your favorite pharmacy in retirement?

albireo13

Full time employment: Posting here.
Now that I am retired I am considering switching my pharmacy. I have been using CVS for many years but, the closest one isn't that convenient anymore.

Also, I have heard of better senior discounts from other pharmacies. I am considering Rite-Aid or Walgreens.

With senior discounts and Medicare coverage on meds in mind, what have folks settled on and like?

Thx

I used Sam's Club when I was on a standard BCBS policy, when I went on Medicare and got a Humana/Walmart Part D, I switched to Walmart.
Sam's was a 2 minute drive (or an easy walk) Walmart is 6 minutes. (a 36 minute walk, taking the scenic route)

Do not take this the wrong way. Rite-aids premium performing assets were recently purchased by Walgreens-boots corporation. This avoided (rite-aids) bankruptcy. CVS is USAs largest drug distribution behemoth.(afaik)

CVS is in other business aspects of the HCare sector, not just Pharma, or the high profit margined whatnot it sells.
Walgreens as mentioned purchased a large European shoe operation not 3 yrs back diversifying its asset base and income streams like CVS, but in another sector.

Thats my understanding anyway, that to me suggests avoiding Rite-aid.
I've heard pharmacists are sooner than later,.. to be automated.
I suspect both CVS & Walgreens are very similar options nationally.
Good luck & Best wishes....

Considerations for a pharmacy for me are proximity and hours. Right now I'm with Publix. I'd probably go to Costco but that's more of a PITA to in and out.

When you really need one.. like, you've left the dentist with a scrip in your hand after having a root canal... you need one that's close and reliable.

Prefer the little small town "mom and pop" pharmacy (20 miles away) which happens to be the closest to where we live... They know us and greet us by name when we walk in, and they have a knowledgeable and competent staff. Unfortunately, our drug insurance (Express Scrips) makes it's impossible (well difficult) to use them for any long term prescriptions unless we want to pay full price and not use the insurance... Every year Express Scripts makes things more difficult. There should be law(s) against some of the things they pull which I won't go into here. And yes, I do plan to try another prescription drug provider as soon as the DW goes on Medicare...

Last edited:
Whatever mail order service where my insurer tells me I can get a 90-day supply for the same copay as a 30-day supply at a brick-and-mortar pharmacy. On the rare occasion I need something other than my usual daily pills I usually go to Kroger where I get fuel points. Since I pay the same copays wherever I shop, it doesn't really matter to me other than CC reward points or fuel points.

We still use CVS mostly, but we rarely need prescriptions filled...the discounts we’ve gotten have been outstanding, better than expected.

Local RiteAid for years, now have Kaiser, so do their mail order for RXs.
Still use Rite Aid for OTC and other stuff.

The idea of having one pharmacy is foreign to me. I look on GoodRx and use the pharmacy with the best price. I'm not typical, though, in that since I have HDHI with few expenses, it's usually cheaper that way than to engage the price negotiated by the insurance company.

My favorite pharmacy is the one who will change the generic pharmaceutical company I get my meds from. Which happens to be Walgreens. Believe me, there is a difference in quality.

I've called big pharma companies and asked about their ingredients and where they are located. They actually answer the phone and are friendly and talk to me about the medicines. Walgreens switches pharma companies every so often and I reject the med until I can get it from the pharma co I trust. For the most part, there are so many Walgreens, they are able to switch with another Walgreens to get my preferred generic.

We have all of those mentioned and then some within 5 miles of our home (Except Costco). We are not married to any of them. We use the ones that offer a selection of no cost drugs that I use regularly and accept our Part D, or should I say our Part D accepts them as preferred. This can change annually, no biggie. So far we only would have to pay for one out of 4 drugs I regular take (Statin and HBP Meds) and that is a no charge Tier one with my $7.30 pm Part D.

Used to be $4 drugs at Walmart but Publix has no cost BP Meds so I switched.

