Join Early Retirement Today

AAPL AMZN MSFT battle of the market caps
Old 12-03-2018, 01:28 PM   #1
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

AAPL AMZN MSFT battle of the market caps

With Apples recent (partial) fall from grace, we now have a three way battle for market cap supremacy (in the United States). For fun, I took my google tracking spreadsheet I use for my holdings and made a mini version which shows each of the stocks and their market caps (updated in real time).

Here's a link for those who want to to play:
https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets...it?usp=sharing

Some notes:
1) I made this pretty simple, no graphics or other things (my real tracking spreadsheet has 15-20 tabs with various pivots and other things).
2) The number of shares is grabbed from an article today (along with the as of date). Since these companies (especially Apple) have been doing share repurchases, this information will soon be out of date. If anyone out there has a source of updated share count data that can be automated...let me know.
copyright1997reloaded is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-03-2018, 02:33 PM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by copyright1997reloaded View Post
With Apples recent (partial) fall from grace, we now have a three way battle for market cap supremacy (in the United States). For fun, I took my google tracking spreadsheet I use for my holdings and made a mini version which shows each of the stocks and their market caps (updated in real time).

Here's a link for those who want to to play:
https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets...it?usp=sharing

Some notes:
1) I made this pretty simple, no graphics or other things (my real tracking spreadsheet has 15-20 tabs with various pivots and other things).
2) The number of shares is grabbed from an article today (along with the as of date). Since these companies (especially Apple) have been doing share repurchases, this information will soon be out of date. If anyone out there has a source of updated share count data that can be automated...let me know.

Hard to believe it took roughly ~118 years from the first time US Steel bonded out to $1 Billion USD in the 1900s

I doubt I will be alive to see the $1 Quadrillion Market cap, but maybe so this significance although seemingly small might not be.
Old 12-03-2018, 05:10 PM   #3
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by copyright1997reloaded View Post
... we now have a three way battle for market cap supremacy ...
I have no idea why this would be important to anyone, even to the companies' principal shareholders.

But I have no idea why anyone would be interested in professional sports either.
OldShooter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2018, 05:52 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by OldShooter View Post
I have no idea why this would be important to anyone, even to the companies' principal shareholders.

But I have no idea why anyone would be interested in professional sports either.
Bragging rights?

Then again, as with most things - if it doesn't interest you, move on down the road.
Old 12-04-2018, 08:17 AM   #5

I added some conditional formatting on the market cap column (column J) and added a new column next to it showing the delta from the cap leader to the others. (Column K).

As of this moment, AMZN has the largest market cap.
Old 12-07-2018, 02:22 PM   #6

Apple, Microsoft, and Amazon combined are now $600 Billion+ off of their peak values.