Join Early Retirement Today

Anyone else a Tesla investor?
Old 11-17-2020, 02:39 AM   #1
Recycles dryer sheets

Anyone else a Tesla investor?

If you are an investor in Tesla I'm sure you've gotten the news already about the company joining the S and P 500 in December, 2020. News many have been waiting on. I am excited about the prospects and looking forward to the coming years as an investor in Tesla. Cheers!
Blue531 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-17-2020, 07:26 AM   #2
Full time employment: Posting here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blue531 View Post
If you are an investor in Tesla I'm sure you've gotten the news already about the company joining the S and P 500 in December, 2020. News many have been waiting on. I am excited about the prospects and looking forward to the coming years as an investor in Tesla. Cheers!
I've been adding over the past couple of weeks as share price declined a little. They are up big on the SP500 news.
Born2Fish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2020, 07:29 AM   #3
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

I had bought 100 shares of TSLA for the first time during the recent dip. I had used some profits from NIO to make the purchase, which has done very well for me using my “play” money.
Dash man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2020, 07:34 AM   #4
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

I bought a whopping 5 shares not too long ago, just to dip my toe in the water. I'm up about 29%. Starting to think maybe I should have put my whole foot in
Andre1969 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2020, 07:40 AM   #5
Give me a forum ...

Bought 5 shares pre-split at 900. I wanted to pick up 10 more and didn't pull the trigger.

Just as important I purchased a Model Y now I get it.
MRG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2020, 08:50 AM   #6
Full time employment: Posting here.

It looks like we are a few.

Just read that TSLA is the most shorted stock. And the largest addition to the S&P 500. So a record number of shares will have to be bought. I guess that might lead to margin calls for some of the shorts.

Then I am a real noob so what do I know. It will be interesting to watch.
Christine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2020, 09:23 AM   #7
Give me a forum ...

Congrats to all of you. Have not purchased but it is an interesting/baffling stock.

It seems a dubious long-term play at this level, particularly given the waves of competition. But I see that the battery tech could be the hidden value.

Just cannot or have not come up with any rational basis that the stock is not overvalued but it seems to be a cult stock for the youngs.
Montecfo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2020, 10:35 AM   #8
Recycles dryer sheets

I bought $20k worth a few years ago at a pre-split price of ~ $135 and sold about two years later with a gain of about 70% and put the proceeds in Wells Fargo. D'oh! I wasn't a big fan of the huge price swings so decided to bail. That $20k would be worth about $325k today. I kick myself sometimes, but knowing myself, I'm sure I would've sold at some other price along the way as I was always wary of them running out of cash. According to Elon, they were about a month away from bankruptcy while ramping up the Model 3 production. Now we own it through a couple of growth funds (VIGAX and FBGRX).

A couple years later (a week ago actually) we bought a Model Y and love it!
kevdude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2020, 11:35 AM   #9

I have 60 shares that I'll probably hold as long as we have a taxable brokerage account. I sold 60 shares at a pre-split $1905 this year. That locked in enough gains that I don't feel stupid keeping 60 shares, and Tesla isn't wagging our portfolio.
Animorph is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2020, 12:01 PM   #10
Dryer sheet aficionado

I own 150 shares of Tesla, purchased at different times over the past few years. Since the split, I've done very well selling Puts and Calls. (Since you have to buy/sell options in lots of 100, TSLA options were outside my comfort range prior to the split!) The stock's volatility has resulted in some very attractive options trades. Also, I'm a long-term believer in the company and it's future, so I believe in the underlying security, rather than just "trading a name."

As of Oct. 30, only 6.46% of TSLA was short - there are dozens and dozens of stocks with a higher percentage of shares short. However, when you do the calculation by market cap, then Tesla ends up near the top, as 6.46% of a $434 billion market cap is a lot of money! Percentage of shares is more relevant data, as a higher number of shares short can lead to a classic "short squeeze" when the stock prices rises, then begins to get "artificially" inflated as the shorts buy shares at higher and higher prices to cover their positions.
Ducati52 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2020, 06:18 PM   #11
Recycles dryer sheets

I am pretty heavily invested in Tesla since August last year. The return has been exceptionally well so far.
HawaiiShrimp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2020, 06:28 PM   #12
Give me a forum ...

