Portal Forums Links Register FAQ Community Calendar Log in

Join Early Retirement Today

Any thoughts on Free Cash Flow Analysis for stock picking
Old 10-28-2009, 08:06 AM   #1
Dryer sheet aficionado

Any thoughts on Free Cash Flow Analysis for stock picking

Most of our money is indexed, but I have a small "testosterone induced trading account" that I mess around with sometimes.

Anyway, I came across this on seeking alpha, about using Free Cash Flow Analysis as a way to identify stocks that "might" generate a positive return on an individual basis.

Link: Invest Using Stocks' Price to Free Cash Flow -- Seeking Alpha

Here are a few formulas:

PFCF = Market Price/ (Cash flow per share -Capital Spending per share)

This ratio should be below 15 for best results.

FROIC = FCF per share / (long term debt per share + shareholders equity per share) x 100

This should be 20% or greater.

I was trying to figure some of this out this morning, but I am having trouble finding the numbers that I need to use. I tried using the key statistics on Yahoo finance for KO and this is what I came up with:

PFCF = Market Price/ (Cash flow per share(3.42 )-Capital Spending per share(.22))
FROIC = FCF per share (3.42)/ (long term debt per share (11.95) + shareholders equity per share(10.13))

KO
PFCF: 53.51 / 3.20 = 16.7
FROIC: 3.42 / 22.08 = 15.48%

So KO does not meet the criteria of less than 15 and more than 20%, but then again I am not sure if I am using the right numbers to begin with.

Has anyone tried to analyze stocks this way? Where do you get the most up to date and accurate statistics for each stock?

Tell me what you guys think.

Eladio
Eladio is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-28-2009, 09:42 AM   #2
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Generally I start with the SEC filings to get fundamental data and work from there. Your proposed analysis is very simplistic and may lead youinto a lot of value traps. So if a company is in a declining business and is milking it for cash flow while not investing in any new projects or maybe not even maintaining what they have, the company might score really well in your screen.

Either take the time and effort to do a full-blown forecast/fundamental model, or stick to indices.

- George Orwell

Ezekiel 23:20
brewer12345 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2009, 01:15 PM   #3
Dryer sheet aficionado

Thanks for the response brewer.

I agree that value traps could be a problem with this method. There certainly are lots of industries (ex. traditional newspaper companies) that are on their way out and are not a good place to put your money.

I guess I'm new enough to this game that I don't quite understand all the aspects of doing a full blown fundamental analysis. I work in healthcare and don't have any formal financial education, so I was just trying to find a way to analyze companies that I could understand. I guess if it was that easy to pick winners, we'd all be doing it.

Thanks,
Eladio
Eladio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2009, 03:43 PM   #4
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

You have the general idea. If you are trying to beat the market, you have to beat out a lot of very smart, very experienced players.

- George Orwell

Ezekiel 23:20
brewer12345 is offline   Reply With Quote