Join Early Retirement Today

Old 06-14-2022, 02:15 PM   #21
Recycles dryer sheets

Basic question, I see those auction dates. Is there a way to know what the coupon rate will be on these issues ahead of time?
npage is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-14-2022, 02:36 PM   #22
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by npage View Post
Basic question, I see those auction dates. Is there a way to know what the coupon rate will be on these issues ahead of time?
No.

But you can look at past auction results to get an idea.
Old 06-14-2022, 02:40 PM   #23
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Recent treasury rates will give you an idea. Apps like CNBC app will show current treasury rates more or less real time. Fidelity shows expected yield on their new treasury issues page, but it sometimes seems a bit off.

I like this page from treasury direct in general: https://www.treasurydirect.gov/insti...t.htm?upcoming and you can click on Auction Results to get the results from the most recent auction.
Old 06-14-2022, 02:43 PM   #24
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by audreyh1 View Post
Recent treasury rates will give you an idea. Apps like CNBC app will show current treasury rates more or less real time. Fidelity shows expected yield on their new treasury issues page, but it sometimes seems a bit off.

I like this page from treasury direct in general: https://www.treasurydirect.gov/insti...t.htm?upcoming and you can click on Auction Results to get the results from the most recent auction.
So does the treasury use recent auctions to start the starting bids so to speak? They must have some starting coupon rate right or how would I know what ot bid? I'm picturing a world where we had paper, would they have printed a bunch of notes that said 3.5% on them and said bid away?
Anyone Else still holding Bond Funds?
Old 06-14-2022, 02:55 PM   #25
Give me a forum ...

Anyone Else still holding Bond Funds?

I’m not touching my bond funds and still have them set to reinvest all distributions.

I’m far less knowledgeable about bonds and bond funds than many here but my bond allocation has mostly done as I expected/hoped.

[ADDED] I don’t hold individual bonds, only funds. I’m retired (don’t want/like the work!)

steelyman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2022, 02:57 PM   #26
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

I’m holding onto my Total Bond Fund for now. I’ve always subscribed to the idea of diversifying my fixed income as well as my equities. So I hold a fair chunk of fixed in I-Bonds, CDs and cash in addition to TBF. As several of the CDs mature during the summer and fall, I’ll likely jump on the Treasury ladder bandwagon, particularly if the Treasurys continue to outearn CDs.
Old 06-14-2022, 02:58 PM   #27
gone traveling

Quote:
Originally Posted by aja8888 View Post
Treasury Direct publishes an annual auction calendar so you can see the dates the auctions take place. I buy mine through my Schwab account as they have a page where you can do all this. You can even buy treasuries after market as they are sold through the bond desks at the brokerages.

Here's a link to the current auction schedule:

https://home.treasury.gov/system/fil...duleQ22022.pdf
Thanks. I understand bills are sold by $1000 amounts. Later on if you want to sell a few bills either for cash or for rebalancing purposes, can you sell just a few bills and leave the rest of the lot untouched?
Bergamo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2022, 03:08 PM   #28
Full time employment: Posting here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kook View Post
I sold my Total Bond (VBTLX) a few months ago at a pretty healthy loss. However, I held on to my Short Term Investment Grade (VFSUX) and my Intermediate Term Tax Exempt (VWIUX). The total of these holdings is high in the 6 figures. Losses are a bit more than 40K at this point. I have had both these funds for many years.

I have always subscribed to the Buy and Hold philosophy, that Bonds are the Ballast, the safety net....that Bonds zig when stocks zag and blah, blah, blah. I have kept telling myself to stay the course and stick with my IPS. However, with large pending rate increases, it seems that Bonds have a lot more falling to do. Dividend payments should slowly increase, of course, but it is going to take a lot of years to make up for the losses.

Now I am wondering if I should just suck it up, lock in my losses and plop the money in short term cd or treasury ladders until the rate increases stabilize. It goes against my IPS but this environment is challenging my prior thoughts.

Hindsight is 20/20.

So....anyone else still holding bond funds and staying the course?

