Join Early Retirement Today

aapl
Old 03-05-2009, 11:44 AM   #1
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

aapl

new Mac Pro's and iMac's came out yesterday and even on the apple forums people are complaining. iPhone and IPod touch are great but i think everything else is overpriced and we've seen the best days of the stock. it seems that Apple even raised prices with the new hardware
al_bundy is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-05-2009, 12:14 PM   #2
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by al_bundy View Post
new Mac Pro's and iMac's came out yesterday and even on the apple forums people are complaining. iPhone and IPod touch are great but i think everything else is overpriced and we've seen the best days of the stock. it seems that Apple even raised prices with the new hardware
That may be true but MacBooks seem to continue on as fashion accessories; a latte with your Apple and you can sit at a prominent spot at the coffee shop. In my neighborhood the Mac does not have to be current, there's no pressure to buy the latest style. Yeah, sell AAPL? Wish I owned some stock in it.

The updates are expensive but even I am thinking of switching to some '09 updates, and I'm usually very cheap about these things. Interesting that they've made a deal with Amazon to add Kindle items to iPhone applications. I'm curious to see how that goes.
CuppaJoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2009, 01:58 PM   #3

in the last week the market share numbers came out for computers and Apple lost share in the 4th quarter of 2008. you can argue that everyone knew that they were going to refresh the line, so when the 1Q and the 2Q numbers come out we'll see
Old 03-05-2009, 02:08 PM   #4
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by al_bundy View Post
People on those forums always complain. They want 8 core 999GHz CPUS with 96GB Ram and a 30" screen for $200

But I basically agree with you, I think they should be able to slide the prices down a bit w/o getting into price war type territory.

But, if their sales hang in there, their feeling is "why not"? Once you lower prices, it's tough to raise them. Actually aapl is very stealthy in that regard. Watch their "refurbs" page - I suspect they use that to move old inventory, rather than lower prominent sticker prices. Savvy shoppers know to look there.

I will also be watching this Q sales/profit numbers closely. Have no opinion on the stock, I own some, and sell OTM CCs on it. It's been a mixed bag for me the past few years.

-ERD50
ERD50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2009, 09:12 PM   #5
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by CuppaJoe View Post
Interesting that they've made a deal with Amazon to add Kindle items to iPhone applications. I'm curious to see how that goes.
Apple did not make any special deal with Amazon, to my knowledge. Amazon merely wrote an Iphone application (like anyone can) that is compatible with their book downloading service.

By the way, you can download a free book reader (e.g., Stanza) for the Iphone and ipod touch and download hundreds if not thousands of fantastic books for free, and do what you wish with them since they are out of copyright, too. I recommend that approach, though you will miss out on the latest slasher novel, etc.
Grep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2009, 09:35 PM   #6
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by CuppaJoe View Post
Interesting that they've made a deal with Amazon to add Kindle items to iPhone applications. I'm curious to see how that goes.
I downloaded the Amazon Kindle iphone app yesterday. I already downloaded a few books on it and it works great. Unlike other book reading apps on the iphone, Amazon offers a really good choice of books IMO and I'll be making good use of this app.
FIREd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2009, 06:32 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by ERD50 View Post
People on those forums always complain. They want 8 core 999GHz CPUS with 96GB Ram and a 30" screen for $200

But I basically agree with you, I think they should be able to slide the prices down a bit w/o getting into price war type territory.

But, if their sales hang in there, their feeling is "why not"? Once you lower prices, it's tough to raise them. Actually aapl is very stealthy in that regard. Watch their "refurbs" page - I suspect they use that to move old inventory, rather than lower prominent sticker prices. Savvy shoppers know to look there.

I will also be watching this Q sales/profit numbers closely. Have no opinion on the stock, I own some, and sell OTM CCs on it. It's been a mixed bag for me the past few years.

-ERD50
the new Mac Pro's are priced OK and now aimed at business users. the iMac's are overpriced by a few hundred $$$.
Old 03-06-2009, 07:46 AM   #8
Moderator Emeritus

I usually don’t post in the Stock Picking category but since Al Bundy started this with an observation, I’ll add a few more. Apple has great product placement in movies, TV, etc. Local news cameramen show the anchor’s laptop logo, etc. Apple may have the only TV ads that don’t inspire me to dive for the mute button. For me, a negative is that they don’t get out the word about what their products can do; you have to either be a techie, already into Apple products, etc. I’m a newbie Apple laptop user, bought three manuals, the one put out by Apple itself is the least user-friendly; I expect to buy more manuals. OTOH, one of the reasons I went with Apple is that they are easy to set up right out of the box; even a non-techie like me could do that without hiring a tech guy like we did at work.

I think Apple has great potential to increase its share of the market.
CuppaJoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2009, 08:32 AM   #9

i think the one thing killing PC's in the usability department is all the crapware that is pre-installed and that you can't get rid off and keeps on flashing to buy me. i'm a techie and reinstall the OS on my PC when i first open the box, but for the regular person it's insane.
Old 03-06-2009, 08:41 AM   #10
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
and we've seen the best days of the stock
Just keep in mind that AAPL has about $30 per share in cash and no debt, so when you are evaluating it at $85 you're paying more like $55 for the business . . . which is about 10x earnings.

I have no position in AAPL . . .
terminator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2009, 10:03 AM   #11

this has been microsoft's story for almost the last 10 years, where is the stock now?

stock prices go up on earnings growth. for a real good growth story you need around 20% a year averaged over the last few years

i love the iphone and may buy a second one soon but it's going to be at the expense of replacing my ancient 40GB black and white ipod
Old 03-24-2009, 07:24 PM   #12

might have to eat my words, watching it and it might be a winner 2 bull markets in a row