Join Early Retirement Today

Old 10-06-2011, 05:19 AM   #181
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by jayc View Post
Bought 100 HPQ Nov/11/25.00 @ 1.02
Sold 100 HPQ Nov/11/25.00 @ 1.41. I will do this again on any dip and/or go out a couple of months each time.
jayc is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-06-2011, 01:17 PM   #182
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sandhog View Post
Don't you just hated when a stock goes down few days after you bought it?
I've finished investing some cash I had early this year -- it's all in mutual fund shares, largely stocks. I've lost 4% from August up to now through not quite finding the bottoms. It would have been worse, of course, if I had not resisted the temptation to buy in last Spring, so I'm not terribly unhappy. Now I plan to sit back and watch the market go up and up.
Old 10-06-2011, 03:59 PM   #183
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by GregLee View Post
I've finished investing some cash I had early this year -- it's all in mutual fund shares, largely stocks. I've lost 4% from August up to now through not quite finding the bottoms. It would have been worse, of course, if I had not resisted the temptation to buy in last Spring, so I'm not terribly unhappy. Now I plan to sit back and watch the market go up and up.
I think that's very good plan. I've learn my lesson with buying high and selling low out of panic. My plans are the same. Buy and hold for long term. Hopefully, market goes up when it's time for withdraw.
The time to take counsel of your fears is before you make an important battle decision. That’s the time to listen to every fear you can imagine! When you have collected all the facts and fears and made your decision, turn off all your fears and go ahead! – General George S. Patton
Sandhog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2011, 07:50 PM   #184
Recycles dryer sheets

Went with PFE, LLY and AEP - looking for reasonable dividends.
MDJO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2011, 12:20 PM   #185
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by RetirementColdHardTruth View Post
Yea, I see it as a buying opportunity. However, I will be dropping in with $10k over the next 10 days. If it keeps on going down I may consider adding another $10k to the pot. This strategy worked really well for me on the way down during the last crash! Buy hey over 4% down in a day sounds like a SALE to me!!!
Well it is time to shuffle out of some of these purchases and raise some cash for the sidlines again. I did drop a little over 22k in the end, but it is worth about 24700 right now.

I also was shuffling the IRA accounts around to the tune of 130k and it is up to 144k now so time to move that back to cash as well and wait for a dip in bonds to put that money back to work.

I am not a market timer generally, but this strategy is now 2 for 2. With continued volatility I can see some gains being made. Start buying o the dips and selling on the rips.
Old 10-27-2011, 01:24 PM   #186
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by RetirementColdHardTruth View Post
Well it is time to shuffle out of some of these purchases and raise some cash for the sidlines again. I did drop a little over 22k in the end, but it is worth about 24700 right now.

I also was shuffling the IRA accounts around to the tune of 130k and it is up to 144k now so time to move that back to cash as well and wait for a dip in bonds to put that money back to work.

I am not a market timer generally, but this strategy is now 2 for 2. With continued volatility I can see some gains being made. Start buying o the dips and selling on the rips.
Can't blame a man for taking profits.
There are ways to stay in the game and protect yourself. Heck, that's what stock options are for (the help mitigate some of the risk). They ain't for everybody, but they ain't rocket science.

A "straddle" might make sense, because it pretty much lets you profit when the stock moves up or down. I can't help but think the market won't go sideways.
TN_INVEST is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2011, 01:28 PM   #187
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Gotta love dem options...........

This Thread is USELESS without pics.........:)
FinanceDude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2011, 02:36 PM   #188

We dropped out of CMG and PNRA along with some mutual funds in the 401k to the tune of 100k... Sidelines for a pullback of maybe 5% or so.
Surewhitey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2011, 07:38 PM   #189

My "hiding under the sheets looking at T&A," reveals that the 3 major averages all crossed and closed above their 200 day moving averages as a result of todays very nice rally.
This adds to the other (many) indicators that swung positive several days ago.
Of course we are overbought now, but we could easily pause briefly and press on much higher.
The deal breaker here are the headlines. If Europe does not deliver or something nutty (er) comes out of Washington it's game over.

Sigh, if it were only just about the TA.
JPatrick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2011, 10:53 PM   #190
Recycles dryer sheets

Well, I missed out this time. Maybe there will be a small correction before year end or beginning of next year.

My stocks did beautiful, but my 401K is hiding in stable value and bond funds.
heirloom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2011, 11:13 PM   #191
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by JPatrick View Post
It isn't
Old 10-28-2011, 08:33 AM   #192
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by freebird5825 View Post
My toast got a little burned, i.e. my recent purchase of 100 BHP shares. The dividend just paid took a little of the pain away. C'est la vie.
Looks like the market scraped off all of that burnt layer yesterday and today.

Go BHP Go BHP
Old 10-28-2011, 08:46 AM   #193
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by JPatrick View Post
Yeah, because TA is so easy to understand. I was just looking at a REIT I own, and one of the recent stories about it said "Possible Bearish Harami Candle Pattern Detected". That's just sooooo meaningful.
Old 10-28-2011, 10:29 AM   #194

Quote:
Originally Posted by GregLee View Post
I've finished investing some cash I had early this year -- it's all in mutual fund shares, largely stocks. I've lost 4% from August up to now through not quite finding the bottoms.
And now that recent investment is up 8.6%. Overall, though, I'm still down 3% from where I was in July.
Old 10-28-2011, 12:05 PM   #195

Quote:
Originally Posted by harley View Post
Yeah, because TA is so easy to understand. I was just looking at a REIT I own, and one of the recent stories about it said "Possible Bearish Harami Candle Pattern Detected". That's just sooooo meaningful.
Yup, I limit my indicators to about five.
I'm embarrassed to say I've never heard of a "Bearish Harami Candle Pattern."
No wait, now I recall, it's the newest flavor at Ben and Jerry's..Quite fattening I hear.
JPatrick is offline   Reply With Quote