Join Early Retirement Today

When does one contemplate knee replacements?
Old 04-30-2016, 04:14 PM   #1
Gone but not forgotten

Send a message via AIM to Khan
When does one contemplate knee replacements?

The Naproxen is starting to lose ground against the arthritic knees. How desperate do I have to be?
What is the cost?

Sent from my SPH-L720T using Early Retirement Forum mobile app
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-30-2016, 04:19 PM   #2
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Khan View Post
The Naproxen is starting to lose ground against the arthritic knees. How desperate do I have to be?
What is the cost?

Sent from my SPH-L720T using Early Retirement Forum mobile app
Depends on how much pain you can tolerate and how good your insurance is. Oh, pick a really good surgeon and check references.
Old 04-30-2016, 04:52 PM   #3
Gone but not forgotten

You will know when it is time . The pain will be overpowering . If you have medicare & federal insurance it should be totally covered .
Moemg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2016, 04:53 PM   #4
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Location: Spending the Kids Inheritance and living in Chicago
Or get really good at using a wheel chair.

Seriously, knee surgery is fairly common, not like head transplants (soon there will be the first one).
Sunset is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2016, 05:06 PM   #5
Recycles dryer sheets

No knee replacements but I have had three shoulder replacements due to complications. I endured a lot of pain and discomfort for several years before my first replacement. IMO when you can no longer tolerate your declining quality of life then it's time for surgery.
2soon2tell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2016, 05:33 PM   #6
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Khan View Post
What is the cost?
I am sorry that you are going through this! I have not had knee surgery. But, from what I understand, you need to be desperate enough to endure a fairly long recovery period. If it was me, I'd be pretty backed into a corner before I'd get it. But others are braver than I am.

Basically I have zero information but wanted to extend my sympathies and my hopes that all works out for the best.

Happily retired since 2009, at age 61. Best years of my life by far!
W2R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2016, 05:52 PM   #7
Give me a forum ...

I was first diagnosed with bone-on-bone (no cartilage) osteoarthritis in both knees by an orthopedic surgeon in 1998, (confirmed by another one in 2001); both said that "Sooner or later, you'll require knee replacements......make it 'later' if possible".

However, it appears that I'm one of the fortunate few in this situation who don't suffer from excruciating pain, so with luck the 'later' will be 'much later'.

From what little I've read, replacements are not a panacea, nor will they make one a Bionic Man/Woman able to engage in athletic endeavors of all kinds......they appear to be strictly good for pain relief.

Good luck, please keep us informed of your decision/progress.

The Winter's Tale, William Shakespeare
Nemo2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2016, 05:53 PM   #8
Moderator Emeritus

BIL had both knees replaced a few years ago. Recovery was the tough part. But this was nothing compared to his heart transplant last year.
Old 04-30-2016, 05:55 PM   #9

Unlike a back, everyone I've heard with knee replacements is pretty happy after, and usually says they would have done it sooner knowing the result. Pain is one deciding factor, but also if you are limiting yourself (i.e. not traveling as much and limiting your life) then it may be time.

RayinPenn will be along in this thread soon enough with recent experience.
Aerides is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2016, 07:22 PM   #10
Give me a forum ...

I have only had a hip, no knees. Recovery from the hip replacement was fast and essentially painless. Doc told me not to skip rope, not to jog or sprint, but ok to run if I needed to. He said, "Ok to run away from bad guys." So this is what I have done. For me it is not like my own good hip, but it is a real improvement over the severely damaged one I had replaced.
Apparently hips tend to be better than knees, knees better than shoulders, ankles and other joints. And really try to avoid back surgery. I have one friend who has had 5 of these, and it gets worse every one. He says he is done with trying this.

One surgeon told me that he has patients who are joggers who have essentially no cartilage in their knees, and yet they do not have extreme pain running long distances. So it just seems to boil down to your degree of pain and or disability. I second what Aja said, choose a very experienced, active surgeon. It's not just him, but the whole team that gets better every one they do.

