Portal Forums Links Register FAQ Community Calendar Log in

Join Early Retirement Today

Calling all dirty bottom fishers, your stock shopping list ?
Old 12-24-2018, 11:49 AM   #1
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Calling all dirty bottom fishers, your stock shopping list ?

Ok you bottom fishers, the year end clearance sale has started. Post your shopping list, buy in price target and reason to buy the company shares.
Lakewood90712 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-24-2018, 11:57 AM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lakewood90712 View Post
Ok you bottom fishers, the year end clearance sale has started. Post your shopping list, buy in price target and reason to buy the company shares.
AAPL-$80- Show up those "Nebraska Boys"!
NYEXPAT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2018, 12:19 PM   #3
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Not buying individual company stocks. I'm just buying relatively broad market index funds ... either US large-caps or US small-caps. I will switch to foreign index funds next week if they drop even more.

Portfolio is down about mid-6-figures and I've bought an additional mid-6-figures in equity shares the past few days. Those can go to 7-figures and I will keep on keeping on.
LOL! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2018, 03:17 PM   #4
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
VZ CMCSA T MDT CSCO

JNJ ABBV BMY ADM FLO F IP PKG XOM EQNR

BX BXMT HTA O DUK SO

FOXA AMP ABC INTC

PGX SCHD VNQI ENZL
Some more than others...
target2019 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2018, 03:50 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by target2019 View Post
Some more than others...
PGX , Has the div. stayed at about the same amount ( not % ) over the last few years ?
Lakewood90712 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2018, 04:29 PM   #6

TCEHY-30ish- Tencent music IPO, Fortnite Chinese release, No tariff exposure,One of the worlds best balance sheets!
NYEXPAT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2018, 04:30 PM   #7

Here's some recent ones I've been nibbling at/ lost fingers as the knives slice through them on the way down:

TWTR @ 29.21 (now 26.43). Had played it before (made a small profit), back to take another bite. Less issues than FB or GOOG regarding data privacy, more traffic because of all the controversies. Might have been helped by election ad revenue.

OLED @ 84.62 (now 82.96). Have some of this already, and had traded some of it out for a profit at a higher price. Establishing my prior position. Trend to use of OLED screens on high end phones continues. While they will be hurt if the economy caves, the screen technology is quite beautiful and hopefully the technology will work its way into lower cost phones.

I spent some time actually trying to do back of the envelope calculations on money I've put into/taken out of the market over the last couple of years, partially as a way to 'comfort' myself regarding the beating I've recently taken in the market. I was somewhat fortunate when my largest non-mutual fund holding was taken over - mostly in cash in 2017. For whatever reason, I decided to not reinvest most of that money but instead put it in CD's. This year, while I thought the market would get to new highs (past February) and was correct (well, at least for a little while), I still did sell off some holdings. Offsetting some of that is the fact that in my post retirement job, I utilize their tax deferred plan (457) to the max amount - and all of that went into equities.

Net net I took out of the market about $100K in 2017 and $150K in 2018, and have close to 25% of my total net worth in cash. So that has me sleeping better at night (but I am down $450K plus from the peak which isn't so nice).

I do think it is time to start to make a real shopping list of companies which have good dividend coverage and financials - not because I think we've hit bottom (who knows), but at some point valuations become ridiculously cheap (for companies with solid earnings). For example, Apple at this point is something like 10X after adjusting for cash. It seems like the market is already pricing in quite a bad drop off in iPhone sales...don't know but I don't think the company is ready to fold. This is as compared to my two examples above which I am just trying to trade.

It was actually *good* that the safety plays (things like P&G and the utilities) were hit hard today. In the end, all must die before we can bottom - and that includes the last man standing plays.
copyright1997reloaded is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2018, 05:28 PM   #8
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
How dare you call those (?my ) trusty computers on full auto dirty bottom fishers. I'm sure they bathe on a regular basis - computer wise that is.

Auto re-balancing since 2006 for retirement(real) money.

Hmmm - Saint's and Huskies each having had a good season, male hormones being what they is. May just may look at 'a few good stocks'.

heh heh heh - No candidates yet, BUT I will be watching this thread.
unclemick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2018, 05:33 PM   #9
Moderator Emeritus

Bottom fishing will start when there is blood in the streets. Just like last time. And, remember, computer trading runs the market direction. Not us lowly retail pleebs.
Old 12-24-2018, 05:43 PM   #10
Give me a forum ...

Buy, buy, buy...

I don't care what you buy. Just buy, and buy often.

The more you buy, the more we will all win.

"Those Who Can Make You Believe Absurdities Can Make You Commit Atrocities" - Voltaire (1694-1778)
NW-Bound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2018, 05:48 PM   #11
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by NW-Bound View Post
Buy, buy, buy...

I don't care what you buy. Just buy, and buy often.

The more you buy, the more we will all win.
NWB - Are you OK?
Old 12-24-2018, 05:51 PM   #12
Give me a forum ...

Thanks for your concern, but I am quite OK.

I have done my share of buying, a bit too early.

Now, it's you guys' turn.

Buy, buy, buy...

PS. Just imagine if the whole world clicks on "buy". Would the market not immediately jump to infinity if there were no seller? Would not everyone win?

"Those Who Can Make You Believe Absurdities Can Make You Commit Atrocities" - Voltaire (1694-1778)
Old 12-24-2018, 06:33 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by aja8888 View Post
Bottom fishing will start when there is blood in the streets. Just like last time.

+1. It's still way too early.
RAE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2018, 06:53 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by RAE View Post
+1. It's still way too early.
So, how low do we go?
copyright1997reloaded is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2018, 06:58 PM   #15
Give me a forum ...

When some posters here talk about going back to work?

Quote:
Originally Posted by aja8888 View Post
Bottom fishing will start when there is blood in the streets. Just like last time. And, remember, computer trading runs the market direction. Not us lowly retail pleebs.
A lot of that blood was our own.

Old 12-24-2018, 07:24 PM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by copyright1997reloaded View Post
So, how low do we go?

Your guess is as good (or probably better) than mine, but I think we're getting into a fear/shock mindset now, especially with the less-experienced investor crowd, so there almost has to be more selling ahead. Running_Man, on another thread, is calling for an S&P low of 1200 by sometime next year. That may sound extreme to many, but he's made some pretty good calls in the past, so I wouldn't bet against something like that happening.

I should disclose that I am mostly out of equities these days, and I am not looking to get back into equities in a big way anytime soon. So I don't have a big personal stake in what happens or doesn't happen with the markets.
RAE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2018, 01:09 AM   #17
Give me a forum ...

Here is my list. I've entered orders to sell 2020 puts at these strike prices with premium generally double of the current ask.

Facebook 80
Apple 100
Google 900
Amazon 950
JP Morgan 60
PG 50
clifp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2018, 07:03 AM   #18
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
PGX , Has the div. stayed at about the same amount ( not % ) over the last few years ?
Dividend once a month. Historical dividend can be fetched from Yahoo Finance. On PGX page, look at Historical data, dividends only by using the pull down menu called Show.
target2019 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2018, 07:08 AM   #19
Give me a forum ...

There will be a test of the bottom and retest and...plenty of time to buy.
COcheesehead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2018, 07:37 AM   #20
Full time employment: Posting here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYEXPAT View Post
AAPL-$80- Show up those "Nebraska Boys"!
Apple is definitely on my watch list also.
garyt is offline   Reply With Quote