Join Early Retirement Today

Old 08-04-2022, 07:24 PM   #21
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by gattara View Post
Echoing above references to Covid - my sister had Covid in May and her hair is now falling out at an alarming rate.
Well, if I had covid, it was asymptomatic. And I have not been testing for it. Does the hair grow back?
John Galt III is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-04-2022, 07:33 PM   #22
Recycles dryer sheets

Hair loss or thinning can be thyroid issue. Also hair loss or thinning is normal after anesthesia and can take a year to get back to normal.

If this is something that came about in a short time, I would see a doctor for a check up just to make sure nothing is going on medically.
lauradrops is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2022, 07:35 PM   #23

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pellice View Post
As a woman, I am going to echo Chuckanut's statements, but I must add that qualities of mind and emotion will matter as much or more! I *think* most women are interested in more than appearance and money, and kindness and good, informed conversation (not necessarily education) go farthest! *Hair matters not.

And, John Galt, I'm assuming that you are NOT aiming for Supermodel, Age 23.
Thanks for the encouraging words, Pellice. If a 23 year old supermodel became available to me, I would be skeptical of the whole thing, lol. Today I was out playing Pickleball, and when I checked my hair in the bathroom mirror beforehand, I saw how awfully thin it was on top, since I had the light coming down from above. I girded my loins and went out anyway, and I didn't notice lessening of approval from the females there. The females just want a confident guy, apparently. Actually, I like a confident woman, too.
Old 08-04-2022, 07:52 PM   #24

Quote:
Originally Posted by gattara View Post
Echoing above references to Covid - my sister had Covid in May and her hair is now falling out at an alarming rate.
Hmmm. Yes, June, July, August. 3 months later.
Old 08-04-2022, 08:21 PM   #25
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Galt III View Post
Well, if I had covid, it was asymptomatic. And I have not been testing for it. Does the hair grow back?
Yes, her hair will grow back.
gattara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2022, 06:22 PM   #26
Recycles dryer sheets

I would look into Taurine supplement for a couple months and Danny Roddy has some good videos about hair loss on you tube-all based on pubmed articles, not just someones thoughts
Jenna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2022, 07:24 PM   #27

Be grateful you have hair to lose at 68. DS has inherited my dad’s genes. Both started balding in their 20s.

However, look around your whole body-eyelashes, eyebrows, and elsewhere. If the hair loss is universal, that suggests a systemic problem.
EastWest Gal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2022, 07:53 AM   #28

Quote:
Originally Posted by EastWest Gal View Post
Be grateful you have hair to lose at 68. DS has inherited my dad’s genes. Both started balding in their 20s.

However, look around your whole body-eyelashes, eyebrows, and elsewhere. If the hair loss is universal, that suggests a systemic problem.
EWG, the eyebrows and eyelashes got thin about 10 years ago, and it didn't bother me much, anyway. And my son is going quite bald, thanks to his mother's side of the family. He is coping with it well, though. Keeps it short on the sides, and it looks OK, thank goodness.
Old 08-06-2022, 10:16 AM   #29

Quote:
For the last month or so, I am getting a lot more hairs in the brush after brushing. The hair on top is noticeably thinner. Less of it, and the hairs that are there are very thin, except a few clumps of thick strands here and there. I am 68, male. I guess this could just be what my DNA has decided to do with my hair. I have been using minoxidil for decades, and still do. Haven't changed my diet any lately, except for adding Vitamin D, but only take it once a week (5000 mg pill). Some stress, about starting to date again, lol. Great timing for hair loss to happen, right? Already googled it, can only find generic info. Thanks.

You’re just getting older. You never noticed that older people have far less hair and their quaff is thinner? The older you get the more hair loss occurs. It’s due to both hormonal reduction and hereditary factors. It will only get worse. Just get used to it or make adjustments.
Old 08-06-2022, 12:39 PM   #30
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

My DH does not have much hair left, he just wears a snazzy hat.
harllee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2022, 02:07 PM   #31
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by harllee View Post
My DH does not have much hair left, he just wears a snazzy hat.
Hat's are very good at climate control. And the right hat adds some panache to any persons' look.

The worst decisions are usually made in times of anger and impatience.
Chuckanut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2022, 10:27 PM   #32

Today I played an outdoor band concert. We had tents, but the entire band did not fit under it. I applied clear spray on sunscreen before I left home, but brought the can along. Many of the guys are quite bald, and some have a fully shaved head. They all wanted the sunscreen, but they all wanted me to spray it on them. It was cute.
EastWest Gal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2022, 10:56 PM   #33
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by FloridaJim57 View Post
get a blood test for anemia. Mine thinned out about two years ago and a blood test revealed I was very low in iron. I take iron supplements and the hair grew back. Before taking iron though be sure you need it.

