Why are Some (Most?) Dentists Con Artists?

Most? Pretty broad generalization

I have had 3 dentists in my lifetime (56 years).
Can't really comment on my pediatric one.
As a young adult I had one; personality was melba toast but good work.
Have had the same guy for quite a few years now.
No complaints.
Very few dental issues for me.
:dance:

Some are cons

I had the exact same experience. Had a new dentist tell me I needed oral surgery to reduce gum pocket depths. I decided to get a second opinion (without saying anything to the new dentist). He did a cleaning and exam...said everything was fine, and he has been my dentist for the last 18 yrs. Never had any gum disease after all.

I assume you are taking Vitamin C for your gums?

My last good dentist died two years ago. Tried the guy who got his records but was told he wouldn't do anything without full x-ray, cleaning (I have six natural teeth to clean), and a full dental exam. I told him I wasn't there to support his employee welfare program and left.

When my Dentist comes up with an overly expensive treatment, I sometimes ask if he's behind on a car payment. Once, he said, "No, but I've got a kid on the way." Yikes! I've actually asked him for a referral for a second opinion when I wasn't comfortable with his proposal. The couple times an alternative was suggested, he agreed when told. Just keep'em in check!

So we went to the dentist office today for our six month cleaning. After the cleaning a dentist who now works for the practice did a check up of our teeth. We have never met this dentist before and our regular dentist was not in the office today due to an emergency. The dentist did not find any cavities but state that she was concerned about the age of my amalgam fillings. She recommended removing them with composite fillings. She proposed replacing 8 fillings at a cost of $385 each. I politely told her to "pound sand".

I’ve also experienced shady treatment plans, usually around caps. Luckily years ago, I found honest dentist brothers who opened their own practice.

Also get a electric toothbrush like Sonicare. It’s incredible!

Same on the wisdom teeth

When I was 25 yo a dentist told me I should have all four wisdom teeth pulled. Why I asked? "Because they might cause you problems down the road". I stopped going to him immediately. I am now 68 and still have my wisdom teeth with absolutely no problems.

Another former dentist of mine convinced me to use his "professional" teeth whitening process, the one with the retainer-like holders and the liquid gel. Well his gel was actually solidifying and was no longer a liquid. When the process was done my teeth were absolutely no different, but his wallet was slightly larger. I went out and got a package of Crest Whitestrips a year or two later and they worked great.

So 1 out of 3-4 dentists told you what you want to hear. Stick with him, and pray he knows what he is talking about!

Pooch just got back from the vet - 4 teeth pulled and another $1000. Feel sorry for the dog. Did save $120 by getting the meds at Costco instead of the vet. It is hard to know if the teeth really needed to be pulled - have to take their word for it.

I have had 3 dentists in my lifetime (56 years).
Can't really comment on my pediatric one.

I can comment on mine. He was a former army dentist.

1) Did not use novacaine for routine cavities.
2) Did not screw my parents over with fake cavities. I know, because he stuck the probe into my tooth, let go of it, stood back and chided me for having such a cavity. The probe is just hanging there, jammed into the cavity in my tooth.

However, his work was apparently good. I have a 45 year old filling that's still going strong.

But it was torture. Going to the dentist was like getting a field dressing on Omaha beach. No time for anesthetics. Just get it done.

Last edited:
I stopped using novocaine for fillings a dozen or more years ago, after having a jaw that was numb for way to long. I needed a filling and I told my dentist no novocaine. He was drilling away and he flinched, he said, sorry I forgot you were not anesthetized, I had not had any pain. My daughter now a dentist said it is actually the heat from drilling that causes the pain, so you can drill, stop let it cool, drill, stop let it cool to prevent much of the pain. But when anesthetized they can just drill away.
On a different visit to get a crown, I joked with the dentist and told him could go ahead and use novocaine!
I miss my old dentist he got ill and sold his practice, the new dentist immediately bought new digital equipment and raised his prices 30%. I saw my old dentist a year or two later and we talked about it, he said, ya, I guess I didn't keep up with prices.

I can comment on mine. He was a former army dentist.

1) Did not use novOcaine for routine cavities.
<snip>
But it was torture. Going to the dentist was like getting a field dressing on Omaha beach. No time for anesthetics. Just get it done.

Dealbreaker. Absolute dealbreaker. My parents were diligent about taking us to the dentist (5 kids, no dental insurance back then). I had several dentists over my childhood since we moved a few times and I always had cavities. Not sure why- my siblings didn't. My sister had her first as an adult. None of the dentists used anaesthetic. It was AWFUL and I was a pretty stoic kid.

