Apple kills it again

bw5972

Recycles dryer sheets
Sales beat expectations at $52.6 billion for the past quarter. Might sell 25% of my holdings tomorrow if it spikes up over 3%. Any other AAPL holders? Are you standing pat or taking profit?

DH says he is holding pat. He might blink at $180 (knock on wood).

DH says he is holding pat. He might blink at $180 (knock on wood).

Not expecting $180 to come into play in the short term. I might move at $ 175 the 25% which are my "trading shares" bought around $150/shr. Too much cap gains in my "holding shares" with a cost basis under $8/shr.

Not expecting $180 to come into play in the short term. I might move at $ 175 the 25% which are my "trading shares" bought around $150/shr. Too much cap gains in my "holding shares" with a cost basis under $8/shr.
Neither is DH. He's thinking about next year.

Sales beat expectations at $52.6 billion for the past quarter. Might sell 25% of my holdings tomorrow if it spikes up over 3%. Any other AAPL holders? Are you standing pat or taking profit?

Just going to keep mine indefinitely

I think it's been a while since Apple had such a blow-out quarter. People are usually nitpicking and complaining about near misses (sometimes made up out of whole cloth) after the quarterly results are announced.

I am still holding, but Apple has grown to nearly 10% of our assets (not including mutual fund holdings). This is more than I would like, but a good problem to have. I am trying to hold on selling until we retire and can sell with no or little capital gains. Maybe that will be sooner than I thought.

My position has risen to 15%. i am watching it with interest. I think the X will start another ramp in sales.

Still holding onto my original shares bought in January 2001 and have no plans to sell. Lucky for me, I don’t rebalance. :)

“To suggest that this investor should sell off portions of his most successful investments simply because they have come to dominate his portfolio is akin to suggesting that the Bulls trade Michael Jordan because he has become so important to the team.” —*Warren Buffet

What a contrast. I thought this thread was a review of the new iPhone X. :D

On another forum I frequent, guys are going gaga waiting for their pre-ordered iPhones and the accessories they have had on hand waiting for the phone's arrival.

On the radio this morning, the reporter was talking to a guy who had been waiting in front of the Apple Store since Noon yesterday. This [-]idiot[/-], er *shrewd consumer* actually said that he considered the $1,000+ he was about to drop on the new iPhone to be an "investment". :ROFLMAO:

It's such a relief to be among sane people.

I could have been clearer on the title but then again, the post was into the "Stock Picking and Market Strategy" forum. Yesterday was earnings release day for Apple's previous quarter financials.

I'm still all in. Getting close to $100 share above my cost basis. I've been thinking of more consolidation of some individual equities into index funds. I'll still do that, perhaps trim 20% of Apple, I'll liquidate other issues first.

Last edited:
On the radio this morning, the reporter was talking to a guy who had been waiting in front of the Apple Store since Noon yesterday. This [-]idiot[/-], er *shrewd consumer* actually said that he considered the $1,000+ he was about to drop on the new iPhone to be an "investment". :ROFLMAO:

It's such a relief to be among sane people.
I consider iPhones and iPads to be a lifestyle expense just like our properties.

I could have been clearer on the title but then again, the post was into the "Stock Picking and Market Strategy" forum. Yesterday was earnings release day for Apple's previous quarter financials.
No, you are absolutely right. I noticed the category afterwards and thought "Duh. Of course, it's about Apple's stock performance". :cool:

I consider iPhones and iPads to be a lifestyle expense just like our properties.
Yep. Before I caught the FIRE bug, I dropped $1,000 an Phone myself. But, I knew I was spending the money and didn't try to rationalize it by telling people it was an "investment".

I’ll contribute to Apple’s bottom line soon. I’m getting a cell phone - probably the x. Just not ready for the hassle of buying it - I always had company cell phones in the past and I never had to buy and get service plans before.

I’ll contribute to Apple’s bottom line soon. I’m getting a cell phone - probably the x. Just not ready for the hassle of buying it - I always had company cell phones in the past and I never had to buy and get service plans before.

Boy, have you been outta the loop!

Our first iPhone was bought off craigslist for $100 (4S). It is still my phone. It runs on Paygo. DW has a plan because that was the cheapest way to get the 8 Plus (for the camera). One of her few luxuries!

(Our gain on the stock is now 1500%. That ought to pay for a little product.)

Last edited:
Our first iPhone was bought off craigslist for $100 (4S). It is still my phone. It runs on Paygo. DW has a plan because that was the cheapest way to get the 8 Plus (for the camera). One of her few luxuries!

(Our gain on the stock is now 1500%. That ought to pay for a little product.)

WOW 1500%!! Congrats. And I thought I was proud of my 260%

One of my fears with keeping Apple in the coming months is the looming battle over tax reform. Apple has become a poster child for off shore sheltering. Though everyone does this, they seem to be bearing the brunt of this growing debate of corporate shell games. Hoping they stay away from the 'irrational' associations that may arise from being one of the biggest guys in this game.

One of my fears with keeping Apple in the coming months is the looming battle over tax reform. Apple has become a poster child for off shore sheltering. Though everyone does this, they seem to be bearing the brunt of this growing debate of corporate shell games. Hoping they stay away from the 'irrational' associations that may arise from being one of the biggest guys in this game.

Huh? I don't think a single company can be targeted by tax law, and there is nothing in the proposal that I see to their detriment. They would benefit from the lower corporate tax rate and lower rate in repatriated assets just like all the other companies.

Huh? I don't think a single company can be targeted by tax law, and there is nothing in the proposal that I see to their detriment. They would benefit from the lower corporate tax rate and lower rate in repatriated assets just like all the other companies.

I was referencing the irrational aspect to investing... and the PR association of Apple (unfairly) being labeled as a villain in the game of tax sheltering - which is a sentiment that has started to creep up in the media.

Paradise Papers: Apple defends use of tax haven for overseas cash - Nov. 7, 2017

There is not a logical association to damage to Apples long term profitability... rather the intangible association of an American company getting labeled as (insert negative association here) due to their logical path of using the tax system to their advantage.

The fear is... suddenly some percentage of Apple support moving another direction because Apple is that guy who avoids taxes (a statement that's easy to respond to with and number of rebuttals: "Everyone does that", "as a shareholder of course I want them to do that!", etc...). Seeing a company as a human... is a very human thing to do. People love apple when it's rising, but a tide could easily swing the other way... and that could be very damaging. All large companies have PR sectors tracking these intangibles. Think Facebooks constant struggle to be at the center of our lives while walking this very fine line of collecting on it's users to make a profit through Ads... while hoping to sweep under the rug how they are for seemingly infultrating our lives in ways we don't even fully understand... ig... targeted Ads of things you want to see that you were just talking about to a friend 5 minutes ago (did they hear me through my mi on my phone? Did I give them permission to do that?). Apple is at a bigger risk here than I think many realize. Their ties have grown international and they are very much balancing this game of keeping their shareholders happy, as well as their customers. On this board, most are both (and I'd expect the focus to be on logical aspects of profitability; rather than on the PR aspects that ebb and flow)... but in the public sector, the vast majority of their profits coming from sales to people who aren't also shareholders. There isn't as much support for "nah, we love them!" ... people are more interested in the next best thing... and drama in a PR sense is addictive in the news and social media world. Only takes one bad association to start the snowball rolling. I see it as a risk... a hard one to effectively quantify, but one I think that'll play into the future prospects of Apple as it approaches first to cross the $1T valuation. They will become a media target... I think.

Last edited:
Well, that's been out there for quite a while already. Nothing new. Witness Apple's European tax hit in terms of their Ireland tax rate.

Back
Top Bottom