Join Early Retirement Today

Better than bitcoin: NFT
Old 02-28-2021, 08:45 PM   #1
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Better than bitcoin: NFT

This blows my mind. NFT = non-fungible token. I.e., bitcoin-like things that can't be used as currency.

Anybody can mint one. And then you can associate it with some digital asset, like a GIF. The idea being that you "own" it and then can sell it to somebody else.

One just sold for > $6 million.

https://www.artnews.com/art-news/new...le-1234584701/
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-01-2021, 02:31 AM   #2
Recycles dryer sheets

I'm thinking NFTs are the new baseball card (sorta). I mean, ultimately baseball cards are just a picture of a player on paper, and can trade for $$$. NFT is sorta kinda just the digital version.
clobber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2021, 03:18 AM   #3

I am fascinated by NFT's. I have yet to see one I would want to own, especially at the *insane* prices they are currently getting, but it really is the birth of digital art collection. I hope that as time goes on the artists get more creative in making the NFT version much more unique, perhaps including some physical aspect.

OR - picture this. You buy an NFT (say, this special animated version of the infamous Nyan Cat https://www.nytimes.com/2021/02/22/b...ot-crypto.html ) and, since you spent almost $600,000 on it, you want to show it off. But how do you do that w/ a digital object?

Well, you need a screen. So I imagine a special frame, like the one your mom uses to display a series of images of the grandkids. You put it on the wall, and all it does is show your Nyan Cat animation 24/7. Include a note explaining its provenance. Voila, digital meets real world.

In all seriousness, it won't be long before Christie's and Sotheby's, Lloyd's, etc. get in on this. Too much money bypassing them right now...
dixonge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2021, 06:37 AM   #4

If your looking around the table wondering who the mark is, it is probably you. Think expensive beanie babys.............
Old 03-01-2021, 07:25 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by dixonge View Post
I am fascinated by NFT's. I have yet to see one I would want to own, especially at the *insane* prices they are currently getting, but it really is the birth of digital art collection. I hope that as time goes on the artists get more creative in making the NFT version much more unique, perhaps including some physical aspect.

OR - picture this. You buy an NFT (say, this special animated version of the infamous Nyan Cat https://www.nytimes.com/2021/02/22/b...ot-crypto.html ) and, since you spent almost $600,000 on it, you want to show it off. But how do you do that w/ a digital object?

Well, you need a screen. So I imagine a special frame, like the one your mom uses to display a series of images of the grandkids. You put it on the wall, and all it does is show your Nyan Cat animation 24/7. Include a note explaining its provenance. Voila, digital meets real world.

In all seriousness, it won't be long before Christie's and Sotheby's, Lloyd's, etc. get in on this. Too much money bypassing them right now...

Christie’s sold the Beeple one in the OP link.
bmcgonig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2021, 07:40 AM   #6

Quote:
If you get past the fact that it's digital, and look at it as owning art, then it's not that crazy. Though...$6m for anything seems crazy to me, so insane-headline prices notwithstanding. It's equivalent to physical art in that sense, and that's where it becomes rational.

Just another medium, good for artists I hope.
Aerides is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2021, 07:48 AM   #7

The difference is that the art is digital. You don't get exclusive rights to hang it on the wall. Anybody could "pirate" a copy and it would be identical. You're paying for the token.

I can sort of see it for something like domain names, which have some utility value and exclusive-use attributes.

I still have some good domain names I got in the 1990's. I may experiment with one of these newfangled marketplaces.
Old 03-01-2021, 07:54 AM   #8
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by twaddle View Post
The difference is that the art is digital. You don't get exclusive rights to hang it on the wall. Anybody could "pirate" a copy and it would be identical. You're paying for the token.

I can sort of see it for something like domain names, which have some utility value and exclusive-use attributes.

I still have some good domain names I got in the 1990's. I may experiment with one of these newfangled marketplaces.

From the OP's article:

Quote:
The buyers are usually not acquiring copyrights, trademarks or even the sole ownership of whatever it is they purchase. They’re buying bragging rights and the knowledge that their copy is the “authentic” one....

Quite expensive bragging rights! And who do they brag to, and about what?

"Hey, look how rich I am to blow dough on something like this?"

I guess this happens when people run out of more useful things they can buy, like food and housing, even fancy cars. When everybody you know already has a million-dollar Hermes handbag, you need something like this to be one-upper.

"Those Who Can Make You Believe Absurdities Can Make You Commit Atrocities" - Voltaire (1694-1778)
NW-Bound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2021, 05:02 PM   #9
Give me a forum ...

