Portal Forums Links Register FAQ Community Calendar Log in

Join Early Retirement Today
View Poll Results: Which would you rather be?
I'd rather look thin but be less fit (Person One) 20 29.41%
I'd rather look overweight but be fit (Person Two) 48 70.59%
Voters: 68. You may not vote on this poll

Old 08-04-2008, 08:43 AM   #21

To quote my ex: "I want both!"

I'm both thin and fit, although they are not always mutually exclusive.
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-04-2008, 06:31 PM   #22
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by harley View Post
The CDC has done studies that show that overweight (not obese) people have longer life expectancies than normal or thin groups.
I couldn't find the actual study but this article references it and confirms what Harley says.
Old 08-05-2008, 12:04 AM   #23
Recycles dryer sheets

When I was 30 - or even 40 I'd rather have been thin than fit. Life stretched ahead ad infinitum.

By 50, my priorities had changed. At that point I would take fitness over thinness any day.
outtarentals is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2008, 04:07 PM   #24
Recycles dryer sheets

I don't think this was a fair question. One doesn't have to be skinny or fat to be healthy. Here is a good link on the concept of being "skinny fat." Skinny-Fat | Mark's Daily Apple
windsurf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2008, 05:17 PM   #25
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by summer2007 View Post
I like girls either thin or athletic. I would take a little weight just a little for a really nice loving girl with a great personality though.

But 5-5 to 5-11 and 110 to 130 is perfect height and weight for a girl for me. I would accept outside that range but like I said the personality would have to be there!
Jim
Your post reminds me of something my Dad said to me when I was about 20, and he about 50. "Son", he said, "one of the few advantages of getting old is that you rarely find a woman you don't want."

He gave me very little sex or life instruction, but most of what he did say along these lines I have found to be generally true.

Ha
Old 08-06-2008, 06:27 PM   #26
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by haha View Post
Your post reminds me of something my Dad said to me when I was about 20, and he about 50. "Son", he said, "one of the few advantages of getting old is that you rarely find a woman you don't want."
Absolutely - I've often said over the years that I've noticed a steady increase of really attractive women.
Old 08-06-2008, 06:46 PM   #27
Gone but not forgotten

Send a message via AIM to Khan
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alan View Post
Absolutely - I've often said over the years that I've noticed a steady increase of really attractive women.
Even 60 or so's with independent incomes and ambivalent clothing?
Old 08-06-2008, 06:55 PM   #28
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Khan View Post
Even 60 or so's with independent incomes and ambivalent clothing?
Even Particularly 60 or so's with independent incomes and ambivalent clothing.
Old 08-06-2008, 08:17 PM   #29
Give me a forum ...

neither fit nor thin - to paraphrase the late W.C. Field's:

personally I'd rather find a New Orleans style Mufalata.

heh heh heh - two years off the cig's this month(with 10 lb pot belly) and screw my 30 minute walks until Mother Nature gets below 90.
unclemick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2008, 09:06 PM   #30
Give me a forum ...

Thin.
Old 08-06-2008, 10:59 PM   #31
Recycles dryer sheets

I find my visceral response to this question intriguing. As a 'mostly thin, sorta fit' person, my inclination was to immediate think this would devolve into a fattie-apologism thread.

I'm pleasantly surprised to see that it hasn't. A few comments towards us 'skinnies' but it has been pretty fair.

A few thoughts.

I definitely know some 'skinny-flabbies' who have low body weight yet are markedly out of shape. However, they still have the advantage of carrying low weight - much lower stress on joints, heart, etc. I think it would be easier for them to get into shape (whatever that means) than an obese person. Complete speculation on my part.

The idea that you can be obese/overweight (not sure we made the distinction here) and be completely healthy is somewhat a fallacy. There are also papers on the other side of the debate, and where the argument falls down is on cardiovascular health. Abdominal obesity IS a risk factor regardless of blood pressure, cholesterol, and other markers. Also, cancer incidence is definitely higher in overweight folk. Again, not sure what the definition of overweight is and whether that means a person is generally large or has abdominal obesity.

What does that mean in the context of this discussion? Nothing, except that regardless of our starting point we'd all benefit from exercise and working on being fit, and we can't wish ourselves something we aren't.
innova is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2008, 07:30 AM   #32
Full time employment: Posting here.

As someone who has always been on the heavier side of things, I'd like to try being thin. My frame is fairly big, and I carry a lot of my weight in my legs (mostly muscle). It'd be really neat to be skinny for a while (maybe a month) to see what it feels like. Having thighs that don't rub together would be wild. Gimme one of of those fast-running metabolisms that some skinny people seem to have where they can just pack away the food and not gain weight.

I believe the whole point of this was avoiding shades of gray. Thin/not so fit, or chubby/fit. Keep it simple!
Kronk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2008, 07:24 PM   #33
Moderator Emeritus

I'd rather carry a few extra pounds and be fit. My rail thin (but not fit) SIL had to be pushed up hills in our Washington DC trip where we walked about 80 miles.
Ronstar is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2008, 11:27 AM   #34
Full time employment: Posting here.

I would like to be fit, and my DW to be thin ...

-Ron
rs0460a is offline   Reply With Quote