Join Early Retirement Today

ARK Funds
Old 05-21-2020, 11:25 AM   #1
Recycles dryer sheets

ARK Funds

I recently discovered ARK funds (but have not purchased any yet). They have about 5 or 6 ETFs that have performed quite well. ARKG is up over 40% YTD and its largest fund, ARKW gained 87% in 2017. SPY is down 7% YTD

I realize that they are managed sector funds, so they are less diversified & have higher expense ratios. But I'm thinking a well-managed sector fund might be a wiser choice than a broad-based index fund during a major downturn.

What do you guys think?

GreenEggs is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-21-2020, 11:27 AM   #2
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by GreenEggs View Post

What do you guys think?
I think chasing returns is rarely a good strategy.

You may not know it but I'm quite famous

Retired in 2005 at age 58, no pension
REWahoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2020, 11:50 AM   #3
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

I heard their ETFs are focused on disruptive innovation...

But seriously, what could go wrong? One tends to overlook the downside and focus on recent gain. ARKG is not as spectacular when you compare 5 years.

Maybe try a backtest at https://www.portfoliovisualizer.com. You'd be buying ARKG at 5-year high. It might do down...
target2019 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2020, 12:41 PM   #4
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by target2019 View Post
I heard their ETFs are focused on disruptive innovation...

But seriously, what could go wrong? One tends to overlook the downside and focus on recent gain. ARKG is not as spectacular when you compare 5 years.

Maybe try a backtest at https://www.portfoliovisualizer.com. You'd be buying ARKG at 5-year high. It might do down...

Since inception (2015) $1,000,000 invested in SPY = $1,570,000 today
ARKG= $2,042,00 today
ARKW= $3,778,000 today

You're right about them being priced at their peaks. It would probably be a better idea to wait until after the next correction to get into ARKs, or anything else.
GreenEggs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2020, 01:34 PM   #5
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

There are many investments where it would be awesome to go back in time.
target2019 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2020, 01:53 PM   #6
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by GreenEggs View Post
... I'm thinking a well-managed sector fund might be a wiser choice than a broad-based index fund during a major downturn. What do you guys think?
I think that is a really good strategy if you can reliably predict the future.

It has been demonstrated time and time again that past performance is not predictive. Selling the myth that past performance is important is one of the major successes of the investment industry. Here's one of the genuine experts talking about the subject: https://famafrench.dimensional.com/v...-managers.aspx

OldShooter is offline   Reply With Quote