God bless the first dentist I had when I started a job after college, in a different city. I needed a filling and I could not believe the difference when he numbed it first.

I've never found a dentist yet who could explain why they didn't use anaesthetic. Every one I've had as an adult knows that I want anaesthetic for just about everything but cleaning and I still end up with white knuckles.

Last edited:
My dentist accepts that I don't want a Cadillac/Mercedes solution. So we have an understanding that I will come in once a year for a checkup. No Xrays please.

I use a Waterpik and OralB and get my gums done twice a year. I realize this later part is just insurance.

My dental experience started early badly. Things were fine until our trusted dentist died suddenly at 80.

You should get your teeth, checked and overhauled if needed in PV. I hear their care is excellent and very affordable.

Our Dentist does not own a boat and does not want to build a fancy new facility. So I think we are good. :)

I've never found a dentist yet who could explain why they didn't use anaesthetic. Every one I've had as an adult knows that I want anaesthetic for just abut everything but cleaning and I still end up with white knuckles.
His explanation for everything was The Army, late 40s Army at that.

After this incident, my parents went shopping. Ended up at another dentist who was so much better. Heck, he went farther than Novocaine, he gave me the gas too. This was much appreciated as a late teen, and prepared me for a whip-it party in college. (Did I just admit that?)

Technology matters too in dental care. When we lived in the big city our dentist had to send out to a lab for a crown to be made. So that meant two weeks with a temporary and I paid about $1200 for the privilege.
Now we live in a much smaller town. Our dentist has a 3D printer that produces porcelain crowns in 24 shades of white - all while you sit in the chair. Price, about $800.

Business' post their prices daily. Everywhere we shop for daily goods, we see the prices and can go to a different store that has better prices pretty quickly.

Trying to find out what dentists charge for what services is like pulling teeth (pardon the pun). Just as hospitals should open list their charges for services and procedures. We should be able to value shop dentistry as well. Why don't we demand this as consumers? Healthcare is a business like anything else.

We decided to get the discount dental plan instead of dental insurance that takes a premium. With insurance you have to figure out the % they'll pay for whatever procedure or service and the chance you'll ever need those procedures. With this discount plan, I will shop. I'll have to take into consideration quality dentistry. Cleaning is one thing, a crown or major dental work is another. But where does it say you have to be loyal to a dentist or doctor? It's kind of a psychological thing.

X-rays and past dental work can be easily exchanged. The guilt part of moving from dentist to dentist is something I want to overcome. I'm tired of our current system. The patients seem to get screwed and accept that.

So 1 out of 3-4 dentists told you what you want to hear. Stick with him, and pray he knows what he is talking about!
More accurate to say one out of three dentists confirmed my personal observations made over the past twelve years, and yes, I will be sticking with him and his hygienist.

I had a similar although cheaper experience. I am kinda lazy and so sometimes I'd go to a dentist every 6 months, and sometimes I would lapse for 2-4 years. Regardless of the duration, especially when changing the dentist, my teeth would accumulate 3 fillings worth of damage. 6 months? "These 3 need some care". 4 years? "These 3 need to be taken care of". Like clockwork. And yeah "let's take out wisdom teeth" "let me replace the crown that hasn't bothered you in its 15 years when the one I just installed fell out and that's why you are here fixing it", etc.

Recently I went to a new dentist after a year or two of no dentistry, and they did a check and told me I only have one small optional filling to do. That's a keeper :)

We had to find a new dentist several years ago because our long time dentist retired. First visit - I had 8 cavities! After 45 years of no cavities, regular 6 month cleanings, etc.

I asked her how that was possible and she explained that as we age, our bodies and mouths can change and be more susceptible to cavities.

I immediately changed dentists and they were able to get the full set of X-rays just done by my now ex- dentist. I said nothing to them about the alleged 8 cavities. They told me my teeth were in excellent shape, no cavities. That was 10 years ago.

During my last visit, the hygienist showed the latest Xrays to the dentist, who was busy with another patient. She came back and said (with a smile): The dentist said to get me out of here, that’ll he never make any money on me 😀

Re: flossing. Before brushing or after? I’d ask my dentist but after reading this thread, not sure I can believe her🤷*♀️

Dentists are mixed on this subject. As long as you floss daily, it's better than not flossing - whether before or after. YMMV

Back
Top Bottom