Join Early Retirement Today

AAPL stock - long term opinions
Old 06-11-2020, 03:01 PM   #1
Dryer sheet aficionado

AAPL stock - long term opinions

Admittedly, I am late to the party on Apple, I only recently started buying shares...I think I'm around $310 per share.

There seems to be many AAPL investors on this board hence I'm asking....

Do you feel that AAPL is still a growth stock?

Also, I know there's no crystal balls but certainly, if one invests, one has some sort of expectation. How do you see Apple shares over the next 5 years or so? Up, down? Anemic?

Thanks

MichealKnight is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-11-2020, 03:47 PM   #2
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Apple is dead.
Google it.

davebarnes is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2020, 04:37 PM   #3
Recycles dryer sheets

Apple should be fine long term but the stock is expensive.
JustVisitingThisPlanet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2020, 05:13 PM   #4
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

I would not buy here but I do own it and have for long-term.

It's a fine company but it is not cheap, IMHO.
Montecfo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2020, 01:48 PM   #5
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Send a message via Skype™ to kcowan
Google has built their infrastructure to rival iTunes and iCloud so it is hard to see why new people would appreciate the price premium. In our case, we have 2x iPhones and 2x iPads so it is just easier since we would not upgrade all at once.

My first smart phone was a DIY Samsung and it was ugly. No way would DW have enjoyed it. Our friends have Android phones but he does all the work to keep them running. A friend had one and switched.

We are continuing to hold the stock to avoid a 2600% capital gain.
Old 06-12-2020, 02:52 PM   #6

I've been an Apple user since getting a MacSE in 1990. My only serious investing regret is not buying AAPL in the late 90's when the price was under $10. After talking about it for years and years, I finally bought when the price had dipped to just under $150. Not a major part of our portfolio, but certainly happy with the results!
MBAustin is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2020, 03:00 PM   #7

Very longtime Apple customer here. Bought an Apple ][+ in 1980 and went through several iterations of those machines, then a Mac Plus in 1987 and many, many iterations of Macs. In fact, many more than most people, because I w*rked for a few years for a minicorp that developed custom Mac software.

I loved the company and believed in it, so beginning in around 1988 I bought the stock every time it was battered to the ground and people were talking about how it had no future. Once it got up to an unreasonably high price (IMHO) I sold it and waited for the next crash of its stock price.

That method served me very well, many times. In hindsight, I should have just held on to it, but it's my nature to get nervous when sitting on huge unrealized gains. I need to sleep well at night, after all.
Old 06-12-2020, 03:42 PM   #8
Give me a forum ...

Never owned anything Apple except the stock. Bought it back in 2012 and still have 265 shares left. I had sold calls in on it back then and made some fast money. I'd sold some off after the 7:1 split and more off last year as it took off. Apple is my only remaining individual equity. As to the future I think it's going sideways for a while as the economy actually crashes and begins to recover. What the heck do I know?
MRG is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2020, 04:14 PM   #9
Recycles dryer sheets

Apple allowed me to retire. I bought it when it was $60. It then went up to $700, split 7 ways and is now $340 a share. I actually sold some of it recently even though in the current market it's one company that's worth holding on. My portfolio is up 10% for the year because of Apple. I see it going up to $500 in the not so distant future if they keep running the company the way they do. If it goes under $300 again - conceivable - it would be a buy imo.

There's nothing especially innovative about their products - this is not Steve Jobs' Apple - but everything just works right out of the box. Always has. They make their own hardware (including chips as of lately), wearables are selling like hot cakes, they have a tight grip on the software, installed customer base keeps spending on services and somehow iPhone, while perhaps not cool, still remains a status symbol - so does Apple watch. Apple TV+ is fine and if they land a genuine hit, it will become a serious player in the streaming market. They sit on a huge pile of cash, make small but smart acquisitions, sell bonds, buy back stock, increase dividends... what's not to like? It's truly a model of well run company.
tenant13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2020, 06:46 PM   #10
Recycles dryer sheets

Cash on hand: >$40 billion
Net profit margin: 19%
Operating margin: 22%

With numbers like these I am holding.
conversationalphrase is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2020, 07:59 PM   #11
Give me a forum ...

If it keeps going like this I think it’s going to hit $400 soon!
Old 06-23-2020, 08:09 PM   #12
Full time employment: Posting here.

I bought it in early '18, then sold it in Feb '20 for an 80% gain, due to my sense it was fully (over) valued, and concerns about Chinese demand/tariffs.

If it drops back on a market correction, I'll rebuy it.

I made 80% in two years, so I'm happy; it's a great company but highly valued. The shift to streaming services is a key (for me), but I'm not impressed with Apple TV; that was another part of selling.

If I owned more, I probably would have just sold half the position and held, as I've done with Microsoft (a 6 bagger for me; I bought towards the end of the Balmer era).
RobLJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2020, 09:07 AM   #13
Give me a forum ...

I've made some good profits on Apple over the years. I would only buy on big dips. As to their future, it will depend on if they can continue to innovate and differentiate themselves and also on the political situation with China. Apple still has significant manufacturing and customer base there that could be jeopardized in the future. They do have a very loyal customer base, including me.
Old 07-02-2020, 11:37 AM   #14
Full time employment: Posting here.

The next growth opportunity for Apple will apparently be in AR. Apple Glass is reportedly coming, though there’s disagreement about how soon. They’re incorporating LIDAR scanners in their newer devices that will also be used for AR applications. Unlike Google’s attempt at glasses, Apple’s will reportedly incorporate LIDAR, but not cameras, which should alleviate some of the privacy concerns people had about Google Glass.

I’m an Apple user, but wouldn’t call myself a fan-boy. A number of their products seemed laughable when I first heard about them: AirPods? Apple Watch? I wasn’t an early adopter of either, but they’re both superior products, and after using them it’s easy to understand why they’re driving so much revenue.

As a shareholder, I’m expecting (hoping?) these new AR devices will spawn further revenue growth.
Old 07-04-2020, 09:01 AM   #15
Dryer sheet aficionado

ProspectiveBum thanks for chiming in. Admittedly I'm a "get off my lawn" guy where it comes to social media and tech. I frankly despise the instagrams, facebooks, texting, smartphones, etc even though I also see the convenience brought by such.

AR - -do you really think people will want to put on glasses and be happy to pretend they are at a ballgame? I can't imagine it....but then again these people are so owned by tech - who knows, maybe its possible.
MichealKnight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2020, 09:10 AM   #16
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by MichealKnight
AR - -do you really think people will want to put on glasses and be happy to pretend they are at a ballgame? I can't imagine it....but then again these people are so owned by tech - who knows, maybe its possible.

That VR. AR would be while you’re at the baseball game looking at player 52 their name and stats appear as a text box above their head. Or in Europe the names of the shops are translated into English. Or the reviews of the restaurant are shown next to the name. Or the navigation path is displayed on the road.

pj.mask is offline   Reply With Quote