Join Early Retirement Today

AMC stock
Old 03-21-2020, 10:12 AM   #1
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

AMC stock

I am curious if anyone holds AMC entertainment Inc. stock.
I know like a lot of stocks it has been beaten down. I saw a video of the CEO of the stock say they have no revenue coming in due to the coronavirus resulting in the closures of its theatres.

So my questions are if anyone holds the stock, will you continue holding it? Or will you wait to see if they can get funding from the government to pay their bills? Mr. Adam Aron, President and CEO, was on CNBC recently and was asked if funding from the government was forthcoming for AMC and he drew a blank face, saying he no longer could hear the interviewer. AMC will likely try to restructure their fixed costs but it is unclear if they will be able to do so.

It looks bleak for this stock right now. How will they pay the rent ? How will they pay their bills? This stock could be a good opportunity or a death trap. I do not currently have a position in AMC but I am looking from afar. Any thoughts?

The first rule of compounding: Never interupt it unnecessarily. Charlie Munger
UnrealizedPotential is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-21-2020, 07:03 PM   #2
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Oh.......... entertainment. I was hoping Rambler was coming back.
travelover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2020, 07:23 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by travelover View Post
I must confess, that was the first thought I had as well.
HadEnuff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2020, 09:11 PM   #4
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by travelover View Post
More likely to be the Gremlin.
target2019 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2020, 07:17 AM   #5

My Javalin can beat your Rambler..if we’re going downhill.
Markola is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2020, 07:29 AM   #6
Give me a forum ...

Location: Spending the Kids Inheritance and living in Chicago
With 80" TV's and some even in 4K , plus streaming all you want for $12/mo.
I cannot believe theaters still exist.

The only advantage they have is to show a new movie first for about 1 or 2 months before it's generally available.
Personally I can shift my expectation and view "new" movies on my private giant screen without anyone getting in my way, and being able to pause the movie for bathroom/snack breaks.
Old 03-22-2020, 12:41 PM   #7
Full time employment: Posting here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by UnrealizedPotential View Post
I am curious if anyone holds AMC entertainment Inc. stock.
I know like a lot of stocks it has been beaten down. I saw a video of the CEO of the stock say they have no revenue coming in due to the coronavirus resulting in the closures of its theatres.

So my questions are if anyone holds the stock, will you continue holding it? Or will you wait to see if they can get funding from the government to pay their bills? Mr. Adam Aron, President and CEO, was on CNBC recently and was asked if funding from the government was forthcoming for AMC and he drew a blank face, saying he no longer could hear the interviewer. AMC will likely try to restructure their fixed costs but it is unclear if they will be able to do so.

It looks bleak for this stock right now. How will they pay the rent ? How will they pay their bills? This stock could be a good opportunity or a death trap. I do not currently have a position in AMC but I am looking from afar. Any thoughts?

I don't own it but if I did I would dump it.

Universal has eliminated their movie release window. So you can get a digital copy/rental the same day it comes out in theaters. Other movie producers will do the same. I'm sure WarnerMedia and Sony will at least. The only hold out might be Disney, but now that they have a new CEO, its harder to say.

IMHO, movie theaters are in permanent decline. Streaming is going to be the most important revenue source to the media companies and its just a different world now. Cord cutting is going to continue to increase. The only hold outs will be boomers that aren't comfortable changing (which is fine, that category matches my parents in this case). Millennials will completely ditch the old cable/movie theater model eventually. The younger generations will not even be a part of that older model. They like watching stuff on their phones and messing around with user generated content like TikTok and Instagram.

IMHO theaters will continue to decline in the same way that physical retail will continue to be replaced with online retail. IMHO movie theatre decline will be much faster.
ESRwannabe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2020, 12:56 PM   #8
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by ESRwannabe View Post
IMHO theaters will continue to decline in the same way that physical retail will continue to be replaced with online retail. IMHO movie theatre decline will be much faster.
And yet they built two new large movie theaters in a 10 mile radius of us last year.
Old 03-22-2020, 01:14 PM   #9

Location: An island off the coast of Florida. (Ok - if you really need to know it's Vero Beach)
When we get past the first wave of this pandemic, large social gatherings will likely be curtailed in specific cities/counties/regions whenever another outbreak starts. Movie theaters will top the list of what is temporarily closed by government to quell an outbreak.

Unless they are a Drive in Movie Theater.
DW and I are 62/62. 100% equities 31 years. FIRE'd August 2019. Non-cola pension cashed out Dec 2022 before segmentation rates reduced balance - rolled to MM fund, max SS for DH and DW at FRA. Mega retiree health available. IRA rollover from 401k Jan 2020 for NUA treatment. LTCG for 3 years. Next few years will be IRA cash withdrawals or until Stock Market recovers. AA 33% stocks, 67% MM and T-Bills. Rising equity glidepath.
atmsmshr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2020, 01:28 PM   #10
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by aja8888 View Post
And yet they built two new large movie theaters in a 10 mile radius of us last year.
Just wait, maybe they will build a drive-in theater too
Old 03-23-2020, 11:09 AM   #11

It is vital that AMC stock get bailout money if they are to survive. I am not saying that is a good thing or a bad thing, just that it must happen if AMC is to survive. Investors seem to be anticipating they could possibly be getting monetary support as the stock is now in positive territory.

Of course I don't think we know yet, as congress is still debating where bailout money will go, still it is interesting for me to watch what happens.

Old 03-23-2020, 11:47 AM   #12
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
It is vital that AMC stock get bailout money if they are to survive. I am not saying that is a good thing or a bad thing, just that it must happen if AMC is to survive. Investors seem to be anticipating they could possibly be getting monetary support as the stock is now in positive territory.

Of course I don't think we know yet, as congress is still debating where bailout money will go, still it is interesting for me to watch what happens.
I understand you're not taking sides, but why forestall the inevitable? If they want to take out business loans on their own, so be it. Movie theaters were already a declining business even with a booming economy, we should not prop them up now? With streaming and home theater quality, it's time to move on - many people already have. I won't miss $10 popcorn with fake butter...

Target AA: 50% equity funds / 45% bonds / 5% cash
Target WR: Approx 1.5% Approx 20% SI (secure income, SS only)
Midpack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2020, 11:59 AM   #13

Quote:
My VHS player repair guy wants some bailout money too. And he told me that his reel to reel player repair guy wants some of that action. Geez, next thing you know the 8 track player industry will be getting some.

" People say I'm lazy, dreaming my life away Well, they give me all kinds of advice designed to enlighten me When I tell them that I'm doing fine watching shadows on the wall "Don't you miss the big time, boy. You're no longer on the ball" -John Lennon-
Bigdawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2020, 12:13 PM   #14
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigdawg View Post
My VHS player repair guy wants some bailout money too. And he told me that his reel to reel player repair guy wants some of that action. Geez, next thing you know the 8 track player industry will be getting some.

Target AA: 50% equity funds / 45% bonds / 5% cash
Target WR: Approx 1.5% Approx 20% SI (secure income, SS only)
Midpack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2020, 02:27 PM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigdawg View Post
Well, I would say when your VHS repair guy and his reel to reel player employ over 130,000 they will be up for consideration regarding bail out money, otherwise I find your example a poor one and your attempt at humor lacking.

Old 03-23-2020, 02:34 PM   #16

Location: An island off the coast of Florida. (Ok - if you really need to know it's Vero Beach)
I would prefer that essential services and manufacturing be supported first. Then, those industries that employ large numbers of people that may only boarder on essential services. (Like restaurants) Marginal declining industries that have substitute competition? - back of the line.

I would rather see student loan debt relief before bailing out AMC.
DW and I are 62/62. 100% equities 31 years. FIRE'd August 2019. Non-cola pension cashed out Dec 2022 before segmentation rates reduced balance - rolled to MM fund, max SS for DH and DW at FRA. Mega retiree health available. IRA rollover from 401k Jan 2020 for NUA treatment. LTCG for 3 years. Next few years will be IRA cash withdrawals or until Stock Market recovers. AA 33% stocks, 67% MM and T-Bills. Rising equity glidepath.
atmsmshr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2020, 02:39 PM   #17
Give me a forum ...

I believe the current movie "The Hunt" is being advertised as going straight to the consumer. Don't know the details, but perhaps that is how the movie industry survives by running first shown movies for the first month it plays.
Old 03-23-2020, 02:43 PM   #18

Anytime there is bailout money there will be winners and losers. Some will be happy and some will not. It is up to congress to decide. We can have our opinions but that is all they are, is just our opinions. No one asked to go out of business. It is not anyone's fault that the coronavirus put a lot of businesses in dire straits.

But it will be congress who decides what businesses get support and which do not. I do not envy congress in this decision, there will be some brokenhearted people for sure left out in the cold when the money gets handed out.

Whether I agree with the business model of AMC and those like it are one thing, but to look into the eyes of all those thousands and thousands of employees who work in those theatres and say you are not worthy of our consideration is quite another.

Old 03-23-2020, 03:14 PM   #19
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Anytime there is bailout money there will be winners and losers. Some will be happy and some will not. It is up to congress to decide. We can have our opinions but that is all they are, is just our opinions. No one asked to go out of business. It is not anyone's fault that the coronavirus put a lot of businesses in dire straits.

But it will be congress who decides what businesses get support and which do not. I do not envy congress in this decision, there will be some brokenhearted people for sure left out in the cold when the money gets handed out.

Sure, tough choice to decide which companies will be supported with tax payer money, fortunately for Congress there are lobbyists who will contribute to their campaign funds and advise them of which companies are paying deserving the most.