Ha
Old 04-30-2016, 08:27 PM   #11
Recycles dryer sheets

Have you tried the Synovial fluid shots? They can help a lot. I had 3 shots of Orthovisc and it was like a new knee for a year.
Livefree is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2016, 10:14 PM   #12
Give me a forum ...

Sorry you're going through this, Khan. Luckily, you are now in the land of knee and hip replacements. It shouldn't be difficult to find a quality surgeon for this procedure. I suspect there are more plastic joints in SWFL per capita than anywhere else in the nation.
Old 04-30-2016, 11:06 PM   #13
Give me a forum ...

Location: Spending the Kids Inheritance and living in Chicago
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nemo2 View Post
.....From what little I've read, replacements are not a panacea, nor will they make one a Bionic Man/Woman able to engage in athletic endeavors of all kinds......they appear to be strictly good for pain relief.
I have a relative who was in pain for years, hobbling along like a crippled monster movie, could barely get up from chairs, walked very slowly.

She had both knees done, and now walks like a human without pain at normal speed. No she does not run marathons, but the improvement is far beyond simple pain relief.
Sunset is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2016, 05:39 AM   #14
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sunset View Post
I have a relative who was in pain for years, hobbling along like a crippled monster movie, could barely get up from chairs, walked very slowly.

She had both knees done, and now walks like a human without pain at normal speed. No she does not run marathons, but the improvement is far beyond simple pain relief.
That's superb, good for her, and great to hear!

The minimal 'research' I engaged in, I admit, was from the perspective of my own condition, and how knee implants might impact on someone in the same situation....it's encouraging to hear that there are others who can receive substantially more benefits.

The Winter's Tale, William Shakespeare
Nemo2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2016, 11:38 AM   #15
Gone but not forgotten

My Mother has a knee replacement at 92 and did fine was able to walk without a cane . My SO had a knee replacement last year at age 68 and also did great . He only used a walker for a week and never needed a cane .
Moemg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2016, 01:43 PM   #16
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

My mom and MIL have had both knees replaced, MIL did the second knee just last Tuesday. No giant problems before surgery, just limping a bit and pain but still functional. Both happy to get the second one done.
Animorph is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2016, 01:59 PM   #17
Gone but not forgotten

Am sure you've explored the alternatives, but... FWIW

Knee Replacement Surgery Alternatives - Howard J. Luks, MD:

One of my friends swears by arthroscopic surgery for some situations.

http://orthoinfo.aaos.org/topic.cfm?topic=a00299

Same website discusses polyethelene inserts, which my friend had.

Best of luck... big decision.
imoldernu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2016, 03:56 PM   #18
Recycles dryer sheets

Knee injections definitely have a diminishing return. I've seen people get up to a year benefit from the first injection, then sometimes a few months from the 2nd, and usually by the time you're on your third injection you get almost no benefit. Cortisone is not good for the knee cartilage, however if you're going to be getting your knee replaced, it doesn't really matter and you might get a little benefit.
I would talk to several physical therapist in your area and find out who seems to get the best results. Knee replacement is a very large surgery. You will have a lot of pain and a lot of swelling, however within a month you should be doing excellent. Knee replacement surgery is for pain and function, however you should not run for cardiovascular exercising on a knee replacement. We have people all the time golfing, skiing, and other outdoor activities without any issues.
Callitaday2022 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2016, 04:27 PM   #19
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by aja8888 View Post
Depends on how much pain you can tolerate and how good your insurance is. Oh, pick a really good surgeon and check references.
+1. DW had ankle replacement 2 years ago, with excellent results, even tougher recovery than a knee. She has hip replacement this week, easier recovery than a knee. We're very optimistic.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Animorph View Post
My mom and MIL have had both knees replaced, MIL did the second knee just last Tuesday. No giant problems before surgery, just limping a bit and pain but still functional. Both happy to get the second one done.
+1. DW's Mom had both knees replaced, recovery is challenging but her results were positively life changing.

Target AA: 50% equity funds / 45% bonds / 5% cash
Target WR: Approx 1.5% Approx 20% SI (secure income, SS only)
Midpack is online now   Reply With Quote