Join Early Retirement Today

Who takes a daily nap?
Old 10-24-2020, 07:27 PM   #1
Recycles dryer sheets

Who takes a daily nap?

Now that I am retired at age 65, I do something I really never did when I worked, even on weekends: I take a daily nap of less than one hour mid afternoon. Don't get me wrong, I am reasonably active, go the gym four times a week, do chin ups and stuff on local park equipment daily, but I still always fall asleep at about 3 every day. Have you folks noticed that you nap more now that you are not working?
LXEX55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-24-2020, 07:59 PM   #2
Recycles dryer sheets

We are the same age but I still work part-time. I would have a chance to nap, but I have never been able to do it. Even as a small child I could not nap. I do start to nod off while watching TV now and then, usually when I did not sleep well the night before. That is the closest I come to napping. I actually would like to be able to nap.
Rocket Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2020, 08:12 PM   #3
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Have you folks noticed that you nap more now that you are not working?
I never took a nap at work. I don't take any now @ age 77. Just not needed by me.
Old 10-24-2020, 08:13 PM   #4
Moderator Emeritus

I’m 65 also and take a nap every day. Probably because I get up around 5 am and get tired around 1 or 2 pm.
Ronstar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2020, 08:17 PM   #5
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

My mom started taking 20 min power naps at around 70. She is very physically active and just zonks out about an hour after lunch. DH and I are in our 50s and will sometimes take a nap, usually if we’ve worked out or had a poor nights sleep the night before.
tb001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2020, 08:33 PM   #6
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

If I'm at home and especially if I start reading a book in the afternoon, I will take a nap. But if I'm doing something active, or out and about, it's no problem to skip it. I enjoy taking naps.
RunningBum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2020, 08:44 PM   #7
Give me a forum ...

Never schedule one but at time it just happens. Lol They really do feel great when I take one in the chair.

I must need one if I can sleep.
street is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2020, 08:56 PM   #8
Give me a forum ...

Do you think that you might have a little sleep disorder if you fall to sleep in the afternoon? Apnea is especially common if you have a size 17 or larger shirt or of you weigh over 200 lbs.

I'm on CPAP and am an early riser. But I too like to take a little nap around 5:00 p.m. My pulmonologist has over 50 physicians on CPAP in our medium size community.
Bamaman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2020, 09:21 PM   #9
Moderator Emeritus

I am more likely than not to take a brief nap in the mid to late afternoon, if I feel like it. But it's not anything scheduled or required. It's really nice to be able to do that after all those years working when I couldn't take a nap.

Happily retired since 2009, at age 61. Best years of my life by far!
W2R is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2020, 09:31 PM   #10

I swim in the morning and then play 3-4 hours of pickleball. I come home, get a bite to eat, and then crash for an hour around 3pm. No way I can make it all the way through to the evening without my mid afternoon nap.
Ready is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2020, 12:48 AM   #11
Give me a forum ...

I take a nap almost every day at different times. Usually less than an hour but sometimes more. I know sleep any time I feel like it. I used to take a nap every Saturday afternoon before I retired. It was like a pastime and I used to love it. I can do it every day now. I try not to take a nap before playing sports as I get slow if I do.

I had a few Chinese coworkers and they took short naps after lunch at work. One took a nap at her desk in her cube with her head down on her desk, another in his office and another in his car in the parking lot. One of them told me it was a cultural thing.
tmm99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2020, 01:05 AM   #12

Two a day is typical. Sometimes one, rarely 3.

One of my proudest achievements occurred twice. And that was 5 naps......while at work! One of those two times I was ill, and under medication so it doesn't really count. But the other time was legit.
Mr. Tightwad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2020, 03:26 AM   #13
Give me a forum ...

My BMI is 20.5, and I often take naps. I get up at 4:30 to exercise, and like to stay up past 8:30 . Plus, all this posting wears me out

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bamaman View Post
Do you think that you might have a little sleep disorder if you fall to sleep in the afternoon? Apnea is especially common if you have a size 17 or larger shirt or of you weigh over 200 lbs.

I'm on CPAP and am an early riser. But I too like to take a little nap around 5:00 p.m. My pulmonologist has over 50 physicians on CPAP in our medium size community.
Amethyst is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2020, 04:42 AM   #14

I would love to be able to take a nap. DW does it all the time.

But I have never in my life been able to do it. Just can't go to sleep in the middle of the day no matter how tired I might be. I'm jealous of those of you who can do it.
Old 10-25-2020, 05:14 AM   #15
Full time employment: Posting here.

I call it my old man nap. Very pleasurable.

I've found that I'm also way more productive the second half of the day if I have one.
JP.mpls is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2020, 05:41 AM   #16
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ready View Post
I swim in the morning and then play 3-4 hours of pickleball. I come home, get a bite to eat, and then crash for an hour around 3pm. No way I can make it all the way through to the evening without my mid afternoon nap.
Similar here.
Play pickleball for 3-4 hours daily, then do errands, etc and usually nap around 4pm for around 30 minutes.
Old 10-25-2020, 05:46 AM   #17

Pre Covid, I would take a 15-20 minute nap in my car during the milder months. Working from home, it's pretty much every day after lunch, if I don't have a meeting! My Dad did this for as long as I remember - only wish I was as Zen as he was and that I can also live as long as he did.
big-papa is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2020, 06:30 AM   #18
Give me a forum ...

I nod off with a book for a half hour many afternoons. But I have been getting up at 6:30 to deal with our puppy so I need the naps.
Old 10-25-2020, 06:33 AM   #19

I usually take a 20 minute nap 5 hours after I wake up. And then I may take a nap after lunch with MsG before afternoon coffee.
Old 10-25-2020, 06:35 AM   #20

I've been taking naps but they're totally due to not getting enough sleep or exercise. A few weeks ago I was in bed for 11 hours and probably slept at least 8 and I didn't need a nap that day. I think I just need a regular schedule and the right amount of exercise.
Boho is offline   Reply With Quote