These are just signs of the asset bubble we are currently in. I saw Mark Cuban on YouTube video explaining these. First of all they need a better name. Some of the insane prices are for things like a video collage of Labron James dunks. You can still find and watch these scenes on conventional media but there is irrational exuberance for this new digital “thing”. OTOH if it’s original art the artist can benefit from a perpetual residual each time it changes hands which seems like a real benefit.
Old 03-01-2021, 05:05 PM   #10

There was another big one today. $5.8 million for a picture of a baby on Mars.

Made by Elon Musk's girlfriend.

I suspect Elon Musk is the only buyer, and only when he's stoned.
Old 03-01-2021, 06:46 PM   #11

"33 unique items for a total of $11,684,101."

https://edm.com/gear-tech/3lau-record-breaking-nft-sale
Old 03-05-2021, 07:31 PM   #12

The moment you've been waiting for.... You can now buy autographed-tweet-NFT's.

https://v.cent.co/tweet/20
Old 03-06-2021, 01:15 PM   #13
Give me a forum ...

There were a couple of news stories on back to back days (I think, getting my days confused) on CBS News. Digital basketball rights (I think called jumpshot) and also digital art. I guess both are what people will pay to own the bragging rights.

Don't know if this is just a fad or more. But I guess, if you own stocks, do they even give out certificates anymore? So perhaps not really that different.
Old 03-10-2021, 09:02 PM   #14
Recycles dryer sheets

One can see how digital signatures, blockchain, and related technology has many potential uses in the digital domain and as related to physical objects. But when applied to the digital representation of a text message or artwork it seems irrelevant. A separate token to indicate that my copy is somehow special when compared to yours? The copies are the same, we can enjoy our individual copies irrespective of each other. I only have a partial understanding of NFT and must be missing something, but the example of digital artwork just seems like a way to display one's wealth.
triangle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2021, 09:09 PM   #15

Blockchain is the dot com of the 2020's. This will all eventually work itself out into something useful and ubiquitous. In the meantime, be careful out there. A lot of people lost a lot of money being early adopters of dot com stuff back in the late 90's.
Old 03-11-2021, 02:45 AM   #16
Full time employment: Posting here.

I imagine they are easy to buy, but much harder to re-sell since they are so unique and non-fungible. They do fill a need though, to give digital art a legitimate provenance - and an opportunity for the same level of monetization as physical art. People are endlessly creative at finding new markets for things. It will be interesting to see how this hot new trend shakes out in the end, and where the money flows.

It's a great technology innovation for artists and creators, but probably a crap shoot investment for anyone but the biggest insiders. For some reason The Producers comes to mind...

It reminds me of what Banksy is doing with his work and his rights managements company, Pest Control. His is a genius way to control the flood of potential counterfeits that are bound to occur with such a prolific and enigmatic artist. NFTs are the logical and creatively agnostic extension of that activity.
Starsky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2021, 06:12 PM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by Starsky View Post
I imagine they are easy to buy, but much harder to re-sell since they are so unique and non-fungible.

"And last month, one of the NFTs that originally sold for $66,666.66 was resold for $6.6 million."

https://www.theverge.com/2021/3/11/2...ays-69-million
Old 03-12-2021, 12:35 AM   #18
Full time employment: Posting here.

Quote:
"And last month, one of the NFTs that originally sold for $66,666.66 was resold for $6.6 million."

https://www.theverge.com/2021/3/11/2...ays-69-million
Yeah, but which one? This is one way auction houses are developing a new revenue stream to sell their rich clients. It's an insider's game.
Starsky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2021, 06:54 PM   #19
Recycles dryer sheets

This is definitely a hot topic, whenever I switch on CNBC channel app there is a new segment about NFT. I watched this interview with NBA Topshot investor Michael Levy, and he made an analogy to the Mickey Mantle baseball card that recently sold for 5.2 million. How he could produce a near replica of this 5 million dollar card using modern printing technology. Although I could see his point, I still disagree with that premise, as a digital image is a logical stream of bits, so it is always the same by definition. Whether it is stored in computer memory, flash drive, or replicated a billion times across the internet. Still it will be interesting to see where the technology can go beyond tagging tweets or Jpegs. (Including the video as a reference, not suggesting anyone should watch it.)

triangle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2021, 03:19 PM   #20
Recycles dryer sheets

.. and then there's this...

https://www.foxbusiness.com/lifestyl...not-live-in-it