View Poll Results: My BMI is...
Under 18.5 (underweight) 1 0.85%
18.5 to 24.9 (ideal) 54 46.15%
25 to 29.9 (overweight) 43 36.75%
> 30 (obese) 19 16.24%
Voters: 117. You may not vote on this poll

Old 11-03-2007, 04:36 PM   #21
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

hmmmm I'm not over weight ... just too short.
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-03-2007, 04:42 PM   #22

here's the obese, 30 pt bmi me. i look really unhealthy don't i? no wonder the insurance company penalized me for being too fat. by the time i get rid of that gut i'll likely bulk up another 10 lbs as i tend to put on muscle pretty easily having never been quite petite.

"life should begin with age and its privileges and accumulations, and end with youth and its capacity to splendidly enjoy such advantages."~~mark twain - letter to edward kimmitt 1901
lazygood4nothinbum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2007, 04:57 PM   #23
Recycles dryer sheets

I don't think you look over weight at all LG4NB.

Look very healthy.
Old 11-03-2007, 05:20 PM   #24
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by haha View Post
Clearly BMI is a very gross and misleading measure, probably invented to make possible cheap and easy retrospective studies of medical records. Who cares if the studies are useless; at least you get one more listing in your bibliography.
Bray, G. (a skinny galactically famous obesity researcher) says (with light edits for brevity, references vetted):
  • A study of over 100,000 nurses aged 30 to 55 years found that weight loss of more than 5 kg was associated with a graded decrease in the risk of diabetes mellitus . Similarly, in the Swedish Obesity Study, diabetes was present in between 13 and 15 percent of obese subjects at baseline. Among those who underwent gastric bypass and subsequently lost weight, 69 percent with type 2 diabetes were cured, while only 0.5 percent of those who did not have diabetes at baseline developed the disorder In comparison, obese subjects who did not lose weight had a much lower cure rate (16 percent) and a higher incidence of type 2 diabetes (8 percent). Weight reduction also leads to an improvement in insulin sensitivity.
  • A prospective study evaluated 28,388 overweight women aged 40 to 64 years: intentional weight loss of more than 9.1 kg was associated with a 25 percent decrease in all-cause, cardiovascular and cancer mortality. In addition, among 15,069 women with comorbid conditions such as heart disease or diabetes mellitus, any amount of intentional weight loss was associated with a 10 percent reduction in cardiovascular disease, a 20 percent reduction in all-cause mortality, a 30 to 40 percent reduction in mortality from diabetes, and a 40 to 50 percent reduction in mortality from cancers related to obesity....
  • Weight reduction lowers blood pressure in more than one-half of treated subjects. On average, the blood pressure falls 0.3 to 1.0 mmHg for every 1.0 kg of weight that is lost. Those who maintain weight loss maintain lower blood pressure than those who regain weight.
  • Weight reduction will lower serum lipid concentrations and improve glucose tolerance. As an example, two-year data on the subjects who did or did not lose weight in the Swedish Obesity Study found that there was a linear decrease in serum glucose, insulin, and triglyceride concentrations with increasing weight loss. Serum high-density-lipoprotein (HDL) cholesterol concentrations rose in parallel with the weight loss. Serum low-density-lipoprotein (LDL) and total cholesterol concentrations did not decrease with weight loss until body weight had decreased by 20 percent.
  • Weight loss is associated with a decreased risk of osteoarthritis. In a study of 800 women a decrease in BMI of 2 kg/m2 or more during the previous 10 years decreased the odds for developing osteoarthritis by over 50 percent. This benefit extended to women with a high risk for osteoarthritis due to a high baseline BMI (25 kg/m2)...
But I do agree with you that to the obesity-numbed American eye, lots of overweight people "look" just fine to me.

As if you didn't know..If the above message contains medical content, it's NOT intended as advice, and may not be accurate, applicable or sufficient. Don't rely on it for any purpose. Consult your own doctor for all medical advice.
Rich_by_the_Bay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2007, 05:36 PM   #25

I'm at 29 and close to "obese," but that's very hard to believe. I work out quite a bit, am very active, and sure I'm overweight but not couch potato. My ideal weight is 180, what I was in the USAF 20 years ago, and now I'm 200 so I also don't understand how 20 pounds gets me in the obese category. The other problem, I've shrunk an inch since then which makes my BMI higher. I'm sure there are other rants I can think of about this BMI stuff right after I finish my double cheeseburger.
FinallyRetired is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2007, 05:48 PM   #26
Full time employment: Posting here.

Well, I'm 'obese'. (Not far into it, but obese by the formula.)

Now, I'll admit that losing some weight would be a good idea - and I'm actually on that track, down about 10 pounds from my peak weight - but OBESE? I don't think so.

Nords link is enlightening - and here's another test of BMI - drop in the heights and weights of your favorite (or least favorite!) hockey team - see where they fall...
TickTock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2007, 05:55 PM   #27
Moderator Emeritus

They still could be overweight.

I keep thinking of my skinny old grandpa who lived to 99.

Also, look at professional dancers. I have spent some time around a fair number of professional ballet dancers lately and they are strong as an ox and quite thin.

I need to lose some weight. Tough for me, I am so dang impulsive.

No more lawyer stuff, no more political stuff, so no more CYA

Martha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2007, 05:56 PM   #28
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Rich, I don't doubt any of the points you have listed. Deliberately losing fat is a well proven pathway to improved health. My quibble is as I said- BMI is a crude measure of body fat %, thus not particularly useful clinical as opposed to epidemiological inquiry.

There are plenty of male and female athletes with low body fat %, who nevertheless have BMI in the "overweight" category. These people are not going to find themselves into any of the studies of the type that you referenced. So while BMI is probably often a good proxy for body fat %, it falls down with a trained basically mesomorphic individual.

Take the stated bodyweights and heights of NFL safeties and DBs, as well as running backs, tight ends, receivers. Plenty of them will have BMI over 25, but as I sit here with my 22.5 it is very clear that these guys have body fat % much lower than mine.

Ha
Old 11-03-2007, 05:59 PM   #29
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Martha View Post
... I am so dang impulsive.
Martha, could you describe the impulse that you are expressing through your new avatar?

Ha
Old 11-03-2007, 06:03 PM   #30
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by lazygood4nothinbum View Post
here's the obese, 30 pt bmi me.
You oughta remove that huge blue growth from your wrist. That'd probably put your BMI right back to normal.
Be fearful when others are greedy, and greedy when others are fearful. Just another form of "buy low, sell high" for those who have trouble with things. This rule is not universal. Do not buy a 1973 Pinto because everyone else is afraid of it.
cute fuzzy bunny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2007, 06:03 PM   #31

Selected hockey players:

Paul Kariya (5' 10", 180#) BMI 25.8, overweight (but not by much)

Pavel Datsyuk (5' 11", 194#) BMI 27.1, solidly overweight

Chris Pronger (6' 6", 213#) BMI 24.6 normal weight (but not by much)

Dwane Roloson (6' 1", 180#) BMI 23.7 normal weight (in the top 50%, though)

Dang! With these professional athletes on the high end of the scale, what chance do we normal humans have

Thought... what about movie stars?
TickTock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2007, 06:13 PM   #32
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by TromboneAl View Post
What do you mean about the "misuse?" There was only one for which the classification did not seem right to me.
What a weird perceptual tossing on the ear that show is. I agree that just about everyone labeled overweight or worse looked plenty overweight to me.

What was bizarre was women who were a little shorter than me and about my weight who looked pretty darn skinny. And women that are a foot shorter and a hundred pounds heavier that looked fat but I wouldnt have guessed their weight to be that high.

Most of the people labeled underweight looked like they could poke holes in your skin with their elbows and knees. Maybe we can take up a collection to buy them a sammich?
Be fearful when others are greedy, and greedy when others are fearful. Just another form of "buy low, sell high" for those who have trouble with things. This rule is not universal. Do not buy a 1973 Pinto because everyone else is afraid of it.
cute fuzzy bunny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2007, 07:52 PM   #33
Give me a forum ...

Rich is right, it is the super-skinny who live the longest. BMI is a shortcut, best used for typical American couch potatoes, and was never intended for use in weightlifters and pro athletes. In athletes, they use the more sophisticated and accurate measure of body fat. And not what you get from those ridiculous scales and biometric impedence devices--they use the calipers and hydrostatic weighing and the like.
But BMI will tell your average American how far past the mark they are. I was a 31, now a 22.

If you want to know your bodyfat, get calipers or even more fun, the BodPod, which mimics hydrostatic weighing--if you can. I used the one at the Citadel here in Charleston--pretty cool!

Sarah in SC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2007, 08:36 PM   #34
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sarah in SC View Post
I was a 31, now a 22.
You little devil - when did you do that? Since we saw you?

Nice job!

As if you didn't know..If the above message contains medical content, it's NOT intended as advice, and may not be accurate, applicable or sufficient. Don't rely on it for any purpose. Consult your own doctor for all medical advice.
Rich_by_the_Bay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2007, 10:30 PM   #35
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich_in_Tampa View Post
But I do agree with you that to the obesity-numbed American eye, lots of overweight people "look" just fine to me.
When I look at WWII photos I'm amazed at how skinny everyone is.

Then I remember that civilian rationing, shipboard/battlefield food, and tobacco all contributed to that svelte fashion.

I'll just keep an eye on the waistline and stop worrying about the scale or BMI.

Co-author (with my daughter) of “Raising Your Money-Savvy Family For Next Generation Financial Independence.”
Author of the book written on E-R.org: "The Military Guide to Financial Independence and Retirement."

I don't spend much time here— please send a PM.
Nords is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2007, 11:00 PM   #36
Recycles dryer sheets

I haven't looked at BMI recently, but the calculator says I am 23.6, which is suspicious given the obvious spare tire I'm carrying...

NotSoonEnough is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2007, 11:05 PM   #37

At ER I was somewhere around 30 BMI. Started 3 day a week exercise routine at ER and have kept it up pretty much for some seven years now. BMI hovering around 25 now.
Old 11-03-2007, 11:22 PM   #38

At ER I was well into obese BMI, now I'm just barely into overweight. ER is good for my health! Nothing like just under two hours a day at the gym and a healthy low-cal diet. What working person has time for that?!

I agree we as a society have forgotten what a healthy body looks like. My friends who are still desk-bound bureaucrats think I look "thin" but when I compare myself to the athletes at the gym, it's clear that I need to lose more adipose tissue, bulging biceps or no.
toofrugalformycat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2007, 04:01 AM   #39

I am borderline overweight and obese (BMI 29/30). It all depends if I've eaten. My current body fat level is just under 20%, and going down. My BMI, unfortunately, is going up due to physical training for a new job.

When I was in the military the Air Force Times had a huge headline saying the majority of the Air Force members were overweight. The article went on to say the reason most were overweight was because they were weight training. At the time I had just come back from being a gym rat while on deployment and was solidly obese.
Old 11-04-2007, 06:56 AM   #40
Recycles dryer sheets

My BMI is 19.8. Does that mean I'm a string bean? I don't think so. I'm just very tall for a woman - taller than the average man (I'm 5'11''). Seems like gender should factor in here somewhere... shouldn't the average man be heavier than a tall woman?

Charlotte
Charlotte is offline   Reply With Quote