Join Early Retirement Today

Old 02-21-2020, 12:49 PM   #21
Dryer sheet aficionado

Quote:
Originally Posted by MRG View Post
Subsidies, deductibles, and cost are attributes of the plan, not a new entity.

I would agree on the subsidies, as the overall premium the insurance company receives seems to be the same. To me though, something like deductible amounts, out of pocket, etc fundamentally change the plan.

Of course, really doesn't matter as long as one understands what is going on. Having a different plan ID probably wouldn't have made it any more obvious. I thank everyone on this thread of educating me on this stuff.
Aggie1999 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-21-2020, 01:09 PM   #22
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aggie1999 View Post
I would agree on the subsidies, as the overall premium the insurance company receives seems to be the same. To me though, something like deductible amounts, out of pocket, etc fundamentally change the plan.

Of course, really doesn't matter as long as one understands what is going on. Having a different plan ID probably wouldn't have made it any more obvious. I thank everyone on this thread of educating me on this stuff.
I'm sorry, I should have explained. Attributes vs. entities is a data modeling discussion. In a physical data model, a column in a table vs. a new table.
MRG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2020, 01:28 PM   #23
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by MRG View Post
Subsidies, deductibles, and cost are attributes of the plan, not a new entity.
Exactly. The plan is 1) what medical services are covered by the insurer, and 2) what provider network is included. The ACA mandates highly standardize coverage, so most ACA compliant plans are almost identical in coverage. Plans vary widely in network and it is critical to understand exactly how broad the network is before enrolling.

Copays, deductibles and total out of pocket are just different ways to pay for the same plan. What matters is the total cost of health care: premiums + copays + deducibles. One really needs spreadsheet to calculate that. One of our members put together an easy to use excel sheet to help with that. Animorph’s spreadsheet can be found here https://www.early-retirement.org/for...ml#post1374536
MichaelB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2020, 02:15 PM   #24
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by FrankiesGirl View Post
You could only get away with grossly underestimating your MAGI 1-2 years I imagine before they'd likely take action, and I would be quite concerned at them going after the ones that blatantly lied to take advantage.

They do ask you to justify when there is a significant drop in income.

When I quit my job and reported our income to be 75% lower, they contacted me and asked for a statement of why. I explained that I was no longer employed and income would be from investments/retirement accounts and swore the reported income was the closest estimate I could come up with to the best of my ability.

I'm pretty sure if you lied on that statement, it would be noted the following year when you trued up the subsidies, and they wouldn't fall for it twice.
Which would require proving an intent to defraud...a high bar to overcome.

There are all sorts of reasons household income can be higher than initial estimates...e.g. a family member unexpectedly re-employed during the year, investments had to be sold to meet unexpected needs, etc.

Note that if household income turns out to be lower than expected (I.e. you should have been in Medicaid rather than the ACA) repayment is limited...i.e. $600 for MFJ.
ncbill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2020, 07:40 AM   #25
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by FrankiesGirl View Post
You could only get away with grossly underestimating your MAGI 1-2 years I imagine before they'd likely take action, and I would be quite concerned at them going after the ones that blatantly lied to take advantage.
You'd think so, but recently one of our members admittted underestimating income by at least 100% to get max CSR plans with no adverse actions over the last few years.

Given that, there really is no reason not to estimate below 150% FPL and just reconcile PTC at tax time. They don't care after your initial estimate is approved.
GTFan is offline   Reply With Quote