I will be invested now thru my equity index funds but don't hold TSLA as an individual stock. Years ago I had enough cash to pay off my small mortgage on a cheap condo. I had considered using the money to buy 200 shares of Tesla but paid off the condo instead. If I had bought those shares for $8000 they would now be worth $800,000.
aaronc879 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2020, 08:13 PM   #13
Recycles dryer sheets

Holding about 2% of my total AUM in TSLA. Somedays I think it could be the next Yahoo and I should sell. Somedays I think it might become like Microsoft and settle down but still give incredible returns.

Would not add, too much risk.
KenZ71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2020, 08:28 PM   #14

I wanted to buy Tesla last year when it was $180 per share but I got spooked when a well known analyst predicted it could go down to $10/share. Just another reminder of why I should never listen to financial analysts.

We did “invest” in two Model 3’s but in spite of what Elon says, they have not turned out to be appreciating assets.
Ready is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2020, 03:47 AM   #15
Give me a forum ...

Tesla currently has a trailing P/E of 844. Yes, it is finally positive.

I wonder how much higher the P/E of the S&P, which is at 31 right now, will be boosted up by this move.

In March 2000, when the market was at the top before the dotcom implosion, the S&P sported a P/E in the range of 26-27.

"Those Who Can Make You Believe Absurdities Can Make You Commit Atrocities" - Voltaire (1694-1778)
NW-Bound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2020, 05:55 AM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by NW-Bound View Post
Tesla currently has a trailing P/E of 844. Yes, it is finally positive.

I wonder how much higher the P/E of the S&P, which is at 31 right now, will be boosted up by this move.

In March 2000, when the market was at the top before the dotcom implosion, the S&P sported a P/E in the range of 26-27.
The "mix" of the S&P 500 keeps changing, so not sure how relative the 2000 mix of companies and their cumulative P/E is to what 2020 mix is with the shift towards companies that have a higher P/E. Inclusion of Tesla will definitely make this a more volatile index IMHO.

This shows how much the mix has changed over time, good as a point of reference.

https://www.qad.com/blog/2019/10/sp-...nies-over-time

Kind of interesting is to see how the relative "age" of companies have dropped, then considering what market events occurred as the index hit it's "low" age of companies. Example, lows in/around 1975, early 1980's, 1990, 1999 and 2008.

History-of-Companies-and-Industries-Listed-on-the-S-P-500-QAD-Blog.png

We are heading there again, so..... draw whatever conclusions you want, just seem to align to some key periods of challenges in the market. Also note what happened after those events, the relative age of companies in the S&P shot way up - flight to quality?
bobandsherry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2020, 09:03 AM   #17
Recycles dryer sheets

I bought 7 shares pre-split, and am up 50%. I will watch prices when it joins the S&P, but am not expecting a major surge. If I find my initial investment value doubles, I will probably take the profit and invest that in something new, but we will have to see.
KarlH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2020, 08:20 AM   #18

I’ve been an investor in TSLA since the IPO.
Many analysts simply don’t understand how to view Tesla, so the range of estimates is huge.

Now that Tesla has a second factory, and is in the process of building two more, I am more confident in their future than ever.
Short term, who knows, long term it is very solid imho.
Old 11-19-2020, 09:18 AM   #19
Give me a forum ...

It is beyond overvalued but in this market anything can happen. Amazon was considered overvalued for many many years until people realized the only store in the future will be Amazon.
Fermion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2020, 09:37 AM   #20
Give me a forum ...

IMO it was overvalued years ago and is just more so today...

It does not make sense that it has a higher market value than Toyota, VW. Mercedes, GM, Honda and Ford combined...

However, I do have shares of this in at least one mutual fund and probably will have more of it in other index funds...
Texas Proud is offline   Reply With Quote