7-19 (-900) points: Holding? Selling? Buying?

Okay, time to confess "market timing". I had been thinking about adding to one of the ETFs I own. Seeing what the market was doing I figured what the heck and bought more shares just before the close. It is money for my heirs. :)

Just checked, it was a market order, and the closing price was 0.25% higher than my purchase price. I'M A GENIUS! :LOL::LOL::LOL:

I try not to touch much, but... i did sell a little a week or two ago (cruise line, and a tiny portion of a REIT that had doubled) and bought a little of two dividend paying stock today with free cash. I am working on accumulating another $450 a month in passive income cash flow mostly in things I sold off during the prior market meltdown re COVID. I'm still working on buying major indexes but the yields are more of a Meh for a prior dividend income investor. Purchases before this were major index though.

OP Michael, just wait it out. If you dont need the money right now, all selling will accomplish is locking in your losses (or reduced gains). It may even go down more, but it will come back up. I don't have a crystal ball with enough clarity to know when, how much, or why. But do have enough clarity to know that big drops are often followed immediately by big gains. So ride the wave......

I update our tracker only on up days. I don't even look on down days. [emoji857]

The market was down today? Oh darn. I was supposed to increase my stock allocation by 1%. Maybe I’ll buy into an etf early tomorrow but I expect market will bounce up sharply at the open.

We could combine this article with the Business Week 1979 article claiming "The Death of Equities"
They really are historical bookends. Of course, 1979 was near the bottom of what would be a 25 year market trough in inflation-adjusted terms.

Too funny - - Kramer

Ok I know it's polarizing - - I'm not touting Kramer, I'm not dumping on Kramer.

Tonight he's really sticking it to the "Reddit" and "meme" people and using words meant to really get to them.

He said "Redditers..... you better get a boomer to help you or a trust fund....you're gonna need both".

I'm sorry, but if I was a smoker - I'd need a cigarette right about now

I enjoy (Jim) Cramer, but he too gets caught up in the micro-analysis of hourly moves in prices to create frame and headlines. We might be hitting a flat spot, but lots of reasons to “BUY, BUY, BUY!”.

I go and find the animated "Buy The Dip" video on U tube and watch it.

Then I Buy The Dip! :cool:

(getting back to 25% equities)

I do track what the market does, starting with how the futures are going before the open. I learned long ago, though, that the good stuff recovers. That certainly proved true early last year.

So, I periodically track the IRRs of each individual investment (easy with a spreadsheet I created and downloads form the brokerages), periodically weed out underperformers that I think won't recover, and sit tight when things get bad. I also keep up with financial news so I have an idea what's behind market movements. Haven't looked at today's paper losses yet.

I also keep up with financial news so I have an idea what's behind market movements.
I'm glad someone gets an idea of what's behind market moves from the financial news.... Even if I just watch one channel, after a few hours I have several opinions to choose from. I've finally figured out if these guys (and gals) really knew what they were taking about, they wouldn't be working for a living. Too much bias, politics, personal opinions, etc.... Still it's better than nothing so I consider what they say and try to make my own sense out of it...

I hit the “new posts” button. At the top of the list are two threads. One is “market at all time high”, followed by this thread, “Dow is down 900”. Got to choose here, folks. :)

Actually, when I saw W2R post “whee” last week knew this was gonna happen.

+1

I bought puts when she posted that.

Well, somebody's got to stir things up now and then, to keep you guys entertained. :D

Don't worry, it will all be fine. What goes up must come down, and vice versa. On days like this it seems to work out best to do the "hold" part of buy and hold. So, as always I am doing nothing.

Attachments

• Capture.JPG
    Capture.JPG
    21 KB · Views: 157
Hardly noticed til it was mentioned on the evening news.

There once was a time a drop of over 700 pts in a day might be the top story. But in today's world, maybe story number 3 or 4 :popcorn:.

Wasn't even that big of a selloff. Relax, we are due for a 5-10 percent correction.

I'm keeping powder dry for now but always ready for opportunities.

Admittedly in the last 20 years, the little dabbling I did with stocks - I always SOLD during a selloff out of fear and when I look back, had I just IGNORED the selloffs and crash every single time - I'd have much more money today...

Curious, what are y'all doing today? Buying? Selling? Just leaving things put?
Why would you even ask? You already answered your question with experience.

+538.69 already today.

Bought on Friday, bought more today and will probably buy again tomorrow.
Well I didn't buy again today (Tuesday) as planned... Instead, I just sold everything I bought on Friday and Monday...Nice profit for two days... I'll be looking for the next good dip and then hopefully a quick bounce again.... And who said on line gambling is illegal?

Last edited:
Monday's down was not even that bad. I did notice as I check my accounts almost every day. But, I didn't do anything.

Back
Top Bottom