"World-class colonoscopy"

I have had 3 colonoscopies and prefer them unsedated, but the Tripler GI doc gently insisted that I let anesthesia give me propofol.

I had a horrible reaction to Versed myself (I'll never do it again) and am reluctant to be put completely under, so I'm curious to hear about your unsedated experiences. How did those go?

happy dance

Palomalou is doing the happy dance, because she had her annual "exam" and all was clear. 16 years cancer-free!
But reading the above posts, I wonder if I had a reaction to the Versed yesterday/today, although I never had one before. Went back to hotel after, napped 4 hours, got up for 3, went to bed at 11, got up at 8 feeling WRETCHED! I had the shakes (which I attributed to not having eaten, since I was so groggy), dry heaves, and a continuation of the diarrhea. Now I feel a bit better but so sleepy--kind of feels like a sleep emergency.

I have to admit that my experience with Propofol for my colonoscopy was ideal.
Same here. It was the first time I didn't wake up from anesthesia upchucking my brains out.

Oboy, it's about that time again. And ironically, March is Colorectal Cancer Awareness Month. What better way to mark the occasion?

Let me share some details so that those of you with recent experience can let me know if I'm missing anything.

I posted on this thread (nearly five years ago) about my last colonoscopy:
http://www.early-retirement.org/forums/f38/world-class-colonoscopy-52370-2.html#post1059446

Exam #2 raises the stakes a little. Last August I had an emergency appendectomy (Lifestyles In Financial Independence: Your Mortality - Military Guide) and the biopsy found a carcinoid tumor on my appendix. I thought cancer was a binary occurrence (you either have it or you don't) but apparently there's a gray area of "not really cancerous... not just yet". Coupled with my Dad's history of intestinal polyps (and prostate cancer), and the polyp found on my last colonoscopy, I'm sure that this upcoming inspection is going to find a few interesting material deficiencies.

To my surprise, this time I might actually get a world-class colonoscopy. Instead of being referred to the military's Tripler Army Medical Center, I'm going to a tiny little boutique clinic (Pacific Endoscopy, Endoscopy Center Pearl City, HI - Pacific Endoscopy Center) much closer to home. I'm supposed to sign up on their website and upload important documents like medical directives. They're even having a special this month: a free prostate exam with every colonoscopy.

I asked if they have a waiting room for my spouse, and they said "Sure-- Wal-Mart and a Starbucks!" Yeah, definitely a step up from Tripler.

The prep has apparently improved, too. The big event happens Thursday afternoon, and Tuesday night will be my last meal. There are the usual warnings about abstaining from nuts, fruits, and veggies. Wednesday will be a fasting day, although I can drink as much clear liquid as I want. (My preferred approved beverages are water, green tea, and coffee.) This time I'll be chugging MoviPrep, one quart at 5 PM Wednesday and the next quart at 5 AM Thursday.

Ideally I'll have a great prep and they'll be able to see clearly now.

Their anesthetic of choice is propofol, with a Versed chaser available upon request. I'm told that I respond really well to propofol (not that I can remember anything, which seems to be the whole point) so I'll try to pass up the Versed.

Wish the poker a clear view and the pokee happy dreams. And a good outcome.

Can they do the prostate part while you are still not remembering? :)

Sent from my ASUS_Z00AD using Early Retirement Forum mobile app

Their anesthetic of choice is propofol, with a Versed chaser available upon request. I'm told that I respond really well to propofol (not that I can remember anything, which seems to be the whole point) so I'll try to pass up the Versed.

I had a terrible reaction to this combo (as I mentioned on this thread a few years ago), so I opted for an unsedated colonoscopy my next time. It was only somewhat uncomfortable; the worst part was when they went around the corners. And once it was over, there was nothing to recover from. This is how I'm going to roll -- so to speak -- from now on.

Nords,

Don't worry. After Thursday you can truly say that your problems are behind you.

Just kidding. Good luck

I had propofol for my colonoscopy, and Versed for my cataract surgery. So, I can compare them from my own point of view, anyway.

