Join Early Retirement Today

Old 11-09-2019, 08:45 PM   #61
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by triangle View Post
I always drink my coffee black, made from freshly roasted beans.

If you watch this documentary "Fat: A Documentary" you might worry more about sugar and carbohydrates than you do dietary fat. The interesting part about cholesterol starts at 27:08
Thanks I'll check it out.

I actually was targeting a higher fat diet for the last couple years. Unfortunately my bloodwork hasn't been great over the last two years.

However it may be a couple of dietary issues. In addition to eating too much saturated fat I eat too much sugar in the form of Ben and Jerrys, and Brookside chocolate. Both are loaded with saturated fat and sugar. So they've been banned for a while, perhaps forever.
My plan is to:
Lower saturated fats
Lower refined sugar
Add fiber
Add healthy unsaturated fats
Get back to the gym

One great thing is my consumption has been so decadent it's easy to make big changes.
MRG is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-09-2019, 08:51 PM   #62
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

I add hydrolized Collagen Peptide to my morning coffee w hazelnut cream. Taste great. And the peptides have strengthened by joints and knee. The side effect was less wrinkled around my eyes. [emoji38]
Old 11-10-2019, 12:58 AM   #63
Full time employment: Posting here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MRG View Post
Thanks I'll check it out.

I actually was targeting a higher fat diet for the last couple years. Unfortunately my bloodwork hasn't been great over the last two years.

However it may be a couple of dietary issues. In addition to eating too much saturated fat I eat too much sugar in the form of Ben and Jerrys, and Brookside chocolate. Both are loaded with saturated fat and sugar. So they've been banned for a while, perhaps forever.
My plan is to:
Lower saturated fats
Lower refined sugar
Add fiber
Add healthy unsaturated fats
Get back to the gym

One great thing is my consumption has been so decadent it's easy to make big changes.
In actuality, for most people most of the time, keeping weight down and exercising appears to be more beneficial to cholesterol than diet, but this is an area of active research and a lot of debate. Of course, weight, exercise, and diet tend to go hand in hand.
dirtbiker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2019, 02:49 AM   #64

When younger and working, there was a coffeeshop slap bang next to my work. I could trot out of my studio and be there in about 30 seconds. I'd have a very large coffee, loaded with creamer and sugar. Went through something like half a dozen of those a day.

Now in retirement, I have slowed down and have 2 medium black coffees in the morning only, made at home. No creamer or sugar. However, about once a week, when on a Starbucks date with my SO, I'll have creamer, but no sugar.

Major Tom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2019, 05:12 AM   #65

I love the dry creamer made by Carnation, french vanilla. I like to make my coffee very strong in my Kuerig, with the creamer in the bottom of my cup. My soft addiction. One large cup, once a day, it gets me out of bed.
Old 11-10-2019, 05:58 AM   #66

I'm another one who doesn't put anything in my coffee. And it's gotta be hot. Won't drink it once it cools off, and don't even think about putting ice in it. Yuck!
Bought a nice stainless insulated mug with a ceramic coating, keeps it hot much longer and the ceramic coating is nicer than plain stainless. No metal taste.
My wife uses half/half + honey. We normally drink Community dark roast hazelnut.
Old 11-10-2019, 06:00 AM   #67

Strong, black with a tablespoon of honey.
Old 11-10-2019, 06:38 AM   #68
Recycles dryer sheets

I'm probably not quite as much a connoisseur of coffee as many of you here. However, I do love my coffee! I usually just brew up a pot of the regular Dunkin Donuts coffee and use the store hazelnut creamer (often the "off brand"). DW loves it that way too, but she just has one 16 oz cup. Me? One 20 oz mug in the morning and another for the road.
Timeisprecious is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2019, 07:32 AM   #69

I use whole milk and only drink 2 cups a day in the morning so I don't see a concern for that little bit of fat. I do watch the amount of saturated fat in other foods though. We eat very little red meat but more sea food, veggies, fruits, and beans. Then we stay as active as possible with my wife playing tennis most every day and me riding my recumbent trike about 12 miles a day.
It all has an impact on keeping the numbers good.
You do realize that sugar is a seriously contributing factor for making your own saturated fat that in turn impacts your cholesterol levels. What is your sugar intake? Do you eat processed food and not know the sugar that has been added to most? I would start looking at eating habits other than a small amount of cream in your coffee unless you are drinking a large amount of coffee.

