What will we eat?

... and insects don't eat Texans.

But they do, and some are larger critters such as venomous snakes and alligators, etc...

Texas is infested with scorpions, rattlesnakes, fire ants, crazy raspberry ants, cockroaches on steroids, killer bees, mosquitoes, ticks, chiggers, tarantulas, brown recluse spiders, love bugs, swarming crickets, copperheads, cottonmouths, rabid skunks, wild hogs, alligators,...

When I went to the Navy's survival school, I learned that you can eat anything that walks, crawls, swims or flies -- and when you get hungry enough, you will.

+1
The Air Force taught me the same lesson during survival training. It was a bit surprising, but as Cervantes pointed out, "La mejor salsa del mundo es la hambre." (Hunger is the best sauce in the world.)

I still remember the impression made on us the first day when the instructor reached down to the grass and showed us how to eat a grasshopper. Pull off the head and legs, then pop it in your mouth and chew.

Grasshopper tastes really good if it is cooked on pan until its crispy outside. When I was a child growing up in a poor country side, we caught them for snacking.

I've never eaten a meal of insects, but honestly I don't think that eating some insects would be all that different from eating snails or crayfish (don't people call them mudbugs? yet they're delicious). It would all depend on the preparation.

I watched a Bizarre Foods episode in which a Vietnamese woman made a good living selling fried tarantulas. She first dry fried them to burn off the fur then seasoned them and stir fried them. He said they tasted exactly like lobster. She sold out every single day.

There is an award winning children's book called Beetles Lightly Toasted, that addresses this topic.

But flies? They're all legs and wings. Ugh! I guess it is in the preparation...

But flies? They're all legs and wings. Ugh! I guess it is in the preparation...
Buffalo wings and drumsticks? Sounds tasty. There is an amazing potential for new branding opportunities here.

Last edited:
Another of my fond memories was during our trip to China in 1990. I don't remember which city it was in, but we were served a big platter of deep fried scorpions on a bed of rice. They said it was a local specialty.

Quite tasty, actually. As I recall, only about ten percent of our group was willing to try them, but I dug in!

Insects eaten un dirt poor countries because that's what's available.

Clear some countertop room for this handy appliance!
Farm 432: The handy kitchen appliance that breeds fly larva for protein

farm432-fly-breeding-appliance.jpg

More "it's coming" info
"Before we could focus on human food, we should first see that it works for animals. Then the step to human nutrition will be easier."
Proteins from fast-growing insects have many advantages, but we need a better knowledge of the sources

When I went to the Navy's survival school, I learned that you can eat anything that walks, crawls, swims or flies -- and when you get hungry enough, you will.

And that's exactly when I'll start eating bugs...

... But flies? They're all legs and wings. Ugh! I guess it is in the preparation...

Buffalo wings and drumsticks? Sounds tasty. There is an amazing potential for new branding opportunities here.

No! No flies. Larvae or maggots, as the previously mentioned articles described in earlier posts.

FLIES -> Legs. Wings. Big eyes. Nasty juice (as seen from the ones you smash with a fly swatter). Probably bitter.

MAGGOTS -> Wingless. Boneless. [-]Skinless[/-]. Pure white protein. [-]Taste like chicken[/-].

So, repeat after me. Flies, NO! Maggots, YES!

Last edited:
So, repeat after me. Flies, NO! Maggots, YES!

You're going to have to pull one of those rebranding jobs on maggots:

prunes - dried plums
dolphin fish -> mahi-mahi
maggots -> ...

the other-other white meat
insecilicious meat
grubchops
land-lobster
tilapigrub
WonderProtein™

other ideas?

Wow, I checked the thesaurus for related words to maggots and you have a huge rebranding job ahead of you:

abhorred
abhorrent
accursed
atrocious
awful
despicable
disgusting
execrable
godawful
grody
gross
hateable
hateful
heinous
horrid
lousy
low-down
maggot
monstrous
obnoxious
odious
offensive
outrageous
repugnant
repulsive
revolting
rotten
shocking
sorry
vile

Here is another one Soylent Recipes - Popular soylent recipes and tips A product designed by an GA Tech grad who was looking for healthy nutritional food that had limited interruption to his life. This is what happens when an engineer creates a recipe rather than a chef. :)

Good article in the current New Yorker mag about the guy and his start-up.
He's been living on it for a while, but he's 25 years old, lots of physical forgiveness at that age.

I think we may already be eating larva. Can anybody tell what the fake chicken product is? The one in all the frozen dinners. I don't eat much of that kind of junk, but I've never seen a chicken that looks like that. I'm sure it's labeled as processed chicken, or something along that line. Give me larva over that junk any day.
MRG

When MikeyD's came out with "premium chicken" stuff (McNuggets, sandwiches), I asked them what were we eating before the "premium" variety?

No answer, of course.

As Gumby noted, hunger is a great motivator.

Not the the kind of hunger that says I'm ready for dinner, it is the kind where sole of shoe is a delicacy, especially when topped with the peviously shown assorted flies their orts and leavings and assorted critters.

You gotta experience it to get the full flavor of the feeling.

I am already doing my part by harvesting limb chickens. This fall I am planning on adding dove and possibly yellow-bellied marmot (local groundhog equivalent) to the menu. How is that for "variety meat?"

I have talked about trying nutria ever since I came to this forum, but when on RV trip to New Orleans last year, did not have time to look for it at local eateries. Well, perhaps next time. There are many sources of protein I much prefer to try than maggots and insects.

Last edited:
I have talked about trying nutria ever since I came to this forum, but when on RV trip to New Orleans last year, did not have time to look for it at local eateries. Well, perhaps next time. There are many sources of protein I much prefer to try than maggots and insects.

If I end up driving down there at some point, I will be trying to bag both nutria and a feral hog. I hear the smaller nutria are actually pretty good eating.

Back
Top Bottom