What's Your Buzz?

In colloquial terms, my buzz was weed. Never smoked cigarettes and didn't much drink once I got into my 20's. In the sense being used here, I wish I could say I have something that I get a buzz from. It's similar to the question of whether or not one has found their passion. I have not. I'm happy and enjoy my day to day life, but I'm still looking for my passion. Great to hear from those who have.

In colloquial terms, my buzz was weed. Never smoked cigarettes and didn't much drink once I got into my 20's. In the sense being used here, I wish I could say I have something that I get a buzz from. It's similar to the question of whether or not one has found their passion. I have not. I'm happy and enjoy my day to day life, but I'm still looking for my passion. Great to hear from those who have.

Yeah, I envy people with a true passion for SOMETHING. I don't much care what it is, but I wish I had one. I'm mostly happy and reasonably well adjusted. Probably the closest I come to a passion is music - mostly oldies (60s through 70s).

Competitive cyclist here; mountain, cyclocross and gravel. If it has two wheels and pedals, I’m going to race it!

My buzz starts with the nerves at the starting line. Guys line up and stage for a good start. And you got to avoid staging behind that guy with the latest expensive bike who talks loud and starts slow!!!

Then the man says “GO” and it’s game on. Heart rate climbs, adrenaline starts working, heart and lungs shift gears and you aim for that first corner to get the hole shot. After you carve around that corner continue to accelerate to race speed, connect with your team mates and settle in for the race …. The buzz is on!!!!!

Mine is being in the outdoors. Working at ranch, hiking, bike riding, hunting/fishing. The outdoors is good for my soul and whatever ails me.

I'm not a runner, and a low to moderate drinker (~2-3X per week). My main rush is from exploring grand landscapes.

Additive to the nature experience is the thrill of an unexpected wildlife encounter.

Like the time we were hiking through the ancient Bristlecone pine forest on the backside of Great Basin NP when we spooked a deer. It stopped a few yards away, turned and hissed. Then we noticed the long tail. After a brief stare down, it was gone in a flash. Cool!

Closed to traffic back roads are a cyclists best friend.
In a dense old growth forest near Mt St Helens, I was cruising along enjoying the peace, when a thundering herd of Roosevelt elk came charging by on a barely visible parallel trail at slightly quicker pace. How they could run that fast without hooking an antler, surreal!
Picture that scene in “Never Cry Wolf” where Charles Martin Smith is running naked amongst a herd of caribou.

Last edited:
Super aggressive, high stakes advantage play.

What regular people call "gambling"

Deer hiss?

We see them on or close to our place now and then but I don't recall ever hearing them vocalize.

The outdoors is great. I like hiking in the hills sometimes. The buzz is when I have to stop to catch my breath, I guess. :angel:

Highest heart rate spike I probably ever had was running on a trail and hearing a telltale rattle and then seeing a coiled rattler on the trail just a few feet in front of me. Twice. I managed to stop both times and go around, but that was nerve racking too because off trail it was overgrown and I didn't know if there would be any others.

Highest heart rate spike I probably ever had was running on a trail and hearing a telltale rattle and then seeing a coiled rattler on the trail just a few feet in front of me. Twice. I managed to stop both times and go around, but that was nerve racking too because off trail it was overgrown and I didn't know if there would be any others.

Growing up in the Mojave desert, I became fairly familiar with snakes of all types.
My dad used to supply live rattlers to a local herpetologist to be milked for venom. He was quite nonchalant about the whole thing, ‘respect but don’t fear’.
Depending on the size and outside temperature, 2-3’ should be adequate clearance for a coiled rattler, if they are stretched across the trail, I usually just jump over the tail end and keep on running. :greetings10:

Last edited:
Going to concerts, singing along to the songs and losing my voice. Sort of acting like a teenager except without getting next to the stage with the speakers in my ears.

I've got Bob Dylan coming up (not a sing-along person), plus The Eagles and then the Stones in the summer.

