Portal Forums Links Register FAQ Community Calendar Log in

Join Early Retirement Today

Old 10-25-2012, 08:36 PM   #61
Administrator

Thanks for that background oldtrig. It is definitely not too late to begin an exercise regime, and exercise will almost certainly improve your health. Just be sure to start slow and build up, and don't be hesitant to ask advice from your doctor if you have had health issues.
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-25-2012, 09:03 PM   #62
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alan
Thanks for that background oldtrig. It is definitely not too late to begin an exercise regime, and exercise will almost certainly improve your health. Just be sure to start slow and build up, and don't be hesitant to ask advice from your doctor if you have had health issues.
+1

...not doing anything of true substance...
HFWR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2012, 09:11 PM   #63
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alan
I thought of this thread when I played tennis today.

These days it takes me a while to get ready as I have to put on ankle braces, knee braces, a back brace and a wrist brace. I also like to wear a heart monitor since my max HR these days is a measly 163 (soon to be 162) using the 220-age formula. (In my hour long cardio challenge class on Thursday I had to slow down on the final run as it hit 170).

After playing I also need to stretch, ibuprofein at times, and then take a bubble bath.

I accept that at some point I'll have to switch to doubles and eventually stop playing, but until that happens I'll make whatever modifications it takes.
Just catching up with this thread. Alan, I am ashamed of myself after reading your post. I loved competitive tennis, but gave it up a couple years ago because my knee hurt to much from the planting and cutting ( though I still hit recreationally with my GF). You sure are dedicated to the sport to go through all the steps you take and endure to continue playing.
Mulligan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2012, 09:18 PM   #64
Full time employment: Posting here.

W2r , I guess you could say I suffer from Chronic fatigue syndrome. So far my retirement has not been that good as my health problems continue. I am on my third week of antibiotics after a terrible sinus infection. I went back to the doctor today and he said my lymph node in my neck has went down about 3/4 but he kept me on the antibiotics for another 10 days. I have suffered from allergies all my life and in the last 10 years they have got worse. Some days I cannot do much of anything. I have felt much better in the last two days so I hope the meds are finally working. I am not overweight, eat good but in the last few months I just have not felt much like working out. I will start again Monday and try to do like you do. My wife and I both are pretty fit and we do walk 2 miles a day most days. I just need to build some muscles where I can get some strength back. I have some many things planned but the problems I have had stopped most of them. I starting having kidney problems in April and after every test known to man I passed a stone and that problem went away. That lasted about three months before I was back to normal in that area. I have just had a run of back luck but again I pray that I am on the road to recovery. Thanks for posting back about the exercise thing. I will start that next week. oldtrig
oldtrig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2012, 09:47 PM   #65
Give me a forum ...

Oldtrig, I think it is great that you can walk 2 miles a day, especially as sick as you have been! I am impressed. Keep it up (if your doctor approves) and I am sure that you will be happy with the results.

Happily retired since 2009, at age 61. Best years of my life by far!
W2R is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2012, 07:53 AM   #66
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by W2R View Post
Oldtrig, I think it is great that you can walk 2 miles a day, especially as sick as you have been! I am impressed. Keep it up (if your doctor approves) and I am sure that you will be happy with the results.
+1

Never give up, never surrender...
Old 10-26-2012, 08:58 AM   #67
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldtrig View Post
W2r , I guess you could say I suffer from Chronic fatigue syndrome. So far my retirement has not been that good as my health problems continue. I am on my third week of antibiotics after a terrible sinus infection. I went back to the doctor today and he said my lymph node in my neck has went down about 3/4 but he kept me on the antibiotics for another 10 days. I have suffered from allergies all my life and in the last 10 years they have got worse. Some days I cannot do much of anything. I have felt much better in the last two days so I hope the meds are finally working. I am not overweight, eat good but in the last few months I just have not felt much like working out. I will start again Monday and try to do like you do. My wife and I both are pretty fit and we do walk 2 miles a day most days. I just need to build some muscles where I can get some strength back. I have some many things planned but the problems I have had stopped most of them. I starting having kidney problems in April and after every test known to man I passed a stone and that problem went away. That lasted about three months before I was back to normal in that area. I have just had a run of back luck but again I pray that I am on the road to recovery. Thanks for posting back about the exercise thing. I will start that next week. oldtrig
It sounds like you are just in a temporary rough patch. I agree with others, that 2 miles a day is a great foundation to build on. One could study their pace a bit and up the mileage. I have one of those low cost little pedometers and they're great for measuring progress: Timex T5E011 Digital Pedometer: Sports & Outdoors: Amazon.com
Lsbcal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2012, 10:15 PM   #68
Full time employment: Posting here.

I am so much better but not completely well yet. If anyone has ever had a bad sinus infection you know where I am. For the first three days I was sick everything smelled terrible. The first antibiotics did not work. These I am on now seem to be doing the trick. The neck gland is continuing to go down.
On the exercises thing I picked up the pace this weekend walking three miles at a fast pace around my block. Tonight I walked on the treadmill for a hard 20 minutes. My next step is start eating better. I just got off the good meal thing since I retired early this year. It is so easy to say the heck with it and eat some fries and a burger. I am almost at my high school weight which is good being it has been over 47 years since I left school.
oldtrig
oldtrig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2012, 08:24 AM   #69
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldtrig View Post
...(snip)...
On the exercises thing I picked up the pace this weekend walking three miles at a fast pace around my block. Tonight I walked on the treadmill for a hard 20 minutes. ...
Sounds great! Just a reminder to not ramp up too fast. Think of a gentle stair step. Maybe no more then about a 10% increase overall each week. There's plenty of time in ER.
Lsbcal is offline   Reply With Quote