Join Early Retirement Today

You might want to rethink your plans to use Medicaid to pay for the nursing home.
Old 05-09-2018, 05:54 PM   #1
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

You might want to rethink your plans to use Medicaid to pay for the nursing home.

In Louisiana, the state house has passed a budget that cuts health care expenditures substantially. If passed by the state senate and signed, $230MM will be cut from Medicaid. According to the USA Today article, more than 30,000 nursing home residents will receive notices that they will lose their eligibility as of July 1.

https://www.usatoday.com/story/news/...aos/588867002/
Another Reader is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-09-2018, 07:30 PM   #2
gone traveling

Don't move to Louisiana - got it.
joeea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2018, 08:58 PM   #3
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Saw this on the evening news tonight.

IMO, another "Grandma's gonna get thrown out on the street unless...." ploy. I'd be beyond amazed if it came to be. Somehow they always find a way at the 11th hour.

Here in Mass the media warned that "Thousands will die!!" if we enacted a Prop 2 1/2 tax measure. We did. No one died as a result.
Old 05-09-2018, 09:29 PM   #4

Yea, it is usually "for the children!" but occasionally "throw granny off the cliff".

"All models are wrong, some are useful." - George Box
ďThere is always a well-known solution to every human problem: neat, plausible, and wrong.Ē - H.L. Mencken
USGrant1962 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2018, 10:07 PM   #5
Give me a forum ...

Odds are you'll be dead in 6 months in the nursing home.
RobbieB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2018, 10:25 PM   #6
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by marko View Post
Saw this on the evening news tonight.

IMO, another "Grandma's gonna get thrown out on the street unless...." ploy. I'd be beyond amazed if it came to be. Somehow they always find a way at the 11th hour.

Here in Mass the media warned that "Thousands will die!!" if we enacted a Prop 2 1/2 tax measure. We did. No one died as a result.
You actually do not know.... someone might have died because of it....

Still, does not mean it is not good gvmt policy.... some people put too high a price on a life....
Texas Proud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2018, 11:44 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texas Proud View Post

Still, does not mean it is not good gvmt policy.... some people put too high a price on a life....
So Grandma needed killing anyway? Clint
Scrapr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2018, 05:57 AM   #8
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texas Proud View Post
True, I don't know but the fact is nothing really changed. The initiative was about limiting property tax increases, not Armageddon.

But the scare tactic, as they said at the time was: "life as we know it will end". They actually said that on TV!

Life went on just fine after the initiative passed; Boston never turned into Calcutta after all.
Old 05-10-2018, 06:18 AM   #9

Not a problem here in Louisiana since we don't have any cliffs....
Old 05-10-2018, 08:30 AM   #10
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by marko View Post
True, I don't know but the fact is nothing really changed. The initiative was about limiting property tax increases, not Armageddon.

But the scare tactic, as they said at the time was: "life as we know it will end". They actually said that on TV!

Life went on just fine after the initiative passed; Boston never turned into Calcutta after all.

Yes, politics on both sides have gotten way out of hand on what will happen when they try and present their side to the public... I have grown weary that anything that is passed will hurt the children one way or another... either killing them or putting an undue debt burden on them...
Texas Proud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2018, 09:18 AM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by joeea View Post
+1
Here, the expats refer to it as Lousy-ana!
NYEXPAT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2018, 11:25 AM   #12
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by joeea View Post
Old 05-10-2018, 11:39 AM   #13
Give me a forum ...

We had to move our little auntie from assisted living where she just watched Fox News 24 hours a day. Auntie was in a very large full nursing home--285 beds.

Fortunately medium.size southern cities' nursing facilities cost far less than in major cities. And the cost of her care was far less than her investment income.

Go to visit during lunchtime, and finding auntie was.difficult. Virtually every person there was in a wheelchair, and they all had white hair--and looked alike.

But she was happier there than in previous.years, even though she had lost her spark. We never felt guilty placing her there, even though she told everyone her nephews kidnapped her and moved her back to her home town.

I do feel for families that don't have the financial resources to take care of loved ones without going into the negative on assets. Fortunately, most are just in such care.facilities 2 or 2 1/2 years. Auntie was 3 months shy of 100 years old when she peacefully left us.
Bamaman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2018, 11:47 AM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bamaman View Post
We had to move our little auntie from assisted living where she just watched Fox News 24 hours a day. Auntie was in a very large full nursing home--285 beds.

Fortunately medium.size southern cities' nursing facilities cost far less than in major cities. And the cost of her care was far less than her investment income.

Go to visit during lunchtime, and finding auntie was.difficult. Virtually every person there was in a wheelchair, and they all had white hair--and looked alike.

But she was happier there than in previous.years, even though she had lost her spark. We never felt guilty placing her there, even though she told everyone her nephews kidnapped her and moved her back to her home town.

I do feel for families that don't have the financial resources to take care of loved ones without going into the negative on assets. Fortunately, most are just in such care.facilities 2 or 2 1/2 years. Auntie was 3 months shy of 100 years old when she peacefully left us.
The article states that if this goes through, many nursing homes will have to shut down, as so many patients are on Medicaid. Implied is there are too many spots for the number of self-pay occupants and the number of beds will have to shrink substantially.
Another Reader is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2018, 10:16 AM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by Another Reader View Post
The article states that if this goes through, many nursing homes will have to shut down, as so many patients are on Medicaid. Implied is there are too many spots for the number of self-pay occupants and the number of beds will have to shrink substantially.

Nursing homes have already been shutting down due to inability to make money. There are many contributing factors. Medicareís bundled payments, ACOís, and advances in technology which enable people to stay at home or stay in assisted living instead of having to move into a nursing home have all resulted in declining reimbursement from insurers. However most states havenít changed minimum staffing requirements and other regulations that drive the high cost structure of a nursing home.

This is one reason we donít have LTC insurance. Iím not sure todayís nursing homes will even exist 20 years from now. No business whose revenue is declining but cost structure is fixed can survive in the long run. Somethingís gotta give.
Scuba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2018, 04:11 PM   #16

My mom apparently told her friend that she 'needed a plan' in case she had to go to an assisted living facility before she fell and broke her pelvis. I did not know this. Executing her plan began while she had advanced dementia, a broken pelvis, A-Fib, and some other issues. It turned out the plan was to stop eating. She lasted 7 weeks, 2 of which were in the hospital, 3 in rehab, and 2 in the assisted living facility.
HI Bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2018, 12:12 AM   #17

The article states that there are 70 million on Medicaid; and that Medicaid eligibility was expanded under Obama. I don't recall seeing the elderly on the side of the road before Obama, so how / where did their care from then?

Anyway seems to me to be a lot of political gamesmanship. Nothing new there.

I do not have a plan to have Medicaid pay for my nursing home care. Going into a nursing home is not on my bucket list, I'd rather be at home, although I cannot predict the future.
Old 05-12-2018, 06:03 AM   #18
gone traveling

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarieIG View Post
I do not have a plan to have Medicaid pay for my nursing home care. Going into a nursing home is not on my bucket list, I'd rather be at home, although I cannot predict the future.
You think that's a bucket list item for some folks? Don't you expect almost everyone would rather be at home?

http://www.nola.com/politics/index.s...ce_budget.html
The drama continues.

"Louisiana is facing such difficult budget choices because over a billion dollars worth of state taxes are expiring June 30.

But the House has also struggled to pass any tax bills that would help Louisiana avoid those deeper budget cuts. House members haven't been able to agree on what taxes -- if any -- should be approved to replace the ones that are expiring."

Seems like there's a hint in there somewhere...
joeea is offline   Reply With Quote