Votes: 1 0.9%
  • 18.5 to 24.9 (ideal)

Votes: 54 46.2%
  • 25 to 29.9 (overweight)

Votes: 43 36.8%
  • > 30 (obese)

Votes: 19 16.2%

• Total voters
Well, I'm 'obese'. (Not far into it, but obese by the formula.)

Now, I'll admit that losing some weight would be a good idea - and I'm actually on that track, down about 10 pounds from my peak weight - but OBESE? I don't think so.

Nords link is enlightening - and here's another test of BMI - drop in the heights and weights of your favorite (or least favorite!) hockey team - see where they fall...

They still could be overweight.

I keep thinking of my skinny old grandpa who lived to 99.

Also, look at professional dancers. I have spent some time around a fair number of professional ballet dancers lately and they are strong as an ox and quite thin.

I need to lose some weight. :( Tough for me, I am so dang impulsive.

Rich, I don't doubt any of the points you have listed. Deliberately losing fat is a well proven pathway to improved health. My quibble is as I said- BMI is a crude measure of body fat %, thus not particularly useful clinical as opposed to epidemiological inquiry.

There are plenty of male and female athletes with low body fat %, who nevertheless have BMI in the "overweight" category. These people are not going to find themselves into any of the studies of the type that you referenced. So while BMI is probably often a good proxy for body fat %, it falls down with a trained basically mesomorphic individual.

Take the stated bodyweights and heights of NFL safeties and DBs, as well as running backs, tight ends, receivers. Plenty of them will have BMI over 25, but as I sit here with my 22.5 it is very clear that these guys have body fat % much lower than mine. :)

Ha

Selected hockey players:

Paul Kariya (5' 10", 180#) BMI 25.8, overweight (but not by much)

Pavel Datsyuk (5' 11", 194#) BMI 27.1, solidly overweight

Chris Pronger (6' 6", 213#) BMI 24.6 normal weight (but not by much)

Dwane Roloson (6' 1", 180#) BMI 23.7 normal weight (in the top 50%, though)

Dang! With these professional athletes on the high end of the scale, what chance do we normal humans have:confused:

Thought... what about movie stars?

What do you mean about the "misuse?" There was only one for which the classification did not seem right to me.

What a weird perceptual tossing on the ear that show is. I agree that just about everyone labeled overweight or worse looked plenty overweight to me.

What was bizarre was women who were a little shorter than me and about my weight who looked pretty darn skinny. And women that are a foot shorter and a hundred pounds heavier that looked fat but I wouldnt have guessed their weight to be that high.

Most of the people labeled underweight looked like they could poke holes in your skin with their elbows and knees. Maybe we can take up a collection to buy them a sammich?

Rich is right, it is the super-skinny who live the longest. BMI is a shortcut, best used for typical American couch potatoes, and was never intended for use in weightlifters and pro athletes. In athletes, they use the more sophisticated and accurate measure of body fat. And not what you get from those ridiculous scales and biometric impedence devices--they use the calipers and hydrostatic weighing and the like.
But BMI will tell your average American how far past the mark they are. I was a 31, now a 22.

If you want to know your bodyfat, get calipers or even more fun, the BodPod, which mimics hydrostatic weighing--if you can. I used the one at the Citadel here in Charleston--pretty cool!

But I do agree with you that to the obesity-numbed American eye, lots of overweight people "look" just fine to me.
When I look at WWII photos I'm amazed at how skinny everyone is.

Then I remember that civilian rationing, shipboard/battlefield food, and tobacco all contributed to that svelte fashion.

I'll just keep an eye on the waistline and stop worrying about the scale or BMI.

I haven't looked at BMI recently, but the calculator says I am 23.6, which is suspicious given the obvious spare tire I'm carrying...

At ER I was somewhere around 30 BMI. Started 3 day a week exercise routine at ER and have kept it up pretty much for some seven years now. BMI hovering around 25 now.

At ER I was well into obese BMI, now I'm just barely into overweight. ER is good for my health! Nothing like just under two hours a day at the gym and a healthy low-cal diet. What working person has time for that?!

I agree we as a society have forgotten what a healthy body looks like. My friends who are still desk-bound bureaucrats think I look "thin" but when I compare myself to the athletes at the gym, it's clear that I need to lose more adipose tissue, bulging biceps or no.

I am borderline overweight and obese (BMI 29/30). It all depends if I've eaten. My current body fat level is just under 20%, and going down. My BMI, unfortunately, is going up due to physical training for a new job.

When I was in the military the Air Force Times had a huge headline saying the majority of the Air Force members were overweight. The article went on to say the reason most were overweight was because they were weight training. At the time I had just come back from being a gym rat while on deployment and was solidly obese.

Last edited:
My BMI is 19.8. Does that mean I'm a string bean? I don't think so. I'm just very tall for a woman - taller than the average man (I'm 5'11''). Seems like gender should factor in here somewhere... shouldn't the average man be heavier than a tall woman?

Charlotte

When I was in the military the Air Force Times had a huge headline saying the majority of the Air Force members were overweight.

Remember the "fat boy" program? That worked pretty well through embarrassment. Probably don't have it anymore, now it would be the "fat person" program, but it wouldn't have the same effect.

