and 10 chinups everyday and sometimes I miss a day, is that considered strength training?
That's excellent. Keep it up. If it were me I'd be doing more, but that's just me. If what you're doing is keeping you conditioned and you're not losing muscle mass/strength, then it sounds great.

Edit: incidentally, that's not going to do all that much for your fat loss…while you are burning calories when you do pushups, steady-state cardio like walking is a much better fat loss tool.
Old 04-03-2011, 08:31 AM   #9
Recycles dryer sheets

I walked three miles a day for several years which kept my weight stable. However, once I RE I was able to do a variety of exercising -- yoga, pilates, boot camp, spinning. My weight reduction and toning only improved when I added more strenuous spinning and boot camp and I didn't change my diet.
janeeyre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2011, 08:40 AM   #10
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

I used to mall walk in the winter until I got my dog (who provides enormous incentive to walk). Now I walk outside all year 'round. When it is icy I use traction aids on my boots.
travelover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2011, 08:51 AM   #11

I walk dogs, do step cardio ( the old step platforms), hand weights, etc. My weight is fine, I excercise for health benefits.
Ally is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2011, 08:52 AM   #12
Administrator

Quote:
Sounds like you are doing great. I would suggest that you do something for the big muscles in your legs. Squats are really good and no special equipment is needed. If your balance is good, do the squats 'free style' as it activates the core muscles around your center to maintain balance, otherwise stand up against a wall. The longer those big arteries remain elastic the less effort is needed by the heart to pump blood to your lower extremeties.

As was said above, exercise alone is not going to lose you much weight, but don't go on a 'diet', simply cut back a little on what you eat.
Old 04-03-2011, 08:52 AM   #13
gone traveling

Back in August 2008, I came down with diabetes. Over a period of about 3 months, I went from 212 lbs to 175 lbs by walking 3 miles/day and improving my nutrition. I do not do much cardio type exercise these days, but I have been weightlifting 3X/week for the last two years. The weight lifting has caused my weight to increase to 189 lb, but its been muscle. I feel 30 years younger.
eytonxav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2011, 08:54 AM   #14

what are boot camp and spinning? I was kind of hoping for a one size fits all excercise that would keep me in shape, loose a little weight, and maintain a good weight.
Old 04-03-2011, 09:00 AM   #15

I do not do much cardio type exercise these days, but I have been weightlifting 3X/week for the last two years. The weight lifting has caused my weight to increase to 189 lb, but its been muscle. I feel 30 years younger.

do you work out in a gym or at home? where did you learn what types of weight program worked for you? did you have a trainer or just learned on your own?

I am going to try the squats Alan suggested, just never thought of those.
Old 04-03-2011, 09:00 AM   #16
Administrator

Quote:
what are boot camp and spinning? I was kind of hoping for a one size fits all excercise that would keep me in shape, loose a little weight, and maintain a good weight.
Boot camp is usually a place you go to for a week or longer that has trainers and/or nutritionists who put you through an exercise and eating regime with the aim of losing weight and getting fit. Never been on a boot camp so I can't speak from experience.

A spinning class is one where a bunch of you ride stationary bikes led by an instructor. Very aerobic, and you would do this once or twice a week.
Old 04-03-2011, 09:09 AM   #17
Administrator

Quote:
do you work out in a gym or at home? where did you learn what types of weight program worked for you? did you have a trainer or just learned on your own?
We are members of the YMCA and they have all the machines available plus a large variety of classes available at no extra cost, including a pool. We normally go there 5 days a week and do a mixture of clsses and weight room workouts. Personal trainers are available for a fee but we are happy with the free instruction we receive to set up the machines we use for the weight training we do once or twice a week.

We are currently on a 7 month long vacation, so we signed up to a local gym and again there is an instructor available included with monthly the fee to help set up the machines and instruct on their proper use.
Old 04-03-2011, 09:25 AM   #18

In an earlier discussion of this sort, Nords referred to Jolie Bookspan's work here, Where To Continue with Fitness Fixer During Healthline's Pause for All Bloggers , where there are many good suggestions.
Old 04-03-2011, 10:09 AM   #19
Recycles dryer sheets

Would you guys (and mods) like it if I were to start a separate diet and fitness Q&A thread? I'm a long-time runner, healthy eater, and general fitness nut…especially with respect to outdoor sports. As I mentioned, I'm partners in a training business and I've edited four training books. Oh, and I retired from my corporate job at 36.

As long as there was interest I'd try to visit the thread every couple of days and answer questions. The one thing I'd ask is that I be allowed to link to the books I sell.
Old 04-03-2011, 10:16 AM   #20
gone traveling

Quote:
I do not do much cardio type exercise these days, but I have been weightlifting 3X/week for the last two years. The weight lifting has caused my weight to increase to 189 lb, but its been muscle. I feel 30 years younger.

Although I have a rack/bench/barbell/dumbells and plates at home, I only use those when I can't make it to my local gym. I would probably choose to work out exclusively at home if I was able to devote more dedicated space, but my little home gyms is too cramped.

When I initially joined the gym I had a trainer to teach me how to use the equipment, but then I went on my own for a while and mostly spun me wheels. After spending more time learning (eg Bodybuilding.com, Will Brinks website and reading several books like Starting Strength) I moved to various 12 week routines and carefully tracked my results. I have progressed from being a newbie to what I would consider an intermediate lifter at this point. I still have lots to learn (especially with respect to nutrition) and my physique and strength contine to improve. When I first started, it was tough and I wasn't sure I would stick with it, but it has turned into a permanent lifestyle change for me and I enjoy it like one does a hobby. If your Dr cleared you for exercise, start slow (eg walking) and work your way up from there. Good luck, you can do it!
eytonxav is offline   Reply With Quote