Wrinkles

Boho

Thinks s/he gets paid by the post
I don't really have wrinkles but I kind of have, maybe a loss of fat or collagen around my eyes that I'm considering trying to fix. Like Scott Baio has, but I don't have his crows feet.

kZgEv8a.jpg

There's retinol and newer retinoids that are less irritating than retinol, but you have to be extra careful with the sun with all of them. So, in addition to the retinoid, I'd have to apply sunblock under my eyes before I go out. The routine is kind of annoying and I'm wondering if retinoids would even help people like me and Scott, and if so, whether we could discontinue use after a few months and retain long lasting benefits. Like, maybe after three or four months we could stop for a year or two. :confused:

Nope, nothing topical is gonna help besides a good moisturizer, and then just for that day (or hours).

There are two main symptoms at work here:

Actual skin discoloration (like if the fat and collagen were still there and you'd still have shadow)
and
Age/lack of volume, like you mention.

The first, - color -is often genetic or sun damage and needs a dermatologist, if anything. Or Dermablend, or any nice cover up makeup.

The second, more common...The only thing for the hollowed out under eye/bags/shadows that really works is basically fillers. In which a dermatologist/plastic surgeon, injects Restalyne or something into the eye trough. Costs a bunch and is only temporary (months, not years).

Retinols and retina-A and any OTC eye cream might help a teeny bit with appearance of wrinkles, but no, you aren't going to apply even a $200 eye cream for a few month and fix anything. Any face/eye topical with retinols you want to apply at night as even sunblock isn't ideal for stronger formulations really.

I worked long and hard to get all these wrinkles. I'm not giving them up now.

If you decide to use sunblock around your eyes, be sure to get a brand that says it won't burn them. Even if you're careful to stay away from your eyelids, creams tend to migrate into the eyes, and most sunblocks burn like crazy and are difficult to wipe away. Doubly true if you're perspiring.

I'm getting some loss of volume around my eyes as well, which accentuates the dark circles I've always had genetically. Gives me a nice zombie look if I loose too much sleep. Oh well...

I think if I exercise my upper lip I can pump up my zygomaticus minor and levator labii superioris muscles. That may help.

I do the jaw jut from time to time to maybe help keep a saggy chin at bay. It actually does make my throat and neck muscles a little sore.

https://www.healthline.com/health/how-to-get-rid-of-double-chin

Straight jaw jut
  1. Tilt your head back and look toward the ceiling.
  2. Push your lower jaw forward to feel a stretch under the chin.
  3. Hold the jaw jut for a 10 count.
  4. Relax your jaw and return your head to a neutral position.

Be grateful you got old enough to have wrinkles. There is an alternative, you know....

Maybe a retinol could help smooth the skin a little anyway. This is under my right eye.

Attachments

• under-eye.jpg
    under-eye.jpg
    57.2 KB · Views: 232
Maybe a retinol could help smooth the skin a little anyway. This is under my right eye.

Not really, not very much, and doubtful enough to be noticeable. Millions of women with, presumably, far greater vanity, have tried and have the receipts of years of trying to show for it.

Just get a good moisturizer, and use that daily after washing your face, gently, and then sunscreen for any time you'll go outside. 80% of anything you can do to look better comes from that. Don't smoke, eat well, etc. Skin is far more a reflection of what goes into it all day long, for years, than what you rubbed into it that morning.

I took my 8 year old grandson out for breakfast last year. Another patron commented how he looked like me. My grandson asked me why, so I gave an elementary explanation of genetics: "Mom [my daughter] looks like me, and you look like Mom. So that's why people think you look like me." His reply: "But Mommy doesn't have wrinkles."

I am at peace with my wrinkles and my incoming gray hair (staved that off, naturally - but as I rapidly approach 60 - it's a losing battle.)

I use sunscreen to avoid skin cancer. I use moisturizer because my skin is dry. But I don't actively try to reverse the aging process... Wrinkles and gray hair are part of the aging process.

Que sera, sera. I just can’t see the value of fighting a losing war. I do a what I can to be healthy, but things like wrinkles, grey hair, loss of hair . . . just aren’t worth the trouble. I have nothing to gain by looking a little younger. Hell, I didn’t look that good at 30, so not sure what I could do now even if I was interested. :D

Skin consists of several layers on top of the flesh and bones. No cream or lotion does anything to skin structure below the very surface - it would be scary if it did, since anything that can penetrate that far into your skin can get into your flesh!

If you have very dry surface skin, a moisturizer will help and in fact, is a necessity. But wrinkles are the result of aging going all the way into your flesh, and aging is the result of many factors, especially gravity. No matter how much a person exercises, eats right, avoids sunlight, avoids bad habits - gravity gets us all. What sat at one point on your face or body when you were 30, sits a good bit lower at 60+. Of course it sits a LOT lower, if you didn't do all the good things ;^>

The only means we have, at present, to fight gravity, is plastic surgery. That would merit a big thread in itself.

