Berkshire is down 25% from its March 31 high

Tell me about it.

All of my stocks took a drubbing last week.

Still, my oil and gas guys are the only shining spots when you look at YTD performance. XOM +40.74% YTD, OXY 92.07%, TNK 64.77%, etc...

And that's after last week drop of as much as -14% on the above stocks. Yes, profit takers bailing out. Fine with me. I am not selling. If it were not for energy stocks, I would be deeper in the red.

PS. Yes, I do have a position in BRK. A bit less than 2% of portfolio or so.

Last edited:
Some stocks are up for the year - and not just O&G.

Like 4 or 5 more outside of O&G? :D

PS. Maybe I should wait for O&G to also turn red. That would be a sign of capitulation for us to deploy our cash. No?

Disney is not one of them! :D

I wonder why?

1st daughter and her "brood" are dumping a fortune there as we speak. She wondered if next year we could have a family reunion there. I politely declined.

I wonder why?

1st daughter and her "brood" are dumping a fortune there as we speak. She wondered if next year we could have a family reunion there. I politely declined.

Florida politics - got cross with the Gov. Plus, lots of bad press, pending recession blues, on and on. The stock is down 40% YTD.

So many stocks on sale, so little money... Heh heh heh...

PS. Just logged into my brokerage and looked at the cash balance of our accounts. There were many puts assigned on Friday, but I got too weary to add them up.

The screen said "Pending Activity" totaled -$109,725 for my and my wife's accounts.

I really need to lay off selling put options now. I really mean it this time.

So many stocks on sale, so little money... Heh heh heh...

PS. Just logged into my brokerage and looked at the cash balance of our accounts. There were many puts assigned on Friday, but I got too weary to add them up.

The screen said "Pending Activity" totaled -$109,725 for my and my wife's accounts.

I really need to lay off selling put options now. I really mean it this time.

Be certain to check back with your 12-step sponsor next week!

Be certain to check back with your 12-step sponsor next week!

Only selling call options from now on.

The market is going to move up, and my strategy has always been "sell calls when market up / sell puts when market down".

It's only going up from here, you'll see.

PS. I counted 43 call contracts expiring worthless. The money I made from them calls pales besides the puts that lost me money. Consolation prize.

Last edited:
I forgot something.

In case people do not know, the -$109,725 is not the money I lost. It's the value of all the stocks that my assigned put options had me buy.

And because the market price has dropped below the strike prices, I lost money, but it's not $109K. I paid $109K for stocks that may be worth only $95K.

The loss is reduced by the option premium. I am too lazy to add it all up. It is what it is.

Last edited:
BRK is a funny stock in that people get down on it during good times because it's not generally shooting up sharply, like these last ten years. I've read many "Has Buffet lost his touch?" articles. I like that. Because to me that indicates it may be undervalued. When the stuff hits the fan (might that happen someday?) Buffet is going to go on a buying spree. And if there's anyone I trust on a buying spree during hard times, it's him. Time will tell.

Though I own some BRK, I never look to see what's in it. I figure it's a conservative holding, and while I don't expect it to really outperform the S&P over the long run, I hope it will weather downturns better than the S&P. Will see how it does in this bear market. I did not know it's so much Apple. 42%! OK, good thing I don't own any Apple stock in addition.

As promised (threatened?), I sold a lot of call options today. 37 contracts to be exact, netting me $2500. Expiry on this Friday 6/24, except for a few on 7/15.

The futures are down as I write this. So, I will not get a chance to sell any more options. That's it. Back to the bear market. Down we go.

No Apple is 42% of Berkshire's investment portfolio. Berkshire's investment portfolio is roughly 1/3 of the value of the company. The majority of the value of Buffett's baby isn't the stock it is the 40 odd companies he owns outright.
Everything from railroad giant BNSF, to Geico insurance, small guys like See's Candy, Dairy Queen and hosts of others.

A couple of days before the bottom of the 2009 market, I wrote post on here detailing why I thought Berkshire was a super safe bet, and was all but certain to be a lot more valuable in a couple of year than it was currently trade for. Berkshire is my largest individual holding

I think Berkshire valuation is starting to get attractive. But, I'm no where near calling a bottom for Berkshire yet.

He may have a couple more years left in him...:D Maybe he's on a low carb diet and only uses good cooking oil! :)

Apparently not on a diet of See's Candy and Diet Coke like The Oracle.

Berkshire is down 25% from its March 31 high

Nobody is riding high right now.

Perspective, context!

Look at this link - set it to one year, and then scroll back so it ends at ~ 30MARCH2022.

BRK is ~ +38% compared to VTI ~15%. So BRK can drop more than VTI from that point, and still be ahead over the longer term.

For 1 year to 21JUNE2022, BRK outperforms VTI ~-2% vs ~-14%.
Go back to 1999, BRK leads the way almost all the time.

Those charts include divs (for VTI, BRK is no divs).

-ERD50

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom