Yet another new test for Alzheimer's

MichaelB

Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...
Site Team
So far none of the "breakthrough tests" have made it into the big time. For those that are interested, here's an announcement of another new test to diagnose AD. Rowan researchers develop blood test to detect early Alzheimer's | NJ.com

"Our results show that it is possible to use a small number of blood-borne autoantibodies to accurately diagnose early-stage Alzheimer's. These findings could eventually lead to the development of a simple, inexpensive and relatively noninvasive way to diagnose this devastating disease in its earliest stages," DeMarshall added. In a proof study, which involved 236 subjects, the test was able to detect 100 percent of subjects whose MCI was actually caused by an early stage of Alzheimer's disease.

I don't want to hear about another diagnostic test until they have a cure. :(

I just heard today that Kris Kristoferson was diagnosed with Alzheimer's only to later discover he has Lyme disease, which is treatable.

I don't want to hear about another diagnostic test until they have a cure. :(
Certainly no cure yet, but I heard some fairly positive information recently about work by a team that has produced some improvements in cognitive function in folks who were experiencing cognitive decline and in early stages of Alzheimer's. It's a multi-front approach, and the therapy is tailored to each patient based on a fairly in-depth appraisal of blood levels of various substances together with what we know about the formation of beta-amyloid plaques, etc. They look at 36 different indicators and use drugs, nutrition, exercise, sleep, etc to bring them into the optimum range.
Ironically, since there's no new "magic bullet" drug, there's not much money for this, and because they are changing so many variables, it will be hard to do large controlled studies. But, they seem to be getting results, which is good news in a field that has produced very little good news. Obviously, the jury is still out. At this point we have just anecdotal reporting.

-- A good podcast on Dr Dale Bredesen's work (People's Pharmacy, NPR). There are some nutritional recommendations mentioned in the podcast that many people might want to adopt on their own.
-- A short Web MD article on the approach. It has not been studied enough to earn widespread acceptance.

Again--take with a big spoonful of "wait and see".

On the one hand, I'd like to know for planning purposes. On the other hand, call me paranoid, but I'm afraid of what health insurers or community agencies could do with the information.

Back
Top Bottom