I remembered NOTHING from the propofol. I was out cold, I guess. I had the most wonderful dreams in the world which I couldn't remember afterwards. When I awakened I felt more refreshed than I have ever felt from normal sleep. Basically, I can fully understand why Michael Jackson wanted it even when he wasn't in surgery. DELIGHTFUL... ;)

I was awake the whole time on Versed, and knew what was going on. It just removed all of my anxiety and I wasn't aware of any pain. When the doctor said, "Look at the light", I looked at the light, and so on. I didn't have the blissful nirvana feeling like I did on Propofol and I wasn't unconscious on it. On the other hand, it did the job well. But no bliss.

If it was me, I'd go for the propofol that your anesthetist wants to give you, and skip the Versed. :LOL:

Last edited:
Wishes for an uneventful procedure.

Up yours, Doug. Sincerely. :)
Ok... Once again I find myself laughing out loud at the keyboard and my husband looking at me like I'm nuts.

My BIL, and inventor, has one of many "rear view mirror" ideas for colonoscopes. So ask your doc if they're using one of those. According to my BIL, they miss a "sh**-ton of polyps" because they're behind a fold, or something.

As to the waking sedation vs knock-out (propofol), I kind of liked the waking sedation because afterwards, you go home and sleep the whole day away. With propofol, I was agonizing with getting rid of the air they pumped into me, wide awake, all day long.

One last thing, I didn't see what prep they had you on, but if your doc recommends some $300 big pharma thing, you can always just do this for about $10. If you care about your renal function, you'll think twice about using those salts. They outlawed phospho soda and the new ones? I wonder if the problems just haven't caught up with them yet. Mine is scheduled too, so that's why I'm up on this. But if they find no cancer, then it's worth the trouble (I guess).

Last edited:
"World-class colonoscopy"

One last thing, I didn't see what prep they had you on, but if your doc recommends some $300 big pharma thing, you can always just do this for about $10.

Thanks for this link. I got an e-mail from my doc's office with a link to prep items "chosen just for you"- $32, no description of the contents. I don't think so, Doc. I'll do it my way.

And my way, BTW, includes a little white wine.

Propofol works great, out in 3 seconds, and remember nothing.

Oboy, it's about that time again. And ironically, March is Colorectal Cancer Awareness Month. What better way to mark the occasion?

5 years already? Where does the time go? Glad that you survived the Appendectomy OK. Best wishes on your check up.

PREP:
My prep involved varying degrees of diet control over the course of a week. For e.g.: avoiding metamucil within 7 days of the procesure.

Then, more limitations within 3 days which I can't recall.
In the last 24 hours, I was on a Jello-only diet and was instructed to drink Polyethylene glycol and water to drink, starting about 18 hours before the procedure. This fluid was the worst part of the whole process. In fact, I strongly recommend forcing terrorists to consume this foul brew as I believe it would serve as a better deterrent than waterboarding.

ANASTHETIC:
I didn't ask about this, and just allowed the med people do their thing. I was unconscious for the whole procedure, which lasted about 20 minutes.

DRIVER:
I was told repeatedly not to drive, and to not sign any legal documents for 24 hours after the procedure. I took Uber to and from the appointment with no problem. So, I'd say a definite "yes" to using another driver. Absolutely no question about it. It could well be a DWI offense to drive yourself home. I wouldn't even think about disregarding that restriction.

RECOVERY:
About a day.

WHAT I'D DO DIFFERENTLY.
Mostly, just stress less about it. Other than that, all went well.

DRIVER:
I was told repeatedly not to drive, and to not sign any legal documents for 24 hours after the procedure. I took Uber to and from the appointment with no problem. So, I'd say a definite "yes" to using another driver. Absolutely no question about it. It could well be a DWI offense to drive yourself home.

I'm really surprised they let you use Uber; did the driver stay there the whole time? Most facilities insist on that. Heaven forbid you might have to stay in their precious recovery beds 5 minutes after you're discharged. Makes it very difficult for people who don't have a Significant Other available.

I do mine without anaesthetic and last time I did drive home. (DH was with me but I was just fine to drive.)

Back
Top Bottom