Join Early Retirement Today

Wow, This Retirement Stuff Works
Old 01-16-2008, 03:35 PM   #1
Dryer sheet wannabe

Wow, This Retirement Stuff Works

Over the years I have read numerous posts herein describing the positive benefits to one's health during retirement. After 4 months in, damn if I'm not seeing some pretty positive changes.

These would include losing ~ 20 pounds, reducing dosage on two meds and eliminating one completely, blood pressure dropping to 120/70, and last but not least, waking up with a smile on my face every morning. I'm not yet where I want to be, but I'm heading in the right direction of that total health continuum.

Amazing what more time and less stress can do for one!
loosehead is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-16-2008, 03:37 PM   #2
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...

Another convert. Pass the collection plate.
Old 01-16-2008, 04:26 PM   #3
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by loosehead View Post
Over the years I have read numerous posts herein describing the positive benefits to one's health during retirement. After 4 months in, damn if I'm not seeing some pretty positive changes.

Congratulations on the positive changes.

You are navigating retirement in the right way in my opinion. In the 4 months after I first retired I too dropped 25 pounds, dropped my BP, trigycerides, cholestorol, and bad attitude! I started going to 24Hour Fitness 3 days a week and have kept up that routine for going on 8 years now.

It only gets even better the farther you get into it. When have trouble remembering what day of the week it is, you will know you are really *retired*.

Enjoy!
Old 01-16-2008, 04:29 PM   #4

Forgot to say, even eight years out from pulling the FIRE trigger, sometimes I still feel that delicious sense of exhiliration. Like I can't quite believe it, but I know it's true, and it's wonderful.
Old 01-16-2008, 04:57 PM   #5
Gone but not forgotten

Send a message via AIM to Khan
Quote:

These would include losing ~ 20 pounds, reducing dosage on two meds and eliminating one completely, blood pressure dropping to 120/70, and last but not least, waking up with a smile on my face every morning. I'm not yet where I want to be, but I'm heading in the right direction of that total health continuum.

Amazing what more time and less stress can do for one!
Welcome to your new life.
Old 01-16-2008, 05:12 PM   #6
Full time employment: Posting here.

Quote:
It only gets even better the farther you get into it. When have trouble remembering what day of the week it is, you will know you are really *retired*.
Heck, you don't have to be retired for that -- just join a company that expects you to be working 24/7! You'll have trouble remembering your NAME, after a while. ;-)

Seriously, congRATulations on the new lease on life. Hope to join you someday soon!
Caroline is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2008, 06:10 PM   #7

Congratulations on your improvement! Last year my cholesterol was a little high. I'll have 4 months in retirement in a couple of months. Maybe have it rechecked at the end of March.
mountaintosea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2008, 07:31 AM   #8

congrats. You now have experienced an added benefit to retirement that will actually help you prolong your state of bliss. Welcome to the club.
Old 01-18-2008, 09:30 AM   #9

Very cool!!

Of course now you will probably live longer due to your better health, so don't forget to adjust your life expectancy in firecalc
cardude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2008, 03:25 PM   #10
Dryer sheet wannabe

"Very cool!!

Of course now you will probably live longer due to your better health, so don't forget to adjust your life expectancy in firecalc"

I appreciate your optimism! I used 30 years originally and believe that will still hold, albeit at a higher quality of life. Not a bad deal, actually!
loosehead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2008, 06:37 PM   #11
Recycles dryer sheets

crap. DH and I are going in the wrong direction and putting on the weight. We keep baking and drinking what we lovingly call liquid gold (pepsi). It's only been 3 weeks. We're 40 and this is supposed to be our decade of health. Better get more disciplined. Oops, gotta go the Vampire is coming on
enfp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2008, 07:16 PM   #12
Administrator

Quote:
I appreciate your optimism! I used 30 years originally and believe that will still hold, albeit at a higher quality of life. Not a bad deal, actually!
It all sounds wonderful, I look forward to it went it comes. Do you mind me asking how old you are