Join Early Retirement Today

Who takes turmeric supplements and why?
Old 03-24-2022, 01:05 PM   #1
Recycles dryer sheets

Who takes turmeric supplements and why?

I have arthritis of the neck and someone suggested tumeric supplements to hold down inflamation. Does anyone take tumeric? If so why and what brand do you use? Any advice or suggestions welcome.
FloridaJim57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-24-2022, 01:21 PM   #2
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...

DW's rheumatologist recommended she take this turmeric available from Amazon: Garden of Life Mykind Organics Turmeric
Old 03-24-2022, 02:54 PM   #3
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

I take it for similar reasons.

Costco. Not sure the brand.
Montecfo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2022, 03:07 PM   #4
Give me a forum ...

It’s supposed to be a powerful anti inflammatory. I started taking it when I was suffering from autoimmune hair loss as recommended by my dermatologist.
Old 03-24-2022, 03:09 PM   #5
Give me a forum ...

We both take this 3x daily for inflammation. It greatly improved my two numb fingers and DW's knees that needed replacing over 20 years ago. 20220324_150804.jpg
MRG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2022, 04:36 PM   #6
Recycles dryer sheets

I mix a blend of organic turmeric, cinnamon, ginger and ground black pepper. Mix up a pint jar of this. I use 2 teaspoons in a cup of hot water, splash of nut milk and spoon of honey. Cup a day. Works for me and much tastier than a supplement.
Sanstar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2022, 09:00 AM   #7
Give me a forum ...

DH has psoriatic arthritis and his doctor recommended turmeric. He has taken it for several years but recently he has started bruising easily and the doctor took him off tumeric, evidently it will cause bruising.
harllee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2022, 09:38 AM   #8
Give me a forum ...

According to Consumer Reports, some Turmeric has potentially dangerous amounts of lead in it.

Quote:
If you’re shopping for a supplement, you should know that the Food and Drug Administration does not verify that supplements contain what their labels say they do.
Previous testing by Consumer Reports found that supplements—including turmeric and curcumin products—are sometimes contaminated with lead or bacteria.
That’s why careful shopping is key. Look for products that have been tested by a third party: Confirm a seal on the label from ConsumerLab.com, NSF International, UL, or U.S. Pharmacopeia (USP). CVS says all supplements it sells are tested by a third party.
Here's the entire article:

https://www.consumerreports.org/turm...n-a1205144105/

Sorry to rain on the parade. People need to be fully informed and make their own decisions.

The worst decisions are usually made in times of anger and impatience.
Chuckanut is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2022, 09:40 AM   #9
Recycles dryer sheets

I take theracurmin HP for ALS inflammation. It is recommended by my neurologist because of increased bioavailability. It is the same form used in a trial for memory loss
Sarah S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2022, 10:17 AM   #10
Dryer sheet wannabe

I don't take supplements but do add grated turmeric to a lot of my food. It's a mild flavor and I enjoy the taste, in addition to possible health benefits. Add it to oatmeal with dried berries and sliced almonds, zested into lattes with ginger and black pepper, meat marinades, etc. Whole Foods and Jewel supermarkets carry the fresh roots. I wash and dry them and store a bag in the freezer; they're easy to grate that way and the skin doesn't make it through the microplane. Ginger works great that way too.

Only thing is being careful about turmeric stains!
Idealer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2022, 12:09 PM   #11
Recycles dryer sheets

My husband buys turmeric curcumin on Costco's website. He waits until it goes on sale and buys several bottles at a time. His orthopedist recommended it for hand and knee arthritis and he is very pleased with the results. I know it can take some time to work. The one he uses is Nature's Lab Turmeric Curcumin C3 1000mg., 180 Vegetarian Capsules.

I just learned about Schiff MegaRed Superior Joint Care. The reviews sound too good to be true (so they probably are ) but I plan to buy a couple bottles when they go on sale at Costco in a few days. Could use a little help with my own minor aches and pains. It doesn't take long to see results, apparently.
gattara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2022, 09:15 AM   #12
Confused about dryer sheets

Takes it with family to improve heart health and prevent against Alzheimer's and cancer
JolantaAgata is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2022, 07:24 PM   #13
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sarah S View Post
I take theracurmin HP for ALS inflammation. It is recommended by my neurologist because of increased bioavailability. It is the same form used in a trial for memory loss

Yes, I take a daily theracurmin also. From what I have read, the cheaper turmeric and curcumin supplements have very low absorbability, so you are unable to absorb much of it. The theracurmin I take is made by Natural Factors, and is supposed to have much higher bioavailability than the cheaper brands. Many studies verify the anti-inflammatory effects of curcumin, and it is also supposed to have anti-cancer effects as well.
RAE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2022, 10:02 PM   #14
Full time employment: Posting here.

I take 1000mg per day....there is anecdotal evidence that helps against multiple myeloma (in incurable blood cancer) which I have.
DallasGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2022, 07:49 AM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by RAE View Post
Yes, I take a daily theracurmin also. From what I have read, the cheaper turmeric and curcumin supplements have very low absorbability, so you are unable to absorb much of it. The theracurmin I take is made by Natural Factors, and is supposed to have much higher bioavailability than the cheaper brands. Many studies verify the anti-inflammatory effects of curcumin, and it is also supposed to have anti-cancer effects as well.

I take it because my doctor suggested it. Recently he suggested I look for a type that is more easily absorbed. I had already ordered and received a more easily absorbed type. When I was having some knee problems, I was asked by another doctor (that had my records) are you still taking Tumeric?
I said yes, and got a response, "good, continue with it."
Time2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2022, 09:29 AM   #16
Recycles dryer sheets

I have read that taking turmeric with a couple tablespoons of honey has strong anti-inflammatory and anti-oxidant properties. Fresh turmeric powder mixed with honey and lemon on toast or drank as a morning "shot." I have not tried the paste recipe, but I take a 500 mg pill of turmeric/curcumin/ginger each day for inflammation since knee replacement. The surgeon was neutral on it, didn't recommend but didn't discourage taking it. My sister is into holistic health and recommended it. I believe it helps.
nap470 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2022, 09:38 AM   #17

I took it for a while and noticed no improvement in my hand pain, but it did upset my stomach. I decided I didn't want to pay good $$ for that side effect.

Old men and women sit in the shade of trees they planted long ago
SumDay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2022, 10:02 AM   #18

I use 1 tbsp organic turmeric on my salad almost every day. I was dx with indolent prostate cancer 9 years ago. Losing weight, exercising more, may have kept the nasty stuff at bay. I also put allspice, cinnamon, and ground cloves in my flax seed, chia, gruel in the morning.
Old 03-28-2022, 11:08 AM   #19
Recycles dryer sheets

Not a supplement per se, just a tsp a day of bulk turmeric in orange juice with black pepper and amla powder. Bangladesh has had the most problems with lead adulteration. Buy from a reputable source, it's still cheap. Turmeric might be cancer-preventive (e.g. https://pubmed.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/26973412/), without negative side effects (if unadulterated).
HenryD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2022, 01:58 PM   #20

The brand I am taking is from Procap Laboratories. I take it for anti-inflammatory benefits.