Join Early Retirement Today

Old 05-17-2021, 05:41 PM   #21
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Can't imagine the dividend is going to survive at current level.

ATT took a major bath on both the Directv purchase and the Time Warner purchase. Pretty much both businesses end up selling for valuations of half of what they paid for them just three years (TimeWarner) and seven years ago (Directv).

Selling telephone lines doesn't necessarily make you qualified to run distribution and content companies.

Probably right up there with dumbest mergers of all time which is still let by the debacle that was Time Warner and AOL.
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-17-2021, 07:28 PM   #22
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Pie in the sky, but does anyone think that T's CEO's phone is ringing off the hook right now (figuratively) with 99% of the shareholders screaming at him to hold the dividend?

It's the #1 reason people own this stock. They could come back in a few weeks with a 'reassessment' of the dividend cut.
Old 05-17-2021, 07:54 PM   #23
Recycles dryer sheets

In this day and age, when long term investing horizon (attention time span) is couple of years, Dividend becomes the first casualty.

For that reason.. I just go with SCHD. Much broader, diversified dividend ETF. Even if couple of holdings act up, rest of the mothership still keeps floating ahead.
yhoomajor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2021, 08:17 PM   #24

Why do Telcos think they can prosper in content creation?
Vz screwed the pooch with Paramount in the 90s and Huff post/Yahoo/AOL not long ago writing those assets down by over 90% of what it paid. (See T's errors in posts above.)
Stay in your lane and pay your shareholders a dividend.
Old 05-17-2021, 08:32 PM   #25

I was buying it in high 20s and selling north of 30. I'm out of it and glad to be for now.
Montecfo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2021, 11:52 PM   #26
Recycles dryer sheets

The dividend cut will hurt for those with large positions and depending on the income. Should make for an interesting stock chart over the coming months. But maybe a long term positive as they had too much debt and the dividend payout ratio was a big anchor.

But at least the prior CEO Randall Stephenson who helped create the problem can afford to FIRE:
AT&Ts CEO Steps Down With A $64 Million Gold-Plated Retirement Plan
https://www.forbes.com/sites/jackkel...tirement-plan/
triangle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2021, 04:19 AM   #27
Give me a forum ...

Payout under 50%. Less debt. We'll hold, maybe add to position.
It's probably clear now why stock is not a substitute for CD or money market. Yes, more income (for awhile), but more risk.

We use ETFs (SCHD, SPYD, and PGX) in a limited way for income.
target2019 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2021, 05:45 AM   #28
Give me a forum ...

7:45 EDT
I feel like a stooge for selling into the panic but I just dropped my ATT stake. I think long-term the stock will soar but I was in it for the dividend. Time will tell.

I had gained 7% counting yesterday and this mornings futures look like a 4% drop today so I might make break-even.

Good news is that this has been play money (less than 1% of my total portfolio) so if I'm wrong, I'm wrong. Going to go find another 6% payer now.
Old 05-18-2021, 07:29 AM   #29
Full time employment: Posting here.

Down >5% pre-market. Shoulda sold yesterday. Sigh...
24601NoMore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2021, 07:30 AM   #30
Recycles dryer sheets

What profits? HUGE DEBT from stupid DTV and Time Warner purchases
Old 05-18-2021, 07:39 AM   #31
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by marko View Post
My guess is that there is a very large percentage of shareholders who are with them only for the dividend. I'd have to assume there is huge pressure to keep the dividend. IMO there's a 50/50 chance of them keeping it as is.
Pipe dream, I'd trust the CNBC people who worked out the math on AT&T's cryptic dividend announcement. Dividend CUT
JustKickItForward is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2021, 07:48 AM   #32
Recycles dryer sheets

One good thing T had going for them is they have a decent wireless network to move forward with
Old 05-18-2021, 07:52 AM   #33
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by 24601NoMore View Post
I'm actually considering selling T and dumping the proceeds into VZ to increase my currently small holdings in that. Probably not the most well thought out plan, but "feels" right at the gut level.
Why not just get into a dividend focused fund or ETF, let the pros deal with this + diversify against single stock moves like this.
Old 05-18-2021, 07:56 AM   #34
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by leftymd View Post
Mid 2022 expected date of Media Spinoff for T. Annual Div maybe down to $1.16?
So, what actually happens on a spin-off as a shareholder? From the principle invested into a pre-spin off stock, post-spin off, would we have the same amount of $ in total stock owned?
Old 05-18-2021, 08:41 AM   #35

Quote:
Originally Posted by JustKickItForward View Post
Why not just get into a dividend focused fund or ETF, let the pros deal with this + diversify against single stock moves like this.
I already hold VHYAX and SCHD which are both dividend focused - although I do wish I had bought more SCHD than I had before the big run-up this year. T, LUMN, O, WELL, VZ and others are in addition to those holdings but relatively small in terms of # of shares..
24601NoMore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2021, 08:43 AM   #36

Quote:
Originally Posted by triangle View Post
The dividend cut will hurt for those with large positions and depending on the income. Should make for an interesting stock chart over the coming months. But maybe a long term positive as they had too much debt and the dividend payout ratio was a big anchor.

But at least the prior CEO Randall Stephenson who helped create the problem can afford to FIRE:
AT&Ts CEO Steps Down With A $64 Million Gold-Plated Retirement Plan
https://www.forbes.com/sites/jackkel...tirement-plan/
Think that's good wait till you see the goodbye kiss that Warner Media CEO Jason Kilar gets. He made $60 Million plus in 2020 for a job he started May 1. Bet he gets a golden kiss of $100 Million or more once he finalizes his exit.

Working in Hollywood pays very well. Getting fired in Hollywood pays even better!
Old 05-18-2021, 08:53 AM   #37

I'll hold and see how it works out with the split and how many shares of the new company we will get that can then be sold if needed
wmc1000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2021, 05:33 PM   #38

Quote:
Originally Posted by RockyMtn View Post
Think that's good wait till you see the goodbye kiss that Warner Media CEO Jason Kilar gets. He made $60 Million plus in 2020 for a job he started May 1. Bet he gets a golden kiss of $100 Million or more once he finalizes his exit.

Working in Hollywood pays very well. Getting fired in Hollywood pays even better!
Unconscionable!

As for T, I own 160 shares in my IRA.

Monday, May 17, 2021 9:45 AM
$33.71

Tuesday, May 18, 2021 4:00 PM
$29.55

- 12.34%

It's only 2 days, but it sure doesn't look like Wall Street cares for this deal.
Old 05-18-2021, 05:48 PM   #39
Recycles dryer sheets

I have only about 172 shares. Going to hold. Very curious as to what the stake in the new company will look like as we (T holders) are going to receive shares.....some day.....some time......in the distant future.........hopefully
erkevin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2021, 05:58 PM   #40
Give me a forum ...

This stock was pumped up in the last month.
And the price today is not much lower than 30 days ago.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Capture.JPG (30.1 KB, 24 views)
target2019 is offline   Reply With Quote