Still learning,
KooK
Yes, I am doing Roth Conversions, so I am selling my main Bond ETF BND in the IRA and buying VTI in the Roth.
Yes a difficult situation to be in, but selling BND roughly around 10% down & buying VTI at around 20% down & hoping when Stocks come back up in Roth, it will be worth it. Well, time will tell.....

We are retired, I am liquidating VWIUX & VBIRX from Taxable accounts in small numbers for living expenses, as most of our expenses are covered by dividends. SS will be at age 70

During present time, hoping Bonds will come to rescue during Bear Stock Market was & is a lot of b&#@X+.

I am glad we will still be OK, unless it will be a Japan like situation. I am trying to not look at the Market these days, but the bad news is right on TV.
rkser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2022, 03:10 PM   #29
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bergamo View Post
Thanks. I understand bills are sold by $1000 amounts. Later on if you want to sell a few bills either for cash or for rebalancing purposes, can you sell just a few bills and leave the rest of the lot untouched?
Yes, you can sell them individually.
Old 06-14-2022, 03:10 PM   #30
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
So does the treasury use recent auctions to start the starting bids so to speak? They must have some starting coupon rate right or how would I know what ot bid? I'm picturing a world where we had paper, would they have printed a bunch of notes that said 3.5% on them and said bid away?
I’m sure it’s influenced by recent rates, but it is an auction after all. Some details here: https://www.treasurydirect.gov/insti.../work/work.htm
Old 06-14-2022, 03:17 PM   #31
Give me a forum ...

Still holding on to my short and intermediate term bond funds, they are munis, and I am still reinvesting the dividends. I would only sell if I choose to do tax loss harvesting.

The majority of the bonds in my AA are in my 401K stable value bond fund, and no need to touch that.
Old 06-14-2022, 03:20 PM   #32
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by jollystomper View Post
Still holding on to my short and intermediate term bond funds, they are munis, and I am still reinvesting the dividends. I would only sell if I choose to do tax loss harvesting.

The majority of the bonds in my AA are in my 401K stable value bond fund, and no need to touch that.
I have high hopes that my stable value fund will soon begin to edge up on its returns. In this high inflation environment, my SV is now a drag on the port.

Anything which can be used can be misused. Anything which can be misused will be.
Koolau is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2022, 06:26 PM   #33
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
I sold my Total Bond (VBTLX) a few months ago at a pretty healthy loss. However, I held on to my Short Term Investment Grade (VFSUX) and my Intermediate Term Tax Exempt (VWIUX). The total of these holdings is high in the 6 figures. Losses are a bit more than 40K at this point. I have had both these funds for many years.

I have always subscribed to the Buy and Hold philosophy, that Bonds are the Ballast, the safety net....that Bonds zig when stocks zag and blah, blah, blah. I have kept telling myself to stay the course and stick with my IPS. However, with large pending rate increases, it seems that Bonds have a lot more falling to do. Dividend payments should slowly increase, of course, but it is going to take a lot of years to make up for the losses.

Now I am wondering if I should just suck it up, lock in my losses and plop the money in short term cd or treasury ladders until the rate increases stabilize. It goes against my IPS but this environment is challenging my prior thoughts.

Hindsight is 20/20.

Still learning,
KooK
I sold all my bond funds a few weeks back. I dont see a scenario in my thesis where they are worth holding. I'll get back into them, but not in the short term.
madatrub is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2022, 07:25 PM   #34

Quote:

Hindsight is 20/20.

Still learning,
KooK
I sold all of my Short Term Investment Grade Admiral shares on 6/9 losing ~$6k. Today I sold all of my Ultra Short Term Bond Fund Admiral shares, I
forget the loss but it's thousands. This is in my Rollover IRA, I put the proceeds into my settlement fund and will buy 13 week T bills each week for the rest of the year. I always reinvested the dividends from bond funds but despite holding 2 short duration funds I've lost a lot but nowhere near your losses.

I need to wait 30 days from 5/31 so I can sell my Intermediate Term Tax Exempt Bond Fund Admiral shares in my taxable account and use the loss to offset income over the next 3 years. I changed the reinvesting of cap gains and dividends into my settlement account today also. I will start to buy 13 week T bills with the money come early July.

I have come to realize that bond funds are weapons of monetary destruction in a rising rate environment even short term funds. I have had enough, it wasn't easy to do this but there is no option as rates are going up fast and will cause larger losses.

While many are holding tight, I think your age has a lot to do with how you think about this. I need to start RMDs this year and I would sell bond funds but they are down a lot with equities by much more. This is why I decided to get out of the bond funds and stop losing money. When I decide to take the RMD I'll start accumulating the proceeds of maturing T bills or equities if they recover by year end.
Graybeard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2022, 07:30 PM   #35

Quote:
Originally Posted by W2R View Post
Me If I bought and sold during periods of market volatility like this, I'd be broke by now. Market timing never works for me so I am just holding on tight for now.
I would not view this as market timing when you sell a bond fund and buy Treasuries, you're swopping one fixed income investment for another. We know rates are going up tomorrow and in July and in September and may be 150 or 200 basis points higher in 3 months, that'll continue to erode your holdings.

I never owned a bond in the past, I always bought bond funds but I started to research TLH and how to buy Treasuries so I have some degree of confidence how to do this and that for me it makes sense.
Graybeard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2022, 08:13 PM   #36
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by audreyh1 View Post
I’m sure it’s influenced by recent rates, but it is an auction after all. Some details here: https://www.treasurydirect.gov/insti.../work/work.htm
Thanks, this is the interesting thing to me, if one were to put a non competitive bid in today for an upcoming auction, you don't really know the rate. You are basically saying here's how much I have, I take what you get if I read right. I understand current market rates will drive it though.

"Noncompetitive bidding is limited to purchases of $5 million per auction. With a noncompetitive bid, a bidder agrees to accept the rate, yield, or discount margin determined at auction."
Old 06-14-2022, 08:18 PM   #37
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

While a balanced not a bond fund, much of my bond AA is in VBIAX VG 60/40 balanced fund with the 40 part =to BND. So If I wanted to reduce bonds I would have had to sell it and get maybe VTI and some bond fund or indivual bond. Its not that it is too much work but the balanced fund is designed to keep my hands off and if I tried to split out the bond alloacation I would be trying to time in and out of stocks and bonds. So I just hold on, fortunately VBIAX is ED & I Roth holding which are intended to pass on to our sons unless an emergency arises. These last few days everything is down, stocks, bonds and cash depreciating. This too will pass. Could I do something better? Probably but doing nothing for 20+ years has worked well.
Old 06-14-2022, 08:30 PM   #38
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Thanks, this is the interesting thing to me, if one were to put a non competitive bid in today for an upcoming auction, you don't really know the rate. You are basically saying here's how much I have, I take what you get if I read right. I understand current market rates will drive it though.

"Noncompetitive bidding is limited to purchases of $5 million per auction. With a noncompetitive bid, a bidder agrees to accept the rate, yield, or discount margin determined at auction."
I believe that when we sign up through our broker to buy new treasury issues at auction, we are entering non-competitive bids. Somyeah, we are relying on the “big boys” to do the hard bargaining and going along fr the ride.

No, you don’t know the rate ahead of time.
Old 06-14-2022, 08:54 PM   #39
Recycles dryer sheets

Makes sense. I see no reason then for me to buy a new issue at auction via vanguard than just grabbing one in secondary.

I suppose buying at auction maybe you get close to 100 par purchase at the then prevailing coupon rate. So for instance right now you can't find one at exact 3.5% for instance so you are paying under 100 and getting a lower semi annual payment and when matures you achieve the 3.5%. At auction day you probably can get exact 3.5% at no discount or at least very close.
Old 06-14-2022, 10:46 PM   #40
gone traveling

Quote:
Originally Posted by aja8888 View Post
Yes, you can sell them individually.
Thank you for confirming. That is useful in managing situations that may arise.
Bergamo is offline   Reply With Quote