Join Early Retirement Today

Best Source for Accurate Annual Historical ETF/Fund Returns?
Old 08-09-2020, 08:24 AM   #1
Full time employment: Posting here.

Best Source for Accurate Annual Historical ETF/Fund Returns?

So I want to do some simple side by side annual comparisons of individual ET/Fund performance and it seems like every source I look at has different calculations for "Total Return". Example: I was looking up YTD Total Return for PGX... Bloomberg says 1.01%, Schwab says 1.22%, and Yahoo says -1.9%. I like how Yahoo provides a year by year historical return, which is what I am ideally looking for, but can I trust the numbers? Is there a reliable source out there to extract this info? You would think it would be a simple math equation which would produce consistent numbers, but apparently not.
DawgMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-09-2020, 08:26 AM   #2

the 1.01% is day end; the 1.22% is month end.
Old 08-09-2020, 08:35 AM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by braumeister View Post
the 1.01% is day end; the 1.22% is month end.
Good catch, however, if I dig further into Yahoo's numbers it appears they are saying the return was -3.34% YTD (end of month). It still begs the question what site out there is reliable?
Old 08-09-2020, 09:48 AM   #4

I always use Morningstar.
Old 08-09-2020, 10:17 AM   #5

Quote:
I always use Morningstar.
Thanks. I looked on Morningstar, but did not see where they provide a historical annual (by year) total return which is ideally what I was looking for. To my earlier point, comparing Yahoo, https://finance.yahoo.com/quote/PGX/performance?p=PGX , to a site called ETFrepaly, https://www.etfreplay.com/etf/pgx.aspx , you can see they both provide what I am looking for, but different values?? Shouldn't this be consistent as it is based on a basic mathematical equation?? While these 2 sites are close, some years are off by as much as 1% in total return. Is there a way to get Morningstar to show by year?
Old 08-09-2020, 10:25 AM   #6

I guess I don't understand. The M* page looks to me like it gives that.

https://www.morningstar.com/etfs/arcx/pgx/performance

Screen Shot 2020-08-09 at 12.24.29 PM.png
Old 08-09-2020, 10:29 AM   #7
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

The only way to know for sure is to download historical price and dividend data. Then determine if Yahoo reinvests dividends, and make a calculation of YTD performance.

I hold PGX, but never had much interest in YTD for one holding. I see why accuracy is important for your needs.
target2019 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2020, 10:33 AM   #8

Quote:
I guess I don't understand. The M* page looks to me like it gives that.

https://www.morningstar.com/etfs/arcx/pgx/performance

Attachment 35896
I stand corrected, not sure how I missed that. And I also now see where the values are off. It appears one site is calculating total return on price and the other NAV. Confusing, none the less.

Thanks.
Old 08-09-2020, 10:48 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by target2019 View Post
The only way to know for sure is to download historical price and dividend data. Then determine if Yahoo reinvests dividends, and make a calculation of YTD performance.

I hold PGX, but never had much interest in YTD for one holding. I see why accuracy is important for your needs.
I have held an allocation of PGX in my fixed allocation during accumulation and still plan keeping some once I start withdrawals. I am transitioning to withdrawal mode now and plan on implementing a "bucket overlay" on my AA so as I assign certain ETFs/funds to my buckets based on certain risk profiles, I wanted to do an historical year by year performance comparison of my fixed holdings next to my equity allocations to see their respective returns/volatility to help further define how I want to stack my fixed bucket (up to 10 yrs of spending). Just 1 more check & balance to get the warm fuzzes on my holdings.
Old 08-09-2020, 11:05 AM   #10
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by DawgMan View Post
I have held an allocation of PGX in my fixed allocation during accumulation and still plan keeping some once I start withdrawals. I am transitioning to withdrawal mode now and plan on implementing a "bucket overlay" on my AA so as I assign certain ETFs/funds to my buckets based on certain risk profiles, I wanted to do an historical year by year performance comparison of my fixed holdings next to my equity allocations to see their respective returns/volatility to help further define how I want to stack my fixed bucket (up to 10 yrs of spending). Just 1 more check & balance to get the warm fuzzes on my holdings.
Yahoo historical has dividend data to help you with that income estimate month by month.

I could kick myself for not watching more closely in March. I could have added PGX at a significant discount.
target2019 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2020, 12:31 PM   #11
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by DawgMan View Post
So I want to do some simple side by side annual comparisons of individual ET/Fund performance and it seems like every source I look at has different calculations for "Total Return". Example: I was looking up YTD Total Return for PGX... Bloomberg says 1.01%, Schwab says 1.22%, and Yahoo says -1.9%. I like how Yahoo provides a year by year historical return, which is what I am ideally looking for, but can I trust the numbers? Is there a reliable source out there to extract this info? You would think it would be a simple math equation which would produce consistent numbers, but apparently not.
I like Portfolio Visualizer.

https://www.portfoliovisualizer.com/...nalysisResults

Retired Jan 2012 at age 56
pb4uski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2020, 02:04 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by pb4uski View Post
Looks like a great tool, thanks!