Who takes turmeric supplements and why?

So for those of you taking this to ease joint pain,
inflammation or arthritis, are you also taking Osteo-type bone strengthening supplements like Glucosamine Chondroitin?

What about Vitamin D? Probiotics? The former also generally recommended to promote bone health and the latter, to promote healthy digestive and immune system.

Just wondering how many supplements someone's digestive system can handle...I guess that varies tremendously by individual?

Wasn't too familiar with turmeric until this thread.

Last edited:
Warning to those on blood thinners such as warfarin - turmeric will definitely raise your Prothrombin Time. As a warfarin addict for 23 years due to an aortic valve replacement, I have experienced the effect. My PT went from a steady 3.0 to 4.5 when I tried a turmeric supplement. Ceasing the supplement returned me to 3.0 very quickly.

I don't take turmeric alone, it is a part of an Immunity/vitamin type pill I take.

I have been following this thread with interest, and I have one question.

For those taking turmeric supplements, how do you know it's working/helping? Is it decreased pain and/or something else?

For those taking turmeric supplements, how do you know it's working/helping? Is it decreased pain and/or something else?

I’ve been using turmeric daily for 10+ years. It was recommended to me by a naturopath for back issues I’ve had my entire life (mild scoliosis). Typically I have 2 to 3 “episodes” a year that usually take 2 or 3 days to recover with stretches, massage, exercise, ice packs, etc. A couple of months ago, I quit taking turmeric to see if I noticed any difference. I didn’t, until I threw my back out over a week ago and I’m still trying to get back to normal. As of yesterday, I’m taking turmeric again. I’ve heard it takes awhile to build up in the body so it probably won’t help with my most recent issue. Purely anecdotal, yes, but I’m convinced it does help with inflammation and likely contributes to a quicker recovery at least in my situation.

I too take a combo pill for reducing uric acid that contains turmeric.
I will have 10 days of it done when I go for bloodwork for the uric acid levels and will report back. I will be tickled if it comes down. The reviews for this supplement are great as far as effectiveness for gout.
I don't have gout but the doc was concerned as I am on a very low calorie high protein diet that tends to elevate the uric acid.
Those reviews are all anecdotal, but mine will have several different blood works for a bit more scientific approach.

I take theracurmin because studies have shown it has an anti-inflammatory effect, and may be effective at reducing one's risk for pro-inflammatory diseases, like cancer, cardiovascular disease, and many others. So I am not looking for an immediate effect from taking it..........I take it more as insurance against these chronic diseases. I'm okay with that.

I take theracurmin because studies have shown it has an anti-inflammatory effect, and may be effective at reducing one's risk for pro-inflammatory diseases, like cancer, cardiovascular disease, and many others. So I am not looking for an immediate effect from taking it..........I take it more as insurance against these chronic diseases. I'm okay with that.

Do you (or others taking turmeric) also take probiotics or fish oil, that also may help with some of those same conditions? Or is Turmeric your preferred go-to?

I'm trying to figure out which (and how many) supplements deserve a place in my daily supplementation for preventative measures, vs those that may just dupe some of turmeric's same preventative qualities and can likely be ditched. Every doctor or nutritionist has a diff opinion. :(

Do you (or others taking turmeric) also take probiotics or fish oil, that also may help with some of those same conditions? Or is Turmeric your preferred go-to?

I'm trying to figure out which (and how many) supplements deserve a place in my daily supplementation for preventative measures, vs those that may just dupe some of turmeric's same preventative qualities and can likely be ditched. Every doctor or nutritionist has a diff opinion. :(

Yes, I do take a fish oil supplement also. I don't take a probiotic, because I already eat a lot of fermented foods. I do take several other supplements daily.......ones that have solid research backing up their anti-inflammatory and/or anti-cancer properties (or more general benefits, like increased longevity). Some of this is always going to be educated guesswork, but I would rather err on the side of insurance against chronic diseases, as long as the supplement does not have any negative side effects. I have seen too many of my friends (most not much older than me) get sick and die from cancer and other chronic diseases in recent years, so I try to be proactive and do whatever I can (regarding diet, supplements, exercise/lifestyle lifestyle) to remain healthy into old age. No guarantees, I know.

This thread caught my eye when it started, because I have some arthritis in my back. Recently, I read it is also good for triglycerides, so I have been taking a gram/day with food, a third party-reviewed brand with piperine to aid absorption. We’ll see.

Do you (or others taking turmeric) also take probiotics or fish oil, that also may help with some of those same conditions?

Good question, pure turmeric with black pepper on a salad for inflammation, For Omega's flax seed, chia seeds a couple of oz's sardines a week, I guess i am a pescatarian now. Make our own sauerkraut and kimchi for probiotics and help with inflammation. I like to eat my medicine.

(

This may be helpful - or perhaps add to the confusion :). I saw a sports orthopedist at Emory a couple weeks ago, I have mild osteoarthritis in my hips. I asked about supplements (in addition to exercises) to help prevent further deterioration, so he gave me a handout with this info. I have decided to take only Schiff MegaRed since it has Omega 3 and Hyaluronic acid and reviews for the product are very good:

Natural anti-inflammatories:
Omega-3s fatty acids - 3,000mgs/day
AND
Pick one of the 4 below:
Curcurmin - 900 mgs/day
White Willow Bark - 1 cap evry 3-4 hrs as needed
Bromelin - 500 mgs 2x/day
Pine Bark Extract - 200 mgs/day

Bone/muscle health; fatigue; cardiac/immune
Vitamin D: 2,000s IUs/day w/food, may take larger dosage if documented deficiency

Cartilage health
1. Glucosamine 1500mg/day with Chondroitin 600-900 mg/day
2. Hyaluronic acid - as directed

I had full labs done and evaluated by my ND. She then developed a regimen for me that also includes dietary Recs and exercise.

I take Theracurmin, but over a period of a few months I stopped taking it (not really sure why!). And then I saw my blood pressure was 10 points higher than usual, and my lipids panel was particularly crappy, and I was struggling a lot with the blues and with painful joints.

Without connecting any dots, I started taking it again about 10 days ago, and BP dropped, pain fell back, and the blues went away. And the lightbulb went on! Now taking 90g 2x a day, sometimes more if the joints need a bit more help.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom