Wow, Just got the renewal notice on Plan D

ejman

Thinks s/he gets paid by the post
I just received the Annual notice of changes for my Plan D from Humana RX plan. Premium goes up for 2020 from $26.60 a month to $56.60 - 113% increase. All I can say is wow. Time to start researching other plans. We are fortunate (wife and I) that our prescription needs so far are minimal but this is outrageous. I've never seen such an increase year to year in any insurance coverage on my seven decades on this earth.

I just received the Annual notice of changes for my Plan D from Humana RX plan. Premium goes up for 2020 from $26.60 a month to $56.60 - 113% increase. All I can say is wow. Time to start researching other plans. We are fortunate (wife and I) that our prescription needs so far are minimal but this is outrageous. I've never seen such an increase year to year in any insurance coverage on my seven decades on this earth.

That's a big increase. Mine is going up about $4 a month, IIRC. OTOH, your insurance may have a smaller deductible and (most important) a more generous formulary.

I volunteer for Part D plan review. We use the Medicare website that is an excellent tool for comparing plans. Www.medicare.gov

It's amazing what changing plans or pharmacies can do to lower cost. If need help there are a lot of programs offered at local senior centers.

Wellcare Part D for us will change from $15.50 to $17.20 - a high percentage almost 11% but a relatively insignificant $1.70 per mo. for each of us.

My Envisionrxplus went from 14.5 to 14.2/month.
oldmike

Aetna Part D will be written by Wellcare for 2020 and the premium will increase by > 31% and the deductible for tier 3 to 5 increases from $370 to $435.

Thankfully we can comparison shop come 10/15.

Mines going up $2 but the medications that used to be free are now going to cost me $15 month. This in essence doubles my monthly cost (from about $15 to over $30). I'm calling Boomer Benefits first week of October and see if there is anything better. I would rather just pay out of pocket, it would be cheaper. That's what I did with Obamacare.

If you have prescriptions, always check to see if your prescription plan covers them for the upcoming year. It can be a nasty surprise to find out after it's too late. This is advice from a SHIP counselor.

Our state MN is enacting laws to make insulin "free or low cost"..I'm guessing that just means all of us will pay for the cost of insulin in our Part D premiums and any other plans will rise too. Not looking forward to that renewal notice...

Also in WA state, and just got notification from Silverscripts of 2020 rates--actually down about a $1.20 but they added a $245 deductible but did reduce in prices for Tier 1 & 2, raised in Tier 4 and reduced in Tier 5. So like all Plan D, the devil in your personal details.
Other insurer pricing does not yet seem available

Also on Humana plan D and received their notification of changes for 2020. Current premium is $23.50 but jumps to $52.90 per month next year. Big ouch mainly because I do not take any prescription medicines. When I signed up two years ago, Humana was the least expensive coverage for me at $19 per month. How quickly things have changed.

Also on Humana plan D and received their notification of changes for 2020. Current premium is $23.50 but jumps to $52.90 per month next year. Big ouch mainly because I do not take any prescription medicines. When I signed up two years ago, Humana was the least expensive coverage for me at $19 per month. How quickly things have changed.

If my humana plan goes up as much as it did last year..I'll look for something cheaper

My Plan D is increasing the premium 12.7%, the Tier 1 copay 66% and the Tier 2 copay 33%.

When I had ACA all I saw were double digit increases, and all the Medicare increases were low single digit. Now that I'm on Medicare, the ACA policy is flat, and my Medicare is now into double digit increase. The outrage! No telling what the MediGap policies will do but, with my luck, it'll be painful. If I didn't have bad luck I wouldn't have any luck at all.

Of course, another way to look at it is my Plan D premium is increasing $1.60, and the Tier 1 and 2 copays are increasing by $2 and $3, respectively. I think we can squeeze by this year.

My Plan D is increasing the premium 12.7%, the Tier 1 copay 66% and the Tier 2 copay 33%.

When I had ACA all I saw were double digit increases, and all the Medicare increases were low single digit. Now that I'm on Medicare, the ACA policy is flat, and my Medicare is now into double digit increase. The outrage! No telling what the MediGap policies will do but, with my luck, it'll be painful. If I didn't have bad luck I wouldn't have any luck at all.

Of course, another way to look at it is my Plan D premium is increasing $1.60, and the Tier 1 and 2 copays are increasing by $2 and $3, respectively. I think we can squeeze by this year.

Tongue in cheek I realize but the overall trend is kind of alarming

Medicare Advantage user chiming in! I have no Part D, just whatever deal I get from my MA plan. 2019 premium for my drugs, dental, and medical was zero. 2020 premiums are not listed yet. Probably will have to change plans to get best deal, if MA is anything like ACA I was on. Had to change every year for 6 years to get best deal. Good luck to everyone on a Plan D !

Yes, I also picked Humana when I signed up 3 years ago because it was the cheapest plan available and since the only med I use is Lisinopril 5 mg which is very inexpensive (currently a $4 copay tier 2 I guess) I didn't know how I could use the formulary to see what is potentially covered and what is not. I guess until one gets sick and needs a specific med for a chronic condition there is no way to check ahead of time which plan is good/not good.

This plan D system really sucks big time. If one is not currently taking any meds how does one pick a plan other than by price? I'm thinking of picking the cheapest available again on renewal time next month unless someone can suggest a better approach.

My husband's Humana Plan D went from $29.60 to $58 next year.

Me too! I'm on the Walmart Humana plan. Was $30 and now is $62 next year. Sad part is that I only have two inexpensive Rx's. What?
Ok, it's only an extra $30 a month but still........

Me too! I'm on the Walmart Humana plan. Was $30 and now is $62 next year. Sad part is that I only have two inexpensive Rx's. What?
Ok, it's only an extra $30 a month but still........

Only? It double in one year, that means next year 124...:facepalm:

Last edited:
Only? It double in one year, that means next year 124...:facepalm:

Now I was just on the Medicare site. They list THIS year's Plan D options and rates but don't seem to have next year's rates.

Am I looking at the right place? Or are rates coming out later?

There's a Aetna plan for $17 a month but I wonder what it might be next year.

Tongue in cheek I realize but the overall trend is kind of alarming
It was tongue in cheek, I'm not alarmed, more like numb from a decade and a half of really high health care costs.

Now I was just on the Medicare site. They list THIS year's Plan D options and rates but don't seem to have next year's rates.

Rates won't be available until Oct 15, when open enrollment begins. In our case, WellCare mailed us the 2020 rate a couple of weeks ago. Others in this thread reporting next year rates probably received the same from their insurer.

Last edited:

I meant for 2021 as it doubles it would be 124....my idea of a bad joke...

Back
Top Bottom