Why is my Hair Falling out all of a Sudden?

I would look into Taurine supplement for a couple months and Danny Roddy has some good videos about hair loss on you tube-all based on pubmed articles, not just someones thoughts

Be grateful you have hair to lose at 68. DS has inherited my dad’s genes. Both started balding in their 20s.

However, look around your whole body-eyelashes, eyebrows, and elsewhere. If the hair loss is universal, that suggests a systemic problem.

Be grateful you have hair to lose at 68. DS has inherited my dad’s genes. Both started balding in their 20s.

However, look around your whole body-eyelashes, eyebrows, and elsewhere. If the hair loss is universal, that suggests a systemic problem.

EWG, the eyebrows and eyelashes got thin about 10 years ago, and it didn't bother me much, anyway. And my son is going quite bald, thanks to his mother's side of the family. He is coping with it well, though. Keeps it short on the sides, and it looks OK, thank goodness.

For the last month or so, I am getting a lot more hairs in the brush after brushing. The hair on top is noticeably thinner. Less of it, and the hairs that are there are very thin, except a few clumps of thick strands here and there. I am 68, male. I guess this could just be what my DNA has decided to do with my hair. I have been using minoxidil for decades, and still do. Haven't changed my diet any lately, except for adding Vitamin D, but only take it once a week (5000 mg pill). Some stress, about starting to date again, lol. Great timing for hair loss to happen, right? Already googled it, can only find generic info. Thanks.

You’re just getting older. You never noticed that older people have far less hair and their quaff is thinner? The older you get the more hair loss occurs. It’s due to both hormonal reduction and hereditary factors. It will only get worse. Just get used to it or make adjustments.

Today I played an outdoor band concert. We had tents, but the entire band did not fit under it. I applied clear spray on sunscreen before I left home, but brought the can along. Many of the guys are quite bald, and some have a fully shaved head. They all wanted the sunscreen, but they all wanted me to spray it on them. It was cute.

Today I played an outdoor band concert. We had tents, but the entire band did not fit under it. I applied clear spray on sunscreen before I left home, but brought the can along. Many of the guys are quite bald, and some have a fully shaved head. They all wanted the sunscreen, but they all wanted me to spray it on them. It was cute.

EWG, I'll have to remember that "can you please apply the cream to my shaved bald head?" as a future pickup line, lol. I was out at a huge music festival yesterday, wearing a baseball cap, to keep from burning my scalp. I was noticing all the variations of male hair styles (with the occasional time off to do some girlwatching, of course) and I noticed a lot of the quarter inch buzz cut with the bald center, which actually looked OK on a lot of guys. But not ALL. Once again, the DNA lottery. How will you look after you need to cut your hair to accommodate thinning/balding? Like someone else said here, we have to adjust, I guess.

For the last month or so, I am getting a lot more hairs in the brush after brushing. The hair on top is noticeably thinner. Less of it, and the hairs that are there are very thin, except a few clumps of thick strands here and there. I am 68, male. I guess this could just be what my DNA has decided to do with my hair. I have been using minoxidil for decades, and still do. Haven't changed my diet any lately, except for adding Vitamin D, but only take it once a week (5000 mg pill). Some stress, about starting to date again, lol. Great timing for hair loss to happen, right? Already googled it, can only find generic info. Thanks.

Age? Best to take 20g of Collagen everyday. DW and my hair stop falling as soon as we started taking collagen powder - Orgain.

Liberate yourself, brother...

Shave your head... you'll never look back. I was losing my hair in my early 40s, and vowed I wouldn't lament over it, nor would EVER suffer the dreaded comb-over phase... So I shaved my head and went bald... cold turkey!

I've been clean-shaven for over 20 years and sporting hats like nobody's business. Honestly people tell me I look great. 😎👍

Shave your head... you'll never look back. I was losing my hair in my early 40s, and vowed I wouldn't lament over it, nor would EVER suffer the dreaded comb-over phase... So I shaved my head and went bald... cold turkey!

I've been clean-shaven for over 20 years and sporting hats like nobody's business. Honestly people tell me I look great. 😎👍

I have two friends with alopecia. Not a single hair anywhere on their bodies, and in both cases it started in their 20s. Great people, and after the first meeting I don't think any of their friends even notice it anymore.

I'm just now seeing this thread thanks to the newsletter, but any 'shock to your system' can cause sudden hair loss, usually about three months later.

It can be all sorts of things like a bout with food poisoning, COVID, surgery, being in a car accident, shingles, a bad fall, even dealing with a sudden death of a loved one. If someone mentions sudden hair loss, I usually ask them to think back about three months and see if anything happened. If not, then I'd start looking at blood work and hormone levels.

The good news is that if the hair loss is caused by something that creates a shock to the body, it does grow back. However, the loss can continue for up so six months after it's first noticed, so it could be a while before any relief is seen.

Stress- reduce it! Right before I retired, I was pulling my hair out over the w*#k stress. That was FHL, i.e. Forced Hair Loss. (new acronym for us). 😂Yours is not 'forced', but women, dating, significant others can also do that to us, and that is UHL, unforced hair loss. Reduce your stress, get peace in your mind, say goodbye to UHL.

I re-entered the dating pool in middle age. I can assure you that if you are financially secure, keep yourself well groomed, have no drug or alcohol addiction, and bathe regularly, you will be in demand.
I wish.

DW left me 12 years ago when I was 53. After about 2 years of depression I shook myself off and tried to re-join the pool. I've done online dating, matchmakers, local social groups, everything I could think of. (Not meeting women at church or job since I don't do those.)

Nothin'. In 10 years I've had 2 near-misses.

I'm no movie star but I'm tall, fit, intelligent, financially healthy. I have a great sense of humor. I'm a good cook and I work miracles with chocolate. Matchmakers almost always tell me I'm a real catch, an A#1 candidate that any woman would be delighted with. They keep telling me that but I'm still single. (I should clarify these are matchmakers hired by the women. I worked with a local matchmaker until they suddenly left town. I haven't made the investment with the big-scale matchmakers because I'm pretty underwhelmed with the results.)

Partly it's my fault. I'm too choosy for my own good. I've had a few women chase me, but they had so many issues I ran in the opposite direction. I'd rather have no relationship than a toxic relationship.

I'm getting old enough that I've pretty much resigned myself to being alone for the rest of my life. :(

Last edited:
I wish.

DW left me 12 years ago when I was 53. After about 2 years of depression I shook myself off and tried to re-join the pool. I've done online dating, matchmakers, local social groups, everything I could think of. (Not meeting women at church or job since I don't do those.)

Nothin'. In 10 years I've had 2 near-misses.

I'm no movie star but I'm tall, fit, intelligent, financially healthy. I have a great sense of humor. I'm a good cook and I work miracles with chocolate. Matchmakers almost always tell me I'm a real catch, an A#1 candidate that any woman would be delighted with. They keep telling me that but I'm still single. (I should clarify these are matchmakers hired by the women. I worked with a local matchmaker until they suddenly left town. I haven't made the investment with the big-scale matchmakers because I'm pretty underwhelmed with the results.)

Partly it's my fault. I'm too choosy for my own good. I've had a few women chase me, but they had so many issues I ran in the opposite direction. I'd rather have no relationship than a toxic relationship.

I'm getting old enough that I've pretty much resigned myself to being alone for the rest of my life. :(

I hear you, man. It's tough. But I believe there's someone for everyone. If you wait long enough, maybe. Frankly, I'm wondering if I will ever find my unicorn. Still searching. Been counting my blessings lately, as in not being in an awful marriage or nightmare relationship.

Back
Top Bottom