Join Early Retirement Today

Old 02-19-2021, 08:53 PM   #101
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Here is a Morningstar analysis of ARKK:

https://www.morningstar.com/articles...ions-portfolio
Lsbcal is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-19-2021, 09:18 PM   #102
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Anyone out there remember one of the Fav's from the dot com era, JDSU (or as Cramer used to call it "Just Don't Sell Us"). Got as high as $1000 before everything came crashing down.

I never invested in it (thank goodness).

https://www.stockspinoffs.com/2017/0...mlite-solider/
copyright1997reloaded is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2021, 09:41 PM   #103
Moderator Emeritus

Sun Microsystems was another that went deep fast. Good company, good products (servers, their own chips, good software) etc.
Old 02-22-2021, 12:23 AM   #104
Give me a forum ...

Location: Spending the Kids Inheritance and living in Chicago
Quote:
Originally Posted by aja8888 View Post
Sun Microsystems was another that went deep fast. Good company, good products (servers, their own chips, good software) etc.
Yep, same with Notwell Nortel
Old 02-22-2021, 10:23 AM   #105
Dryer sheet aficionado

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sunset View Post
Yep, same with Notwell Nortel

Nortel was a client for about six years while they were riding high. Really enjoyed their money while it lasted. They contributed nicely to a couple of exotic vacations and a chunk of our early retirement funds. Gracias.
rt-texas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2021, 01:52 PM   #106

I notice there hasn't been a ton of "All hail ARK" posts lately.
Old 02-23-2021, 01:58 PM   #107
Dryer sheet aficionado

Quote:
Originally Posted by copyright1997reloaded View Post
"All hail ARK"
CincyDave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2021, 02:29 PM   #108
Full time employment: Posting here.

Quote:
Seriously? They have a couple bad days and you want to gloat? If you made 200% like one of the funds did last year you can afford this drop. Sheesh!
garyt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2021, 02:42 PM   #109
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
I bought more G on this mornings dip; thanks for asking.
MRG is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2021, 02:54 PM   #110

Quote:
Originally Posted by garyt View Post
Seriously? They have a couple bad days and you want to gloat? If you made 200% like one of the funds did last year you can afford this drop. Sheesh!
Relax, just a little humor. As an aside, how do you know how I've done in the last year? ARK has recently bought stocks I own, things like DM and VUZI. My basis on DM is under $11, VUZI under $5.

As was noticed on another thread, when people start to get really defensive of their "pet" funds and holdings (like CCIV), that is the time that alarm bells should go off.
Old 02-23-2021, 06:04 PM   #111

Quote:
Relax, just a little humor. As an aside, how do you know how I've done in the last year? ARK has recently bought stocks I own, things like DM and VUZI. My basis on DM is under $11, VUZI under $5.

As was noticed on another thread, when people start to get really defensive of their "pet" funds and holdings (like CCIV), that is the time that alarm bells should go off.
I don't know, nor do I care how you did last year. My point is, ARK was up 200%,150% and I think 125% last year. I don't think a couple down days is reason to take shots. You say it was just a little humor, so I apologize if I jumped. But I notice there tends to be a group of people here who if someone posts of investing in something they're not in, they'll be quick to jump if it goes a bit sideways. Be it indexers vs. stock pickers or whatever.
garyt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2021, 06:53 PM   #112

Quote:
Originally Posted by garyt View Post
I don't know, nor do I care how you did last year. My point is, ARK was up 200%,150% and I think 125% last year. I don't think a couple down days is reason to take shots. You say it was just a little humor, so I apologize if I jumped. But I notice there tends to be a group of people here who if someone posts of investing in something they're not in, they'll be quick to jump if it goes a bit sideways. Be it indexers vs. stock pickers or whatever.
I think many of these funds will end up like Janus 20 and other hot funds of years ago. Having said that, it doesn't mean that they can't go higher - much higher and I too have been speculating investing in these kinds of companies.

Does that mean it is a waste? No. In the 1800's and early 1900's a lot of America's railroad infrastructure was built as the result of British investment, and even in England in the 1840's there was a "Railroad" stock mania. The net result was that most of the investors lost money, but America ended up with a great infrastructure for growth.

Similarly, there will be lots of failures in terms of genomics, electric vehicles, 3D printing, and other "ARK" like companies. But a few of them will make it and I don't doubt we are on the cusp of vast changes in these fields.

I teach computer science (retired from mega-corp and now teaching CS in a college full-time). One of the things I try to drive (repeatedly) into new CS students is that each "crank" of the technology wheel (smaller->faster) processors, increased storage, faster communications results in new applications that are possible. It isn't that people 30 years ago weren't thinking of AI, speech recognition, vision systems, AR, VR, medical uses of chips/technology, gene research using computational devices, and so on. They were...it is just that in 45 years (when I learned to program) with a doubling of processing speeds and storage capacity every 2 years we have processors that are 2**22 = 4 million times faster, and it is THAT which makes these once far-fetched things possible. Even more important, I try to impress on them that IT HASN'T STOPPED, so what applications and use cases will THEY be able to work on in 4, 10, 20, 30 years.

But between now and then there will be a lot of run ups, new companies, but many failures and many hot funds that are no longer so.
Old Yesterday, 09:04 AM   #113

Just thought I would post this gem, "The Winners of the New World"
Quote:
You want my top 10 stocks for who is going to make it in the New World? You know what? I am going to give them to you. Right here. Right now.
https://www.thestreet.com/personal-f...w-world-891820

To all riding the ARK wave and think "This time is different", it is always different and yet the same. The new world promised by railroad build out happened, the new world promised by electricity and the automobile happened, the new world promised by networking (the Internet happened), and the new world promised by genomics, AI, AR, and advanced manufacturing (e.g. 3D printing, additive manufacturing) will happen. That isn't the question. The question is what will happen with this new crop of "Winners of the New World" companies.

Again, don't misread me. I am invested in quite a few of them. But anyone who thinks "This time is different" and that there won't eventually be serious carnage along the way is fooling themselves.
Old Yesterday, 09:30 AM   #114

Quote:
Originally Posted by rt-texas View Post
Nortel was a client for about six years while they were riding high. Really enjoyed their money while it lasted. They contributed nicely to a couple of exotic vacations and a chunk of our early retirement funds. Gracias.
Knew blue-collar employees at one of their local worksites who loved seeing their retirement (all in company stock, of course) balances reach the high 6 figures.

Most told me they'd sell when it hit a million, but instead they ended up riding it back down to 5 figures (or less)
ncbill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 11:39 AM   #115

Quote:
Nortel was a client for about six years while they were riding high.
A number of years ago, I worked for a US company that Nortel acquired. They merged us together with another acquired US high tech company and things went down hill very quickly. I'm thinking it was a case of they had more money than sense. The merged companies went out of business in just a few short years.