"World-class colonoscopy"

A good friend of mine said that as you age the lining becomes thinner and therefore you are at more of a risk for a perforated colon from a colonoscopy so she decided at age 70 would be her last one. She lives in a senior apartment so has known a few people that things went bad for from this test. No doubt it has saved countless younger lives though. I think like anything you have to weigh the risks.

This happened to an aunt of mine. She died from the event.

Ha

Sent from my iPhone using Early Retirement Forum

By the way, everything went well. I prepped for three days. I took the cheaper prep with the gallon jug (do not remember the name now). It smelled like latex gloves but with the flavoring that came with it, it did not taste as bad as it smelled.

Glad it went well for you Ed.

Ha

Well, since this is the kind of thing you can't discuss with a lot of people who know you IRL, I'll post here!

My colonoscopy was yesterday. I had an "incomplete prep" issue 5 years ago and was determined to have an effective prep this time. I stopped all the high-fiber stuff I LOVE (fresh vegetables, dried blueberries, nuts, whole grains) Saturday and Sunday. That part, I swear, was the worst. It's like you have to suspend all good eating habits. The main component of the prep was a brand of polyethylene glycol, which was OK mixed with Crystal Lite except that I got chilled from drinking cold beverages almost constantly for 3 hours. I finished at 8 PM, which is what the directions specified, and nothing happened. I followed the noxious stuff with a chaser of good scotch to get the taste of Crystal Lite mixed with PEG out of my mouth. Finally, at 6 AM the effects manifested themselves- one hour before I had to leave for the appointment. Fortunately, it was effective. :D

This was not the doc who had done my previous ones without anaesthetic (my preference); previous doc's office couldn't tell me what it would cost under my high-deductible plan and I gave up. My primary doc had recommended this guy, who really preferred to use anaesthetic. His explanation was rational and not based on the "I'm the doctor and I'll tell you what to do" attitude; he said that he really preferred to navigate as he needed without the constraint of trying to avoid pain to the patient.

It worked out well; they did find some nasties but I don't have to come back for 5 years, so they're not very exciting nasties. The anaesthetic wore off quickly. After relaxing and finally eating real food, I felt well enough to do my regular workout at the gym. They'd advised against it but they also said don't drink alcohol for 24 hours and I had my usual nightcap, too. I'm happy to report that I've survived both in good shape.

I had my first one ever at age 66 three years ago. The doc told me he would see me in ten years as they found nothing. I don't think so.:cool: Last one for me:facepalm:. Not even going to go through this again:(.

Supposedly they have alternatives that involve self collected stool samples. The higher end method of the 3 methods I've read about reports being 95%~ as effective as colonoscopy. One recommendation is to do the alternate method every other year which should, in theory, be as accurate as a colonoscopy every 10. I'm 50 and getting my first (and last, I hope) colonoscopy next month. My plan is to then get right on one of the other methods 24 months from now. I'd rather be a little grossed out every other year than ... (fill in the blank!)

Glad to hear that, ahem, "everything came out all right".:D

As the comedian Gallagher said about skiing: "You get on top of a slippery mountain with sleds on your feet, and you go down. Try not to..."

May 24 for my colonoscopy, but before that I have a nuclear stress test and a carotid artery test...oh, and a blood pressure check in between. Fun month ahead.

My plan is to then get right on one of the other methods 24 months from now. I'd rather be a little grossed out every other year than ... (fill in the blank!)

I got one at the 3-year mark and it was negative. I'll do that again; the current version tests for the presence of cancer DNA so it's very specific. I'll take cheap and non-invasive as an acceptable substitute any time it makes sense.

I'm apparently one of the outliers who had a really hard time with my first colonoscopy 10 years ago at age 51. I thought the prep was inconvenient but not a big problem. I expected to breeze right through the procedure as this is what you hear from everyone.

Unfortunately, I woke up in the middle of the procedure to the worst pain I have ever experienced. The doc discussed ending the procedure with me, but he thought he could finish it with the same pain level as extracting. I told him to finish. Results completely negative.

Now I'm due again. Scared to death. I'm told the remedy is to use propafol (stuff that killed Michael Jackson). It can make you forget to breathe, so someone must be present who can step in and breathe for you.

Considering that I had no polyps, I'm considering going with the alternative test.

I'm apparently one of the outliers who had a really hard time with my first colonoscopy 10 years ago at age 51. I thought the prep was inconvenient but not a big problem. I expected to breeze right through the procedure as this is what you hear from everyone.

Unfortunately, I woke up in the middle of the procedure to the worst pain I have ever experienced. The doc discussed ending the procedure with me, but he thought he could finish it with the same pain level as extracting. I told him to finish. Results completely negative.

Now I'm due again. Scared to death. I'm told the remedy is to use propafol (stuff that killed Michael Jackson). It can make you forget to breathe, so someone must be present who can step in and breathe for you.

Considering that I had no polyps, I'm considering going with the alternative test.

Mine is scheduled for tomorrow and going through the prep now. Oh well... Now I'll really get no sleep tonight. 😁

Enjoying life!

"World-class colonoscopy"

...breeze right through...

That pretty much sums up the prep...

Whatever they gave me knocked me out within about six seconds, and luckily I didn't awaken until in recovery.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom