Calling all dirty bottom fishers, your stock shopping list ?

Buy, buy, buy...

I don't care what you buy. Just buy, and buy often.

The more you buy, the more we will all win.

NWB - Are you OK? :confused:

Thanks for your concern, but I am quite OK.

I have done my share of buying, a bit too early.

Now, it's you guys' turn. :)

Buy, buy, buy...

PS. Just imagine if the whole world clicks on "buy". Would the market not immediately jump to infinity if there were no seller? Would not everyone win? :)

I was joking earlier. In case somebody missed it, I will elaborate a bit here.

For a play on a market bounce, anything can do. One can just get the index, or looks for stocks that were beaten down bad for a dead-cat bounce.

For longer-term holdings, it takes some work to look. I could not help noticing that forward P/E's are still all over the place. Many stocks now have single-digit forward P/Es including technology stocks and many biotechs, while some like Amazon and Netflix numbers are still in the 50s. But then, some people will say that it's futile, that future prospects are already built-in to the prices.

Last edited:
Beware the dead cat bounce. I'm not saying it will happen but it could .

A dead cat bounce is a temporary recovery from a prolonged decline or a bear market that is followed by the continuation of the downtrend..........
The name "dead cat bounce" is based on the notion that even a dead cat will bounce if it falls far enough and fast enough.

I'm not sure I want to see either version of the bounce.

No individual stock purchases but........................

Earlier this year, I realized my taxable brokerage account at Fidelity, which is 'mostly' for income, could use a little small cap exposure.

Did a little bit of research, & decided if/when the market started acting like it's been acting lately, I'd start nibbling at this.
IWN: ISHARES RUSSELL 2000 VALUE ETF

Bought 20 shares on
12/20/2018
12/21/2018
12/24/2018

Beware the dead cat bounce. I'm not saying it will happen but it could .

I'm not sure I want to see either version of the bounce.

Now, that the market has fallen, you prefer to see it go "Splat!" like a pancake, with no bounce whatsoever? :LOL:

Last edited:
Mine was Gilead at $61 and it is already rebounded to $64.

Celgene was an excellent buy at $59 if anyone caught that. It is $66 today.

I like PETS where it is at 22.5 or so. Nice little business with a clean balance sheet and a decent dividend yield. I don't think people will stop buying flea and tick medicine for their pets anytime soon.

A very competitive market, but they seem to be holding their own.

Mine was Gilead at $61 and it is already rebounded to $64.

Celgene was an excellent buy at $59 if anyone caught that. It is $66 today.
Heh.... and a day later it's $80 and change with an offer to buy out at around $89. Those who got in yesterday did very well :)

Heh.... and a day later it's $80 and change with an offer to buy out at around $89. Those who got in yesterday did very well :)

I didn't do that well, having bought it late Nov at $67.xx , but still sold it today for a nice profit of $16.xx per share.

Wish I had bought more than 100, but still happy with my quick ~ $1,600 profit.

I like PETS where it is at 22.5 or so. Nice little business with a clean balance sheet and a decent dividend yield. I don't think people will stop buying flea and tick medicine for their pets anytime soon.

A very competitive market, but they seem to be holding their own.

Interesting choice. And interesting to see the share price shoot up in mid-2017 and now decline yet revenue and earnings outlook remains sold.

P/E looked unusually high for 2017 into 2018, now seems low compared to the early historical trend (17x), now under 11x, and 2 of their quarters are already booked, and their 3q and 4q doesn't seem overly aggressive. And as you mention, decent dividend and has grown historically year over year. More due diligence on this one, but I like it at face value.

I didn't do that well, having bought it late Nov at $67.xx , but still sold it today for a nice profit of $16.xx per share.

Wish I had bought more than 100, but still happy with my quick ~ $1,600 profit.

Yep, nice win. And sure, now you wish you could have bought more than 100 shares, but just think you could have bought 100 shares of AAPL instead and lost $1,600. Be happy with the win! :)

Last edited:
Here's some recent ones I've been nibbling at/ lost fingers as the knives slice through them on the way down:

OLED @ 84.62 (now 82.96). Have some of this already, and had traded some of it out for a profit at a higher price. Establishing my prior position. Trend to use of OLED screens on high end phones continues. While they will be hurt if the economy caves, the screen technology is quite beautiful and hopefully the technology will work its way into lower cost phones.

Update on this one. Earnings reported yesterday along with upbeat guidance. Stock had already risen from the December slaughter, I sold a bit along the way but still hold some. Stock was up 23%+ ($27.29) today to close at $145.72. Lightened up a bit more too early (at $129.xx) today. All in all, up $62.76 since my earlier post (+75.7%) so I will take it. Also traded it a couple of times for small gains during the interim.

Now, on the other hand, my increased position in Activision (ATVI) isn't doing so hot, down 26% on initial (small) position and down another 14% on a second position.

Wow, OLED went from 83 to 145. I looked at it after you mentioned it, but passed it up for some reason.

None of my "hot stocks" are this hot. The best of mine are just sizzling. This one is white hot.

Back
Top Bottom