My preferred pharmacy is CVS because not only is it next to the nearby supermarket I do most of my food shopping but is the one my insurance company has its arrangement with. I had switched to them in 2016 after my ordeal with using Express Scripts and their crummy mail delivery service.

My most expensive drug actually costs me less OOP than what the insurance company says I should be paying for it, nearly $25 a month less. And CVS has a deal with a maker of diabetic test strips to sell them at a nice discount, as the cost of them has been rising sharply elsewhere including on Amazon.

Use Walgreens for convenience - a mile walk when I want & drive past continuously. Two Kroger 4-5 miles. Also CVS. Two Walmart 8 miles. Costco 10 miles. Mom & Pop near Walgreens went out of business a year ago. We don't have any expensive prescriptions. Attitude might change if we did.

Whatever is the closest to pick up my one prescription every 90 days. It's a contest between Walmart and Walgreens (equally distanced from me).

We use our provider's mail order service as that's the only way we can get 90 day supplies. An emergency situation like DH's need for blood thinner, or antibiotics and such, we go to our local pharmacy and get charged $$$ then switch to mail order if meds are needed for longer term. DH's blood thinner cost $300+ for one month's supply and $140 for a 90 day supply thru the provider's mail order.

Several mentioned Express Scripts which I'm on for my first year of Medicare Part D. Can't wait to switch to someone else next year even if they are more expensive...tired of their crap!!!

We use Walgreen's, as it is connected to my DGF's plan. Good service too. We also have a CVS near us.

We've gone to CVS for flu and shingles vaccines, but we don't have any prescriptions. If we did, we'd probably also have to go there, as I think it is required by our health insurance plan. In any event, it's convenient - less than a mile from our house.

My insurance uses Express Scripts as its linked online pharmacy. So I use them for my cheaper 90-day supply of maintenance drugs. Unlike a couple of others above who mentioned problems with them, I have had no issues that weren’t caused by my own doctor’s office. CVS is the insurance company’s preferred retail pharmacy, so I use them. It’s as close to me as any others. I’ve had no issues with them either.

I’m starting year 3 with this approach.

We used the big name pharmacies in the past--CVS, Walmart, Walgreens etc. But when we could not find our second Shingrix vaccine (we got the first shot at Walgreens but they never had the second one for us) we contacted a local mom and pop pharmacy who saved us a Shingrix vaccine when they got a delivery. Since then that is the pharmacy we use. They are so helpful--they bring our prescriptions to the car. They do vaccinations curbside. One time when we both had the flu they delivered to our house. If they don't have something we need they call all over town to find it for us. They work to lower our prices--they look on Good Rx etc to find us a cheaper price. They helped us figure out the best Medicare Part D for us. They are genuinely good people who has the customer's best interest at heart. I am grateful for my pharmacy.

Walgreens for me. The pharmacists will happily give advice on everything from vitamin supplements to flu shots.

We have a Walgreen's just around the corner. I have them "trained" to not call me on the phone no matter what. I order online and then pick up at the drive through the next time I am out and about. I am perfectly happy with them.

At my previous home (before 2015 when I bought my present home), I was closer to a CVS so I went to them. I was not happy with them, but my dissatisfaction probably was due to the local store and not the chain. Still, I would not touch them with a 10-foot pole.

My medications are all generics so price is really not a big issue.

I go to Kroger for convenience. I try to remember to check each year that they are in the top tier or whatever it is from my insurance company, and they always are. I always have a reason to go to the grocery store, and if there's a big line when I get there, I'll do my shopping and then pick up my prescription.

Let's see. Within a 5 minute drive we have 2 Walgreens, 2 CVS, Walmart, Sam's club, plus a few others.

But, you need to look at your insurance and see what they have for preferred pharmacies. I get my generic BP and cholesterol meds by mail from CVS/Caremark. No co-pay for a 90 day supply.

But Walmart is the closest preferred pharmacy for the "one of" things. Have not used them yet (new to Medicare part D), but that is what I have given my doctors for future use.

Back
Top Bottom