Portal Forums Links Register FAQ Community Calendar Log in

Join Early Retirement Today

Old 12-08-2016, 06:18 PM   #101
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by Huston55 View Post
Two days in hospital & that many drugs seems severe. Is that typical or, did you have a complicated surgery/complications during surgery?
Not one. The extra day was to try to get the pain meds correct. They told me one or two days.

Surgery itself went really well.
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-08-2016, 06:25 PM   #102
Gone but not forgotten

Congratulations ! Hope it is all uphill from here . Don't forget to take pain meds before physical therapy and ice ,ice ,ice .
Moemg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2016, 06:43 PM   #103
Full time employment: Posting here.

Prayers and best wishes for your recovery and congratulations on getting through the surgery. 56 here also and also hoping to make it to 60 or even 65 before replacement. Pain and stability issues may change that for me too, time will tell.
mamadogmamacat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2016, 08:43 PM   #104
Recycles dryer sheets

I've had both knees replaced this year, the first in June, second in October. Each time I only stayed one night in the hospital and yes, they do have you up walking a couple hours after surgery. I took Hydrocodone and Tramadol for pain. I also started physical therapy within a few days of surgery each time. I'm just about to the end of PT for my second knee. It's been 7 weeks since the second knee, doing well except for going down steps, I still can only do one step at a time, going up no problem. Hang in there, it will get better!
calico1597 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2016, 11:17 PM   #105
Dryer sheet aficionado

We are lucky to have many good ortho docs in US - the best. However, I'm 52 now and was scheduled for Hip replacement for good reason. Bone on bone. They said 50/50 genetic and athletics (lots of basketball on a big frame). So as I'm hating what I'm hearing pre-op about the risks going forward, I learned of the Ozzie Smith center here in StL. there are like facilities elsewhere. They use Physical Therapy, Chiro, and Platelet and Stem Cell Therapy (your own adult stem cells). I cancelled the replacement. I'm done with the treatment and now need to wait 9-12 months to decide whether anything else is needed. I am 65% improved right now, and the stem cells aren't going to kick into high gear until about March. Please check out PRP and Stem Cell treatments. I would never go to the doctor given the movement I have now. Question is will it last... but glad to have my original bones for now. This stuff is changing fast.
Old 12-09-2016, 01:16 AM   #106
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by bclover View Post
Well, had my total knee replacement of my left knee on Monday. Two days stay in the hospital and now I'm home.

First day was vicious. Whew anesthesia wore off and pain was seriously at 10.
I'm on a drug cocktail. Oxycodone and tramadol for pain. Baby aspirin to prevent blood clots. Metaxalone and Gabapentin for muscle relaxation.

They got me up Monday after surgery to walk and Tuesday for physical therapy.

For the next two weeks I'm doing p/t at home with a app called forced therapeutics. Supposedly better for patients at the beginning, lol Methinks it's cheaper for the insurance companies

Because I live in a 3 story townhomes, we've moved stuff around so I can avoid stairs. Sleeping on the living room couch, on the same floor as kitchen and small bath

Feel free to ask questions
How did I miss your post? Congratulations! Glad all seems to be going well. Thanks for the update.

Happily retired since 2009, at age 61. Best years of my life by far!
W2R is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2016, 03:00 AM   #107

BClover, my TKR is scheduled for next Friday. I had heard from my Father and cousin that the first week or 2 is the period of regret. After that, as my cousin said, "Would I have done the 2nd knee if it wasn't worth it?" As for the hospital stay, I have been told to expect 3 days and they likely will send you home early. I am looking forward to the end of Jan, and trying to ignore the remainder of this year!

Best wished on your recovery.
Taxman59 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2016, 06:19 AM   #108

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taxman59 View Post
BClover, my TKR is scheduled for next Friday. I had heard from my Father and cousin that the first week or 2 is the period of regret. After that, as my cousin said, "Would I have done the 2nd knee if it wasn't worth it?" As for the hospital stay, I have been told to expect 3 days and they likely will send you home early. I am looking forward to the end of Jan, and trying to ignore the remainder of this year!

Best wished on your recovery.
lol, everyone I've talked to has said the same thing. my surgeon told me I'd be calling him various colorful names the first two weeks. everyone I spoke too also said they wished they had gotten it sooner and are pain free.

my two biggest challenges:
1) sleeping. unfortunately this girl does like her 8 hours, so usually by the middle of the night I'm tossing and turning

2) eating halfway healthy. i should have made some easy meals before hand. pain meds have to be taken with food.
Old 12-09-2016, 09:25 AM   #109

Lots of positive thoughts to continued recovery. Hopefully the app will be as good as a physical therapist for the PT part of things.
Old 12-25-2016, 04:06 PM   #110

Quote:
Originally Posted by bclover View Post
my two biggest challenges:

1) sleeping. unfortunately this girl does like her 8 hours, so usually by the middle of the night I'm tossing and turning

2) eating halfway healthy. i should have made some easy meals before hand. pain meds have to be taken with food.

9 days in and like you, the sleep is my biggest problem. I get about 2 hours sleep, get up and walk around, sit in a recliner watch some Netflix, fall asleep for another 2 hours, pain meds then back to bed for an hour or three. I keep thinking that if I could get a really good sleep, I would be fine, the pain would be eased, the stretching would be easier and life would be close to normal. LOL

Hope you are doing well, Merry Christmas!
Old 12-25-2016, 05:02 PM   #111
Give me a forum ...

