Who takes a daily nap?

LXEX55

Recycles dryer sheets
Now that I am retired at age 65, I do something I really never did when I worked, even on weekends: I take a daily nap of less than one hour mid afternoon. Don't get me wrong, I am reasonably active, go the gym four times a week, do chin ups and stuff on local park equipment daily, but I still always fall asleep at about 3 every day. Have you folks noticed that you nap more now that you are not working?

We are the same age but I still work part-time. I would have a chance to nap, but I have never been able to do it. Even as a small child I could not nap. I do start to nod off while watching TV now and then, usually when I did not sleep well the night before. That is the closest I come to napping. I actually would like to be able to nap.

I’m 65 also and take a nap every day. Probably because I get up around 5 am and get tired around 1 or 2 pm.

My mom started taking 20 min power naps at around 70. She is very physically active and just zonks out about an hour after lunch. DH and I are in our 50s and will sometimes take a nap, usually if we’ve worked out or had a poor nights sleep the night before.

If I'm at home and especially if I start reading a book in the afternoon, I will take a nap. But if I'm doing something active, or out and about, it's no problem to skip it. I enjoy taking naps.

Never schedule one but at time it just happens. Lol They really do feel great when I take one in the chair.

I must need one if I can sleep.

Do you think that you might have a little sleep disorder if you fall to sleep in the afternoon? Apnea is especially common if you have a size 17 or larger shirt or of you weigh over 200 lbs.

I'm on CPAP and am an early riser. But I too like to take a little nap around 5:00 p.m. My pulmonologist has over 50 physicians on CPAP in our medium size community.

I am more likely than not to take a brief nap in the mid to late afternoon, if I feel like it. But it's not anything scheduled or required. It's really nice to be able to do that after all those years working when I couldn't take a nap.

I swim in the morning and then play 3-4 hours of pickleball. I come home, get a bite to eat, and then crash for an hour around 3pm. No way I can make it all the way through to the evening without my mid afternoon nap.

I take a nap almost every day at different times. Usually less than an hour but sometimes more. I know sleep any time I feel like it. I used to take a nap every Saturday afternoon before I retired. It was like a pastime and I used to love it. I can do it every day now. I try not to take a nap before playing sports as I get slow if I do.

I had a few Chinese coworkers and they took short naps after lunch at work. One took a nap at her desk in her cube with her head down on her desk, another in his office and another in his car in the parking lot. One of them told me it was a cultural thing.

Last edited:
Two a day is typical. Sometimes one, rarely 3.

One of my proudest achievements occurred twice. And that was 5 naps......while at work! One of those two times I was ill, and under medication so it doesn't really count. But the other time was legit.

My BMI is 20.5, and I often take naps. I get up at 4:30 to exercise, and like to stay up past 8:30 :D. Plus, all this posting wears me out :LOL:

Do you think that you might have a little sleep disorder if you fall to sleep in the afternoon? Apnea is especially common if you have a size 17 or larger shirt or of you weigh over 200 lbs.

I'm on CPAP and am an early riser. But I too like to take a little nap around 5:00 p.m. My pulmonologist has over 50 physicians on CPAP in our medium size community.

I would love to be able to take a nap. DW does it all the time.

But I have never in my life been able to do it. Just can't go to sleep in the middle of the day no matter how tired I might be. I'm jealous of those of you who can do it.

I call it my old man nap. Very pleasurable.

I've found that I'm also way more productive the second half of the day if I have one.

I swim in the morning and then play 3-4 hours of pickleball. I come home, get a bite to eat, and then crash for an hour around 3pm. No way I can make it all the way through to the evening without my mid afternoon nap.

Similar here.
Play pickleball for 3-4 hours daily, then do errands, etc and usually nap around 4pm for around 30 minutes.

Pre Covid, I would take a 15-20 minute nap in my car during the milder months. Working from home, it's pretty much every day after lunch, if I don't have a meeting! My Dad did this for as long as I remember - only wish I was as Zen as he was and that I can also live as long as he did.

I nod off with a book for a half hour many afternoons. But I have been getting up at 6:30 to deal with our puppy so I need the naps.

I usually take a 20 minute nap 5 hours after I wake up. And then I may take a nap after lunch with MsG before afternoon coffee.

I've been taking naps but they're totally due to not getting enough sleep or exercise. A few weeks ago I was in bed for 11 hours and probably slept at least 8 and I didn't need a nap that day. I think I just need a regular schedule and the right amount of exercise.

I would love to be able to take a nap. DW does it all the time.

But I have never in my life been able to do it. Just can't go to sleep in the middle of the day no matter how tired I might be. I'm jealous of those of you who can do it.

Same! Naps sound lovely. But I've only been able to do them if I'm sick, and then it's not so much a nap as passing out on the couch for a couple of hours, and then being super groggy.

Usually, I'll take a couple of short naps during the day if I'm just sitting around watching TV. Especially if there is nothing interesting on. However, if I'm busy (active) then I don't need the nap(s)... Heck I still pull all nighters about once a month, particularly when traveling.

Unless I'm traveling or have else something going on, I almost always take a 15-20 minute nap after lunch.

A book in the afternoon is a recipe for a nap, in my case, about half of the time. I strive to get high quality nightime sleep, and I'm usually successful, getting 8 hours, uninterrupted. But the 8 sometimes is quite "inefficient", taking up to 10 hours. Unfortunately, the waking spells are usually in the wee hours, so getting up for the day isn't an option. And I'm not very good at predicting how long it will take me to get back to sleep, so I just lay there. Half of the time it's 15 minutes and otherwise can go as long as 90. But strangely, I haven't seen an obvious correlation between the previous night and the next day nap proclivity.

One thing I've been much more successful at since retirement is going back to sleep in the morning. In the old days, once awake after 6, that was it. Now, if I haven't got my 8, I can always put the towel over my eyes and get the rest of my zzzz.

Last edited:
I sleep a good 7 hours each night then will wake up and can fall back to sleep for another hour if I want too. I generally get up at 5 to 530 and start my day. I can say if I want to nap, it is no problem falling to sleep during the day. I still seem to sleep 7 hours at night with no getting up.

Back
Top Bottom