Now the skillful use of cosmetics can help, to an extent, by altering the way shadows are perceived on your face. That would be another big thread.

Nope, nothing topical is gonna help besides a good moisturizer, and then just for that day (or hours).

There are two main symptoms at work here:

Actual skin discoloration (like if the fat and collagen were still there and you'd still have shadow)
and
Age/lack of volume, like you mention.

The first, - color -is often genetic or sun damage and needs a dermatologist, if anything. Or Dermablend, or any nice cover up makeup.

The second, more common...The only thing for the hollowed out under eye/bags/shadows that really works is basically fillers. In which a dermatologist/plastic surgeon, injects Restalyne or something into the eye trough. Costs a bunch and is only temporary (months, not years).

Retinols and retina-A and any OTC eye cream might help a teeny bit with appearance of wrinkles, but no, you aren't going to apply even a $200 eye cream for a few month and fix anything. Any face/eye topical with retinols you want to apply at night as even sunblock isn't ideal for stronger formulations really.
+1

This is the correct answer.

Fillers aren't permanent, so if you decide to give them a try and aren't happy, you can either have them dissolved or just let them absorb and go way naturally.

If you decide to try fillers and are nervous about overdoing it, you can just get a little and see how you like it. Many doctors offer a discount for extra syringes and give you 30 or 60 days to come back and get that discount, so if yours does that, you can go back and get a little more if you wish.

The only thing for the hollowed out under eye/bags/shadows that really works is basically fillers. In which a dermatologist/plastic surgeon, injects Restalyne or something into the eye trough.

I read this in a letter to the editor of the Journal of Dermatological Science (2006):

"...the amount of [Hyaluronic acid/Restalyne] that reached into the dermis following iontophoresis was significant, although not impressive. However, it should be considered that being the treatment is fast and painless, and avoiding all the problems associated with syringes and needles, it could be proposed as a safe alternative to injection."

I don't think I'll be paying for that but I may look into it more deeply.

I have accepted aging and many never have that privilege. I have lost 30 pounds in the past 5 months so have added wrinkles but it’s better for my health to not be heavy.

I read this in a letter to the editor of the Journal of Dermatological Science (2006):

"...the amount of [Hyaluronic acid/Restalyne] that reached into the dermis following iontophoresis was significant, although not impressive. However, it should be considered that being the treatment is fast and painless, and avoiding all the problems associated with syringes and needles, it could be proposed as a safe alternative to injection."

I don't think I'll be paying for that but I may look into it more deeply.

That's not a procedure that is viable for under-eye. Most HA products like that also run about $500 per application. And you need a doctor to do any of it.

Honestly, most of this stuff rarely looks natural when women do it, and on men....see simon cowell before and after... ugh.

Start with a good cleansing and moisturizing routine, avoid the sun, drink lots of water. 6 months - anyone not already doing those things will look better.

That's not a procedure that is viable for under-eye. Most HA products like that also run about $500 per application. And you need a doctor to do any of it.

Honestly, most of this stuff rarely looks natural when women do it, and on men....see simon cowell before and after... ugh.

Start with a good cleansing and moisturizing routine, avoid the sun, drink lots of water. 6 months - anyone not already doing those things will look better.

Yikes I just looked at Simons photos... I think he had a FL and sub malar cheek implants. Creepy. And yep you don’t want fillers under the eye. In the event of uneven filler or even developing granulomas.

One of the advantages men have is that if they maintain their bodies well - flat abs, etc. - nobody really cares what their faces look like. And a man, if he tries, can stay fit till he's 90.

Gee, didn't your mom tell you never to look at your face in a magnifying mirror??:LOL: It always looks worse when you blow it up!

I've had those little cross-hatchings under my eyes since my 30s and they never bothered me. They're from the sun, and they ain't going away. Now, the dark half-circles...that could be from too little sleep (does it to me), too much salt (water retention) or just plain genetics. When I get them, I use a little dab of matte concealer that matches my skin tone. There are Youtube tutorials on how to apply concealer around the eyes.

Now, the dark half-circles...

If I tilt my head slightly up, the bathroom light will hit under my eyes and I'll mostly blend. It's mostly shadow that's darkening that area, due to volume loss I guess. I need a fat graft.

Wrinkles are just part of the aging process. Accept it or reject it, the results are the same, and mirrors don't lie.
I use sunscreen in the summer along with moisturizers and toners to keep my skin healthy because I suffer from dry skin.
But some wrinkles are just inevitable no matter what you do.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom