Join Early Retirement Today

Old 07-19-2021, 01:08 PM   #21
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by MichealKnight View Post
...had I just IGNORED the selloffs and crash every single time - I'd have much more money today.

You really do know the right answer. Self control is another story.

I've stayed put for the past 30 years and just kept putting more in every paycheck.
SALTedOut is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-19-2021, 01:12 PM   #22
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Holding. If it continues to drop enough (I.e. 20-ish %) over the next week or 2 I might make a few adjustments by doing a bit of rebalancing.
Old 07-19-2021, 01:20 PM   #23
Recycles dryer sheets

Scuba diving with the family. I’ve got two year’s living expenses in cash and a paid off house, As for stocks, as long as I don’t sell, nothing is lost. 😎
CSdot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2021, 01:44 PM   #24
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Out of Steam View Post
Perhaps Dow 36,000 won't happen in this market cycle either.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dow_36,000
We could combine this article with the Business Week 1979 article claiming "The Death of Equities"
Old 07-19-2021, 01:55 PM   #25
Administrator

I hit the “new posts” button. At the top of the list are two threads. One is “market at all time high”, followed by this thread, “Dow is down 900”. Got to choose here, folks.

Actually, when I saw W2R post “whee” last week knew this was gonna happen.
MichaelB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2021, 02:12 PM   #26
Give me a forum ...

Okay, time to confess "market timing". I had been thinking about adding to one of the ETFs I own. Seeing what the market was doing I figured what the heck and bought more shares just before the close. It is money for my heirs.

Just checked, it was a market order, and the closing price was 0.25% higher than my purchase price. I'M A GENIUS!
Old 07-19-2021, 02:17 PM   #27
Full time employment: Posting here.

I try not to touch much, but... i did sell a little a week or two ago (cruise line, and a tiny portion of a REIT that had doubled) and bought a little of two dividend paying stock today with free cash. I am working on accumulating another $450 a month in passive income cash flow mostly in things I sold off during the prior market meltdown re COVID. I'm still working on buying major indexes but the yields are more of a Meh for a prior dividend income investor. Purchases before this were major index though.
Ready-4-ER-at-14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2021, 02:40 PM   #28

OP Michael, just wait it out. If you dont need the money right now, all selling will accomplish is locking in your losses (or reduced gains). It may even go down more, but it will come back up. I don't have a crystal ball with enough clarity to know when, how much, or why. But do have enough clarity to know that big drops are often followed immediately by big gains. So ride the wave......

You can't spend yourself to prosperity.

Semi-Retired 7/1/16: working part-time (60%) for now [4/24/17 changed to 80%]
Retired Aug 2, 2017; age 53
38Chevy454 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2021, 02:51 PM   #29

I update our tracker only on up days. I don't even look on down days. [emoji857]
Old 07-19-2021, 03:04 PM   #30
Give me a forum ...

The market was down today? Oh darn. I was supposed to increase my stock allocation by 1%. Maybe I’ll buy into an etf early tomorrow but I expect market will bounce up sharply at the open.
Old 07-19-2021, 03:06 PM   #31

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dtail View Post
We could combine this article with the Business Week 1979 article claiming "The Death of Equities"
They really are historical bookends. Of course, 1979 was near the bottom of what would be a 25 year market trough in inflation-adjusted terms.
Out of Steam is offline   Reply With Quote
Too funny - - Kramer
Old 07-19-2021, 04:31 PM   #32
Full time employment: Posting here.

Too funny - - Kramer

Ok I know it's polarizing - - I'm not touting Kramer, I'm not dumping on Kramer.

Tonight he's really sticking it to the "Reddit" and "meme" people and using words meant to really get to them.

He said "Redditers..... you better get a boomer to help you or a trust fund....you're gonna need both".

I'm sorry, but if I was a smoker - I'd need a cigarette right about now
MichealKnight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2021, 04:40 PM   #33
Recycles dryer sheets

I enjoy (Jim) Cramer, but he too gets caught up in the micro-analysis of hourly moves in prices to create frame and headlines. We might be hitting a flat spot, but lots of reasons to “BUY, BUY, BUY!”.
WhenIsItTime is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2021, 04:44 PM   #34
Moderator Emeritus

I go and find the animated "Buy The Dip" video on U tube and watch it.

Then I Buy The Dip!

(getting back to 25% equities)
Old 07-19-2021, 05:55 PM   #35
Give me a forum ...

I do track what the market does, starting with how the futures are going before the open. I learned long ago, though, that the good stuff recovers. That certainly proved true early last year.

So, I periodically track the IRRs of each individual investment (easy with a spreadsheet I created and downloads form the brokerages), periodically weed out underperformers that I think won't recover, and sit tight when things get bad. I also keep up with financial news so I have an idea what's behind market movements. Haven't looked at today's paper losses yet.
athena53 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2021, 06:16 PM   #36
Moderator Emeritus

I haven’t sold any equities this millennium. This hiccup won’t drive me to sell anything.
Ronstar is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2021, 06:21 PM   #37
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by athena53 View Post
I also keep up with financial news so I have an idea what's behind market movements.
I'm glad someone gets an idea of what's behind market moves from the financial news.... Even if I just watch one channel, after a few hours I have several opinions to choose from. I've finally figured out if these guys (and gals) really knew what they were taking about, they wouldn't be working for a living. Too much bias, politics, personal opinions, etc.... Still it's better than nothing so I consider what they say and try to make my own sense out of it...
Old 07-19-2021, 06:40 PM   #38
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by MichaelB View Post
I hit the “new posts” button. At the top of the list are two threads. One is “market at all time high”, followed by this thread, “Dow is down 900”. Got to choose here, folks.

Actually, when I saw W2R post “whee” last week knew this was gonna happen.
+1

I bought puts when she posted that.
MRG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2021, 06:49 PM   #39
Moderator Emeritus

Well, somebody's got to stir things up now and then, to keep you guys entertained.

Don't worry, it will all be fine. What goes up must come down, and vice versa. On days like this it seems to work out best to do the "hold" part of buy and hold. So, as always I am doing nothing.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Capture.JPG (21.0 KB, 157 views)

Happily retired since 2009, at age 61. Best years of my life by far!
W2R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2021, 06:51 PM   #40
Give me a forum ...

Hardly noticed til it was mentioned on the evening news.

There once was a time a drop of over 700 pts in a day might be the top story. But in today's world, maybe story number 3 or 4 .