Unfortunately each year they get fewer and farther between concerts.

Run, bike, mj...sure. All of the above. I set a PR on my bike the day of my sister's funeral and haven't been able to break it in almost 3 years now.

I don't know if that was a high, or euphoria or just a lot of adrenaline. I was cruising and it felt effortless. My breathing felt unlabored and as efficient as ever...everything around me sort of narrowed in to just my extreme biking.

I've had runners high a few times for sure. I enjoy running and sort of relish in the soreness. But if I run too much my body fights back. Still pretty young at 42 but I can feel it.

Yeah, I envy people with a true passion for SOMETHING. I don't much care what it is, but I wish I had one. I'm mostly happy and reasonably well adjusted. Probably the closest I come to a passion is music - mostly oldies (60s through 70s).
Similar here. I make music, but that's been on the down slope, and it's been fun, but never a passion. Occasionally I get in a zone with my meditation, but it's far from what I'd call a buzz. No exercise has ever been a buzz for me. Being in nature, to some extent, so out on my bike, time can really fly, but it's less about the exercise and more about the outdoors.

I get a hiker’s high hiking up mountains. Good cardio workout with less wear on joints.
With 1 artificial hip, I gave up running years ago.
I traded miles on the pavement for miles on forest trails. I am not complaining.

I always felt a sense of exhilaration at the end of every day I was on trial.

Most any longtime athlete has experienced the ‘good day’ phenomenon where everything just clicked or they are ‘In the zone’.;)

Hee, I was self-taught in tennis, recruited in 10th grade to fill out the team in a small town in Oklahama and always 5th or 6th on my tennis team in Western Oklahoma.Everyone above me had had lessons for 5 or 6 years. But there was the immortal day we went to play (at Woodward--maybe Edmond?), it was cancelled because of wind and then the conditions eased, so we just played each other, since we had driven for an hour to two to get there. I beat everyone in single sets, including the guy who won state the previous year.

Two days later I was back to my norm, which was a really good backhand, intermittant forehand, decent serve, and terrible overhead. For a day, though, I crushed EVERYTHING--the ball looked like a watermelon and I was crunching everything in the middle of my racket.
Had runner's highs multiple times at the end of undergrad and beginning of grad school. A couple times hikers highs but not so much.

But even I can be great for a single day.

Last edited:
Any exercise in the morning makes me feel great. Swimming, walking, biking or yoga. Most times after yoga I feel so good, no matter the time of day. As for the other I like one Corona, glass of wine or a nice margarita.

Growing up in the Mojave desert, I became fairly familiar with snakes of all types.
My dad used to supply live rattlers to a local herpetologist to be milked for venom. He was quite nonchalant about the whole thing, ‘respect but don’t fear’.
Depending on the size and outside temperature, 2-3’ should be adequate clearance for a coiled rattler, if they are stretched across the trail, I usually just jump over the tail end and keep on running. :greetings10:

What? Are you saying RunningBum should have just jumped over the snake? Yikes!

What? Are you saying RunningBum should have just jumped over the snake? Yikes!

Ah yes, the buzz of a different kind.
No, I realize my background puts me in the extreme minority, I welcome the encounter with a rattlesnake. Cool!
And…….., I have read enough trail journals to know that RunningBum’s reaction is the common one.
I trust he did the right thing for his situation.
After all, the prime rule when dealing with venomous snakes is, don’t get bit.

Ah yes, the buzz of a different kind.
No, I realize my background puts me in the extreme minority, I welcome the encounter with a rattlesnake. Cool!
And…….., I have read enough trail journals to know that RunningBum’s reaction is the common one.
I trust he did the right thing for his situation.
After all, the prime rule when dealing with venomous snakes is, don’t get bit.
I been really lucky in life not to have had a bad experience with a rattler. I have come close many times. I could tell a few stories from my encounters with them. Lol

Back
Top Bottom