Cheers!
Badger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2019, 10:29 AM   #70
Give me a forum ...

Heavy cream, or half-and-half, or black.

No sweeteners or “creamers”...

...not doing anything of true substance...
HFWR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2019, 10:57 AM   #71

I learned to drink black coffee in the last two years. About once every other day, I put in cream. Usually heavy cream. Once in a great while I make bulletproof coffee, adding 0.5 tbsp of MCT oil and a tiny splash of cream. Unless I mix with a stick blender, the oil rises to the surface. Frankly that is just too much trouble.
EastWest Gal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2019, 11:59 AM   #72
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by cyber888 View Post
I add hydrolized Collagen Peptide to my morning coffee w hazelnut cream. Taste great. And the peptides have strengthened by joints and knee. The side effect was less wrinkled around my eyes. [emoji38]
Darn, wished I had known about this sooner. If I started doing this a few years ago maybe I wouldn't need the hip implant scheduled for next week and I could also look 10 years younger!
Old 11-10-2019, 04:54 PM   #73
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Badger View Post
I use whole milk and only drink 2 cups a day in the morning so I don't see a concern for that little bit of fat. I do watch the amount of saturated fat in other foods though. We eat very little red meat but more sea food, veggies, fruits, and beans. Then we stay as active as possible with my wife playing tennis most every day and me riding my recumbent trike about 12 miles a day.
It all has an impact on keeping the numbers good.
You do realize that sugar is a seriously contributing factor for making your own saturated fat that in turn impacts your cholesterol levels. What is your sugar intake? Do you eat processed food and not know the sugar that has been added to most? I would start looking at eating habits other than a small amount of cream in your coffee unless you are drinking a large amount of coffee.

Cheers!
Our diet had been quite good while I was logging all our food in MFP. Haven't for a year or so, but I did for a couple days. It's clear to see what we're getting too much of, including sugar and saturated fats. Thanks..
MRG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2019, 06:59 PM   #74

Double espresso for me and I add a bit of hot water!
NYEXPAT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2019, 08:05 PM   #75
Recycles dryer sheets

Also add collagen to my black coffee. Haven't noticed fewer wrinkles, but my joints feel better. If I'm getting coffee at most restaurants, I use half and half because most restaurant coffee isn't very good, imho.
PawPrint53 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2019, 05:44 AM   #76
Recycles dryer sheets

Costco whole beans, fresh grounded in French press, add half-half and Hazelnut Stevia 5 drops. More worried about carbs than fat. Cholesterol all good. Our football team won yesterday so will be adding a Dunkin Donuts iced unsweetened french vanilla later, add my own Stevia. Hate Splenda.
kannon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2019, 08:04 AM   #77

I bought an inexpensive Delonghi cappuccino machine years ago. Every few years I upgrade to the newer version. So, espresso (4 shots) then steamed 1% milk and stevia. Once/day. Kicks me into gear at 6:30 am, then no more coffee for the rest of the day.

Ralph Waldo Emerson
Rianne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2019, 08:40 AM   #78
Full time employment: Posting here.

I've always had to watch my weight so trained myself early in life to drink black coffee, even Folgers. Eventually the coffee craze came with coffees that actually taste good without cream. I never cared for sugar in my coffee. Occasionally I will splurge on cream, e.g., coffee after a meal at a fine restaurant, or have a latte when traveling as a source of calcium.
Old 11-15-2019, 03:37 PM   #79
Recycles dryer sheets

Black: I Prefer to CHEW My Calories

Having been obese most of my younger years, I'm committed to maintaining my huge weight loss of over 200 pounds which I've held at bay for over 15 years.

So it's black coffee for me, as I'm not convinced that all those sugar-free chemicals have a backlash that may haunt me in the future.

Don
ddoorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2019, 03:59 PM   #80
Confused about dryer sheets

Before you go worrying about your cholesterol please watch these 2 videos (in any order)... and

Note: I wouldn't rely on Braumeister for medical advice... I think there might be a few calories in cream enjoy your saturated fats. If you enjoy full-cream milk find some other way to adjust. Just my two cents worth.

Having said that Dr Neal Barnard, one of my heroes would argue you should stay away from dairy altogether.

Spoiler alert: The standard measures of cholesterol are meaningless because they're just a snapshot of what's happening to your body's energy levels. Eat lots of fat for 3 days then measure cholesterol.... in most cases it will drop ... ask your Doctor to explain that and play fair!
mozzie4 is offline   Reply With Quote