You oughta remove that huge blue growth from your wrist. That'd probably put your BMI right back to normal.

that's an old friend from my childhood, just the type of weight ya don't wanna lose.

the weight around my gut is 5 years of guardianship. my brother, having dealt with mom's alzheimer's plus his biz & his 3 kids, has put on even more around the gut yet he was always more athletic than me earlier in life.

love sarah's idea of having body fat professionally checked (i just use the silly machines) and found they do that at the wellness center of my local university. and i get a discount for being a past student. in researching that i also just found this Trade in Your Love Handles for a 6-Pack! which looks interesting:

The best type of exercise for reducing body fat is low-intensity, long-duration aerobic exercise

Last edited:
BMI doesn't take into account muscle mass nearly enough, IMHO.

For example, in my own experience, when I weighed 150 at age 42 I wore a size 12 pant. Then I unfortunately gained more weight ending up at 185. I went on a strenuous weight lifting and higher protein plan, lost 10 pounds, gained probably 7 pounds of muscle and ended wearing a size 12 pants at 175 pounds. This wasn't really my plan, but it was how my body responded.

From what I understand about physiology, it's really important for aging people to keep the muscle intact and to increase if possible. Since I've been weight training I NEVER catch a cold, and I recover from injuries very quickly. If women, especially, build their muscles they protect their bones as well.

Another point is that culture often determines what we consider a "normal" body shape.

When I was in Tanzania this summer I was very interested to see that the Maasai men are very very thin, but not skinny thin. They have high muscle mass. They would be considered "underweight" by the BMI tables. That's a joke. They spend their days achieving the kinds of endurance feats that we do for sport in western countries. The Maasai women would probably be considered "overweight" in our culture but in Massai culture a woman's round figure is considered attractive. And these women eat the same food that the men do. And they do more of the work around the village. These are strong women. Also, traditionally these people are long lived, unless they get eaten by a lion, gored by a cape buffalo or stomped by an elephant. Now though the young men are going to the city and getting AIDs.

I have to say too that it was a very pleasant experience, as a middle aged woman with a "round" figure, to experience the admiration of and compliments from many Africa men who were much younger than I but who didn't think I was "old" and said I was "very beautiful."

Ok, back to the ole US of A. I know I'm overweight with a BMI of 29 and am working on changing that. :D

Last edited:
Remember the "fat boy" program? That worked pretty well through embarrassment. Probably don't have it anymore, now it would be the "fat person" program, but it wouldn't have the same effect.

I remember that program very well. I was an annual candidate, due to muscle mass. I called it that up until the day I left five years ago and currently have to work closely with the military people. I must blend in well because every once in a while I still hear the term when the old school NCO's talk.

I have to say too that it was a very pleasant experience, as a middle aged woman with a "round" figure, to experience the admiration of and compliments from many Africa men who were much younger than I but who didn't think I was "old" and said I was "very beautiful."

You may meet American men every day who also think that your womanly figure is very beautiful. They just are not saying it because they are tired of getting kicked in the crotch for mentioning things like this.

Ha

:kicks haha in the crotch for mentioning a thing like that:

;)

One problem with the word "obese" is that in popular usage, it usually refers to super-kanooper fat people, as in "Whoa, that guy is o-BESE!" The definition used in relation to these BMI numbers is more like "[FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]Obesity is an excess of body fat that frequently results in a significant impairment of health."

Common Usage Obese:

225629_fat_guy_in_car.jpg

Medical usage obese:

american-idol-jordin-sparks-400a052307.jpg

1454461781_955a175261_m.jpg

[/FONT]

I am right on the cusp between "ideal" and "overweight." On a good day I drop down into ideal. On a bad day, or after a meal, I tip over into overweight. Or maybe all that muscle I imagine in my self image is messing up the scale.

BMI & tall/short folks

I'm 6' 8" (203cm) tall. At 260 lbs., the BMI says I'm morbidly obese. The BMI indicated that I should weigh about 210 lbs. I haven't been at that weight since my 2nd year in middle school (where I was a skinny 'beanpole', as my old photos will attest).

Without any evidence, I would suspect that a normally-proportioned young lady of Vietnamese or hmong heritage, standing 4' 9" (145cm) and weighing about 90 lbs., would be considered anorexic.

So I did a little basic research--surprisingly hard to find--and discovered that, in the large sample used to 'norm' the statistics that underly the BMI, there were NO SUBJECTS that registered beyond +/- 2 standard deviations beyond the mean.
Simply put, very tall or very short folks were left out of the calculations. Why? I couldn't get an objective answer to that, but I suspect that the 'curve' fit for the BMI is ogive (that is, "S"-shaped, with non-linear curves at the the ends). In order to have an easily caluculated metric, with no nasty non-linearities in it, such folks were just 'snipped' from the sample, called 'outliers,' & ignored/forgotten.

So, as far as the BMI goes, no giants or midgets need apply.:bat:

Simply put, very tall or very short folks were left out of the calculations. Why? I couldn't get an objective answer to that, but I suspect that the 'curve' fit for the BMI is ogive (that is, "S"-shaped, with non-linear curves at the the ends). In order to have an easily caluculated metric, with no nasty non-linearities in it, such folks were just 'snipped' from the sample, called 'outliers,' & ignored/forgotten.

So, as far as the BMI goes, no giants or midgets need apply.:bat:

Right.

I suspect the reasons related to lack of sufficient participants to have statistical "power."

As with many things like this, you have to apply a sanity check for extraordinary circumstances. Here another: ideal body weight for men =

110 + 6lbs per inch over 5'

So for 6'8 you have 110+(6*20) = 240lbs

For women it's:

100 + 5 lbs per inch over 5'

I don't know that those have been tested scientifically regarding risk, etc. but they provide a quick rule of thumb corresponding to the upper end of normal body weight.

Back
Top Bottom