So my question is why so many bad knee's? What do you attribute your bad knees from? I have worked in an occupation that is very hard on knee's and playing football for many years my knee's are good.
street is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2016, 05:18 PM   #112
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by street View Post
So my question is why so many bad knee's? What do you attribute your bad knees from? I have worked in an occupation that is very hard on knee's and playing football for many years my knee's are good.
I was a long distance runner (serious one) until about 40 years old. Then work travel put a crimp in that and I stopped and only played softball and golf. No knee problems, but I do have a titanium hip on one side.

BIL had both knees replaced and he was a corporate exec, in pretty good physical condition. DW is facing one knee replacment and has always been slim and not an athlete.

I guess it's a crapshoot as to why knees fail.
Old 12-25-2016, 05:26 PM   #113

Quote:

So a little bit of every thing. I have osteoarthritis, which for me is probably genetic as my mother had it and so did my grandmother.

Runner for many years on city concrete.
and of course age.

started p/t last week, tomorrow will be 3 weeks from surgery. Didn't travel to families in North Carolina for the holiday (lol that was a good thing) as I didn't want to ride 8 hours in car.

walking is coming along very well. like Taximan, I'm still not sleeping well, which is annoying. outside of that I feel pretty good. One thing I have noticed is that my hip is no longer hurting. when my knee hurt I was compensating on the other side, which was causing other issue.
Old 12-25-2016, 05:42 PM   #114

Partly genetics,osteoarthritis runs in the family; partly overweight, that's all on me. I never could run because of back issues, and over time the arthritis took over.
Old 12-25-2016, 07:10 PM   #115

I took a flying puppy in the knee at the dog park. She died of old age this year and so did the remains of my knee cartilage.
AllDone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2016, 08:50 PM   #116
Give me a forum ...

My wife has a long history of tendonitis, spinal stenosis and arthritis. Now she has mid foot arthritis and can hardly even walk or wear shoes--which came on fast. We've learned about ortho doctors, neurosurgeons and pain management physicians the hard way.

God gave us pain for a reason. Doctors try to put joint surgery off as late as possible trying to stage future surgeries when joints wear out. But when you're completely miserable, you're also passing misery and depression to your DW, DS, DD and everyone in your life.

There are so many hero's out there trying to not take their medications, or lighten up on taking drugs. The meds are there for a reason, and it's very important that they're taken as prescribed. Do not worry about become addicted. Remember that those taking such drugs faking the pain will act goofy, while those truly needing the drugs will act normal. My wife and a thousand others going to her pain management clinic would be invalids and in nursing homes without medicine management.

To those with surgery or joint replacement in your future, good luck to you. Be thankful they continue to make inroads all the time.
Bamaman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2016, 09:15 PM   #117
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bamaman View Post

There are so many hero's out there trying to not take their medications, or lighten up on taking drugs. The meds are there for a reason, and it's very important that they're taken as prescribed. Do not worry about become addicted. Remember that those taking such drugs faking the pain will act goofy, while those truly needing the drugs will act normal. My wife and a thousand others going to her pain management clinic would be invalids and in nursing homes without medicine management.
Really? Maybe your wife got lucky? It's not universal that pain meds, especially the synthetic heroin strains, are "safe". They are quite dangerous and now that they are much more controlled than "before", many people who got addicted after being prescribed, are hopeless drug addicts. Your statement and conclusion tears at me because we buried a close family member over this pain med stuff.
Old 12-26-2016, 01:27 AM   #118

Quote:
My wife has a long history of tendonitis, spinal stenosis and arthritis. Now she has mid foot arthritis and can hardly even walk or wear shoes--which came on fast. We've learned about ortho doctors, neurosurgeons and pain management physicians the hard way.
I have midfoot arthritis. It was horrible pain for a while. I could barely walk. It felt like a ten pound weight was being dropped on my foot everytime I transferred weight to it. Then I read an article in a women's magazine that demonstrated different shoe lacing patterns for various foot problems. Can't hurt, right? Parallel lacing relieved about 75% of my pain and most of the rest of the pain resolved gradually from walking and further strengthening. I've since invented my own shoe lace pattern that works for my foot. It sounds stupid, but your wife might want to give it a try. Weight loss and orthotics may have helped marginally too, but relacing my shoe was a five-minute miracle.
AllDone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2016, 07:00 AM   #119
gone traveling

Quote:
What's the definition of "so many"? How many should there be?

IMO, injuries happen & body parts wear out & what you're seeing pn this thread is the concentration of posters with bad knees. Few posters are on this thread without them.

E.g., when a thread on Hawaii starts, those that post are those that plan to go & those that have been. Others don't post. Same here.
gerntz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2016, 01:12 PM   #120
Give me a forum ...

Quote:

God gave us pain for a reason. Doctors try to put joint surgery off as late as possible trying to stage future surgeries when joints wear out. But when you're completely miserable, you're also passing misery and depression to your DW, DS, DD and everyone in your life.

To those with surgery or joint replacement in your future, good luck to you. Be thankful they continue to make inroads all the time.
Uhh, what does act goofy mean, are you saying that someone who actually has pain won't suffer from side effects of the meds? That's a completely unfounded comment. Too many people die from pain management meds for you to be writing these kind of comments...to call someone who tries to take as few meds as possible a "hero" in a negative way is not cool.
ivinsfan is online now   Reply With Quote