Join Early Retirement Today

401k investment strategy
Old 01-26-2021, 02:15 PM   #1
Recycles dryer sheets

401k investment strategy

I want to keep this simple. Is it better to invest my 401k dollars in target date fund or S&P? I am 39 and have no exposure to bonds today. Everything else is in IRAs and invested aggressively in VTI, ARKK and FTEC. I have a 16 year time horizon. My risk tolerance is high for now.
ATXFIRE2034 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-26-2021, 03:07 PM   #2
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Given your timeframe and high risk tolerance, I would go S&P at 100%. As personal example, i was 100% equities in my 401k/403b accounts until about 50 years age, then slightly more conservative to around 85/15. My current 70/30 A is still pretty high compared to many, although recent market results I am around 80/20 currently.

Just keep doing the pay yourself first and investing in the 401k. Ignore volatility, just keep putting money in each paycheck.

You can't spend yourself to prosperity.

Semi-Retired 7/1/16: working part-time (60%) for now [4/24/17 changed to 80%]
Retired Aug 2, 2017; age 53
38Chevy454 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2021, 06:39 PM   #3
Confused about dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by 38Chevy454 View Post
Given your timeframe and high risk tolerance, I would go S&P at 100%. As personal example, i was 100% equities in my 401k/403b accounts until about 50 years age, then slightly more conservative to around 85/15. My current 70/30 A is still pretty high compared to many, although recent market results I am around 80/20 currently.

Just keep doing the pay yourself first and investing in the 401k. Ignore volatility, just keep putting money in each paycheck.
when you say 100% equities...what do you mean? are you in a index fun like VTSAX? sorry for the newbie questions.
crazyfire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2021, 08:30 PM   #4
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by crazyfire View Post
when you say 100% equities...what do you mean? are you in a index fun like VTSAX? sorry for the newbie questions.
That would be no investment portfolio money in bonds, cash or other cash-like instruments (like CD's). Essentially all stocks or similar.

As for the OP, S&P 500 sounds more to your taste unless you want to be even more conservative. Hopefully both choices would be index funds with low expenses. No other interesting funds to choose from?
Animorph is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2021, 08:44 PM   #5
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by Animorph View Post
That would be no investment portfolio money in bonds, cash or other cash-like instruments (like CD's). Essentially all stocks or similar.

As for the OP, S&P 500 sounds more to your taste unless you want to be even more conservative. Hopefully both choices would be index funds with low expenses. No other interesting funds to choose from?

Not many good options to choose from unfortunately. I guess the main reason I’m even debating it is primarily because of how aggressive my other investments are. I’m comfortable with high risk given my time horizon but I do have this nagging feeling that is starting to creep in telling me to be a little more conservative. I’m feeling indecisive about it honestly.
Old 02-02-2021, 10:01 AM   #6
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Location: Spending the Kids Inheritance and living in Chicago
Quote:
Originally Posted by ATXFIRE2034 View Post
Not many good options to choose from unfortunately. I guess the main reason I’m even debating it is primarily because of how aggressive my other investments are. I’m comfortable with high risk given my time horizon but I do have this nagging feeling that is starting to creep in telling me to be a little more conservative. I’m feeling indecisive about it honestly.
If you are slightly thinking of being conservative, then look to see how the target date funds are composed. What percentage are allocated to bonds.

Then pick one (does not have to be your retirement date) that is acceptable to you. Given your long investment time, I'd only want 10->20% Bonds in my 401K target date fund.
As the years go on, the fund will increase the percentage of Bonds.
Old 02-02-2021, 10:27 AM   #7
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sunset View Post
If you are slightly thinking of being conservative, then look to see how the target date funds are composed. What percentage are allocated to bonds.

Then pick one (does not have to be your retirement date) that is acceptable to you. Given your long investment time, I'd only want 10->20% Bonds in my 401K target date fund.
As the years go on, the fund will increase the percentage of Bonds.

I would probably go with the SSGA 2045 fund @ 11.26% bonds. The net expense ratio is .06% for the target date fund versus .01% for the S&P. Decisions, decisions....