Who eats bacon?

We prefer less salty bacon, so after curing and rinsing off the cure, I soak it in fresh water for a couple of hours (refrigerated) and then rinse that off, dry it well before smoking.

Anyway, that gets the salt level just right for our taste.

Also, DH can’t stand the saltiness of store bought corned beef. But I found that a good rinse and a soak or two made all the difference.

However, next time I will make the corned beef at home. He’s leery of the corned beef and or pastrami I want to make but I reminded DH how much he loves my homemade bacon.

Speaking of bacon - just picked this up.

DH promises to fry me up some oysters! :dance:

Attachments

• AF5619AD-214A-42CC-97EC-786A21427D39.jpeg
    AF5619AD-214A-42CC-97EC-786A21427D39.jpeg
    329 KB · Views: 22
... next time I will make the corned beef at home. He’s leery of the corned beef and or pastrami I want to make but I reminded DH how much he loves my homemade bacon.
Fear not! It's easy, just like bacon. The only difference is what goes into the curing container. That said, I didn't find home-made corned beef to be much different than the store stuff. Both the home-made and the store corned beef went into the smoker to begin noble careers as pastrami.

Fear not! It's easy, just like bacon. The only difference is what goes into the curing container. That said, I didn't find home-made corned beef to be much different than the store stuff. Both the home-made and the store corned beef went into the smoker to begin noble careers as pastrami.
Yeah, I’m not worried. It’s just his visceral reaction to the store bought stuff and I know how to reduce the salty taste.

He’s always thought pastrami too salty and I hope to pleasantly surprise him.

Last edited:
I've also made my own corned beef and like it best. But when I want to make pastrami I always just use the supermarket kind. Soaked and rinsed very well to reduce the saltiness, it makes perfect pastrami.

Good stuff. Makes a nice keto-friendly meatloaf, among other things.

I use ground almonds (freshly ground myself) as th pe binder to make crab cakes. I’ll have to try this.

To me bacon goes extremely well with any kind of shellfish. It’s an essential ingredient in my version of Oysters Rockefeller.

My favorite recipe for pan seared scallops involves Spanish chorizo. https://www.nigella.com/recipes/scallops-and-chorizo

Last edited:
nope. many reasons: health, environment, workers, animals. the majority of the industry is owned by just 4 corporations. and now there are many tasty plant-based options.

bring on the hate.

Certainly no hate. I have honestly tried to like a number of the plant-based options and simply find them unpalatable. And talk about SALT!

I've also made my own corned beef and like it best. But when I want to make pastrami I always just use the supermarket kind. Soaked and rinsed very well to reduce the saltiness, it makes perfect pastrami.

Our local bagel place sells NY based Carnegie Deli corned beef and pastrami. Delicious even though the actual restaurant has closed down, but they still sell their food.

nope. many reasons: health, environment, workers, animals. the majority of the industry is owned by just 4 corporations. and now there are many tasty plant-based options.

bring on the hate.

please tell me you mean unprocessed options.

the highly-processed meat substitutes designed to 'bleed' on a grill creep me out.

i'd rather have lentil stew & a spinach salad.

I love bacon too, however we're eating less of it. I'm not going to pay $7 a lb. for premium bacon when I can get Walmart's house brand for $4.

And the price of eggs skyrocketed to $4.50 a dozen on January 1st so we're eating less of them too.

Breakfast sausage is up $1.00 a lb. to $4.48 at Walmart and we're going through about 2 lbs. a week for the whole family.

You've got to eat something for breakfast. Oatmeal and Grits are just not that appetizing. And our doctor calls cereal "Garbage in a Box."

Turkey bacon for me. But that too is on pause due to the price of eggs. I'll have bacon and eggs in the morning when prices come down to reasonable prices.

bring on the hate.

+1, a fairly recent choice for me, I say no to pork mostly because of the animal cruelty which seems especially extreme with pigs. I loved bacon and I don't substitute with plant options. There's lots of other good things to eat. I don't make a big deal about it, and I never bother to explain when my sister mentions I don't like ham that it's not the taste I don't like. I was happy when my daughter said their household had made the same choice. Their household includes the daughter of a pig farmer.

+1, a fairly recent choice for me, I say no to pork mostly because of the animal cruelty which seems especially extreme with pigs. I loved bacon and I don't substitute with plant options. There's lots of other good things to eat. I don't make a big deal about it, and I never bother to explain when my sister mentions I don't like ham that it's not the taste I don't like. I was happy when my daughter said their household had made the same choice. Their household includes the daughter of a pig farmer.

Even if I disagree with someone's values, I try to respect them - especially when they live the values. Good on you.

I love bacon, but do not eat much anymore. If we are out and having a burger it will be a bacon cheeseburger unless I opt for a green chili cheeseburger. If it’s an omelette I’ll have it in the omelette. We stayed at a farm B&B in Kentucky in 2018. I think she sold and it’s no longer a B&B. At breakfast they always had a large self serve bowl of bacon on the table. I ate a lot as DW doesn’t eat it and most days we were the only ones there.

Eat bacon occasionally when visiting my elderly parents, but seldom buy it myself. Had kidney stone a year and a half back, and I struggle with not eating salt which bacon is loaded with. I always liked salt but the kidney stone was an eye-opener - pain was a new level of excruciating only matched by maybe bad low ankle sprain when alot younger. No more 'regular' bacon eating, only occasionally.

Eat bacon occasionally when visiting my elderly parents, but seldom buy it myself. Had kidney stone a year and a half back, and I struggle with not eating salt which bacon is loaded with. I always liked salt but the kidney stone was an eye-opener - pain was a new level of excruciating only matched by maybe bad low ankle sprain when alot younger. No more 'regular' bacon eating, only occasionally.

When I had kidney stones nothing was said about not eating bacon. I was told to avoid foods with high Oxalate content, which are mostly plant based foods like spinach, beets, nuts and others. I haven’t had a problem since I cut spinach from my diet.

Back
Top Bottom