Iron and some other nutrients, as well as fungal infections, can cause hair loss, too - The Role of Vitamins and Minerals in Hair Loss: A Review (nih.gov).
Even clouds seem bright and breezy, 'Cause the livin' is free and easy, See the rat race in a new way, Like you're wakin' up to a new day (Dr. Tarr and Professor Fether lyrics, Alan Parsons Project, based on an EA Poe story)
daylatedollarshort is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2022, 08:19 AM   #34

Quote:
Originally Posted by EastWest Gal View Post
Today I played an outdoor band concert. We had tents, but the entire band did not fit under it. I applied clear spray on sunscreen before I left home, but brought the can along. Many of the guys are quite bald, and some have a fully shaved head. They all wanted the sunscreen, but they all wanted me to spray it on them. It was cute.
EWG, I'll have to remember that "can you please apply the cream to my shaved bald head?" as a future pickup line, lol. I was out at a huge music festival yesterday, wearing a baseball cap, to keep from burning my scalp. I was noticing all the variations of male hair styles (with the occasional time off to do some girlwatching, of course) and I noticed a lot of the quarter inch buzz cut with the bald center, which actually looked OK on a lot of guys. But not ALL. Once again, the DNA lottery. How will you look after you need to cut your hair to accommodate thinning/balding? Like someone else said here, we have to adjust, I guess.
Old 08-07-2022, 08:57 AM   #35

Quote:
For the last month or so, I am getting a lot more hairs in the brush after brushing. The hair on top is noticeably thinner. Less of it, and the hairs that are there are very thin, except a few clumps of thick strands here and there. I am 68, male. I guess this could just be what my DNA has decided to do with my hair. I have been using minoxidil for decades, and still do. Haven't changed my diet any lately, except for adding Vitamin D, but only take it once a week (5000 mg pill). Some stress, about starting to date again, lol. Great timing for hair loss to happen, right? Already googled it, can only find generic info. Thanks.
Age? Best to take 20g of Collagen everyday. DW and my hair stop falling as soon as we started taking collagen powder - Orgain.
Old 08-07-2022, 09:11 PM   #36

Quote:
Originally Posted by daylatedollarshort View Post
Iron and some other nutrients, as well as fungal infections, can cause hair loss, too - The Role of Vitamins and Minerals in Hair Loss: A Review (nih.gov).
This article brought to mind something I had heard before - that biotin supplements can lead to false results on blood tests - so be sure to tell the doctor if you take it.
badatmath is offline   Reply With Quote
Liberate yourself, brother...
Old 08-09-2022, 04:03 PM   #37
Recycles dryer sheets

Liberate yourself, brother...

Shave your head... you'll never look back. I was losing my hair in my early 40s, and vowed I wouldn't lament over it, nor would EVER suffer the dreaded comb-over phase... So I shaved my head and went bald... cold turkey!

I've been clean-shaven for over 20 years and sporting hats like nobody's business. Honestly people tell me I look great. 😎👍
Montclairbobbyb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2022, 04:31 PM   #38

Quote:
Originally Posted by Montclairbobbyb View Post
Shave your head... you'll never look back. I was losing my hair in my early 40s, and vowed I wouldn't lament over it, nor would EVER suffer the dreaded comb-over phase... So I shaved my head and went bald... cold turkey!

I've been clean-shaven for over 20 years and sporting hats like nobody's business. Honestly people tell me I look great. 😎👍
I have two friends with alopecia. Not a single hair anywhere on their bodies, and in both cases it started in their 20s. Great people, and after the first meeting I don't think any of their friends even notice it anymore.
Old 08-09-2022, 05:20 PM   #39
Recycles dryer sheets

I'm just now seeing this thread thanks to the newsletter, but any 'shock to your system' can cause sudden hair loss, usually about three months later.

It can be all sorts of things like a bout with food poisoning, COVID, surgery, being in a car accident, shingles, a bad fall, even dealing with a sudden death of a loved one. If someone mentions sudden hair loss, I usually ask them to think back about three months and see if anything happened. If not, then I'd start looking at blood work and hormone levels.

The good news is that if the hair loss is caused by something that creates a shock to the body, it does grow back. However, the loss can continue for up so six months after it's first noticed, so it could be a while before any relief is seen.
always_learning is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2022, 06:26 PM   #40
Recycles dryer sheets

Stress- reduce it! Right before I retired, I was pulling my hair out over the w*#k stress. That was FHL, i.e. Forced Hair Loss. (new acronym for us). 😂Yours is not 'forced', but women, dating, significant others can also do that to us, and that is UHL, unforced hair loss. Reduce your stress, get peace in your mind, say goodbye to UHL.
maestro is offline   Reply With Quote