Join Early Retirement Today

Old 05-10-2022, 12:26 PM   #161
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Ark has had $1.3B of net inflows in 2022.

https://markets.businessinsider.com/...ie-wood-2022-5
joesxm3 is online now   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-10-2022, 12:57 PM   #162
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by joesxm3 View Post
Where did you see Ark buying GM? According to cathiesark.com she has been selling Feels but I did not see buying GM.

Cathie explained her selling tesla in order to shift to companies that she has equal conviction in but have dropped much harder than tesla. She attributes tesla's relative strength to it being in so.e indexes.
Google it. Widely reported.
Montecfo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2022, 01:04 PM   #163

Interesting. Must not have been updated on the cathiesark web site.

Small position in ARKQ, but interesting nonetheless.
Old 05-10-2022, 02:24 PM   #164

After hours action:
COIN - 7th largest ARK Invest (combined) holding - imploding on earnings, down 12.6% today and down another 10.8% after hours (as I type this).
U - Unity (Game development) SW - 10th largest ARK invest holding - imploding on earnings, down 4. 5% today and 36.7% after hours (again as I type this).

I've done development using Unity, I was tempted to buy it shortly after it IPO'd, but missed it and didn't want to chase it up up up.
copyright1997reloaded is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2022, 05:07 PM   #165

Funny that there were a lot of articles saying that Cathie bought GM for ARKQ, but it is not listed in the 5/10 ho!dings PDF.
Old 05-10-2022, 05:24 PM   #166
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by joesxm3 View Post
Ark has had $1.3B of net inflows in 2022.

https://markets.businessinsider.com/...ie-wood-2022-5
Wow. A lot of money comes in, and CW keeps buying, yet her stocks keep going down. There's got to be more willing sellers than buyers like CW.

"Those Who Can Make You Believe Absurdities Can Make You Commit Atrocities" - Voltaire (1694-1778)
NW-Bound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2022, 06:07 PM   #167

Rats, hold some COIN, down 50%+ for me, and worse, in an IRA
Old 05-12-2022, 08:29 AM   #168

Quote:
Originally Posted by copyright1997reloaded View Post
While I understand your point, this isn't just a question of active vs. passive. It is an example of the mantra of "You don't understand, these are disruptive technologies and will change everything".

Here's a chart of ARRK compared to the Nasdaq circa 2000:

https://stockcharts.com/h-sc/ui?s=AR...2&a=1081073226

Certainly, one could have argued that a passively managed fund that used Nasdaq as its proxy would not have done well in any sense of the word during that timeframe.

Or a more recent example, one that I painfully own: XBI. This ETF is simply an equal weighted one for Biotech. It is now below its level at the end of April of 2015....so a net loss for "transformative biotechnology" over seven years.

Sorry, I’m having a hard time understanding your point. The chart provided seems to overlay the peak of NASDAQ with the peak of ARKK, which happened a year apart. I don’t know what to make of that. Second, haven’t many of the best and largest tech behemoths migrated to the NYSE, damaging NASDAQ returns? Please try again to help a confirmed index investor-who-owns-some-Bitcoin, like me, understand where you’re placing ARKK in that context. Personally, I’d never buy it anymore than I’d buy an active fund or pick stocks but I get excited hearing Cathie Woods describe the transformational technologies on society’s horizon, regardless of which companies eventually manage to survive and make the cut into NYSE beasts. One can do both.
Markola is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2022, 09:20 AM   #169
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Markola View Post
Sorry, I’m having a hard time understanding your point. The chart provided seems to overlay the peak of NASDAQ with the peak of ARKK, which happened a year apart. I don’t know what to make of that. Second, haven’t many of the best and largest tech behemoths migrated to the NYSE, damaging NASDAQ returns? Please try again to help a confirmed index investor-who-owns-some-Bitcoin, like me, understand where you’re placing ARKK in that context. Personally, I’d never buy it anymore than I’d buy an active fund or pick stocks but I get excited hearing Cathie Woods describe the transformational technologies on society’s horizon, regardless of which companies eventually manage to survive and make the cut into NYSE beasts. One can do both.
I take @copyright1997reloaded's chart as an illustration of a perennial market phenomenon. An asset takes off like a rocket ship, climbs impossibly, runs our of fuel, and crashes to earth. This is an old, old story, repeated frequently. Remember JDS Uniphase?. ​“Those who cannot remember the past are condemned to repeat it.” – George Santayana,

Cathie is an old (66YO), experienced hand and a superb huckster. She knows how these things work. So what is going on?

I think she decided that creating a rocket ship was the best way to maximize the AUM fees she collects, notwithstanding the rocket ship's inevitable demise. She created a few potential rocket ships and got lucky with ARKK. Money poured in, NAV rose significantly and she raked in the AUM dough. As the ship began returning to earth, she has been using her huckster talents to convince true believers that the descent is temporary, thus maximizing AUM fees as the rocket ship dies. She can now retire a rich woman.
Old 05-12-2022, 01:25 PM   #170

ARK Funds

Ok but why would anyone have their AUM with a firm investing in obviously risky, bleeding-edge tech? Hopefully, not Grandma in for 100% tech but institutionals who knowingly put a small % of their portfolio in high risk, volatile investments. Caveat emptor.
Markola is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2022, 01:37 PM   #171
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Markola View Post
Ok but why would anyone have their AUM with a firm investing in obviously risky, bleeding-edge tech? Hopefully, not Grandma in for 100% tech but institutionals who knowingly put a small % of their portfolio in high risk, volatile investments. Caveat emptor.
I was referring to Cathy's 75bps mutual fund fee, which is based on a percentage of assets under management. Not implying that Grandma or anyone else had put her whole stash with Cathy.