CD's and FDIC Insurance

COZICAN

Recycles dryer sheets
How do you feel about laddering 5 $200K CD's at a institution such as Fidelity when the total account is only insured for $250K? Am I wrong?

Coz

How do you feel about laddering 5 $200K CD's at a institution such as Fidelity when the total account is only insured for $250K? Am I wrong?

Coz

Yes, you are wrong. Up to $250k issued by any single bank is insured, so if you have 5 $200k CDs from 5 different banks the you would be fully insured.

You could have $10 million at Fidelity and it would be fully insured as long as any single bank didn't have more than $250k.

So it matters not that they are in one account at Fidelity rather they were issued by 5 different banks? Thank you for your response. I held on the phone with Fidelity for longer than it took you to respond.

The only time to be concerned about FDIC insurance is if the broker has its own bank (as Schwab does), and issues its own CDs. Then you would want to limit your investment in their CDs to the FDIC limit of $250k.

The only time to be concerned about FDIC insurance is if the broker has its own bank (as Schwab does), and issues its own CDs. Then you would want to limit your investment in their CDs to the FDIC limit of $250k.
That is a very good point, IMO. And that is the main reason I haven't bought any Schwab CD's in my IRA brokerage or bank accounts there.

Last edited:

Why is that? Which other brokers have banks? (BofA/Merrill ?)

I don't get the difference. Don't you need to limit your investment in ANY bank's CDs to the $250k FDIC limits to be covered whether the bank is owned by the public, owned by a brokerage or owned by a bunch of bozos?

Last edited:
That is a very good point, IMO. And that is the main reason I haven't bought any Schwab CD's in my IRA brokerage or bank accounts there.
I don't think it is a good point at all. Please elaborate as to why it is. I have Schwab Bank CDs in my brokerage accounts... but under the $250k FDIC limits.

I don't think it is a good point at all. Please elaborate as to why it is. I have Schwab Bank CDs in my brokerage accounts... but under the $250k FDIC limits.

And if held in joint accounts, it’s $250,000 per person listed on the account. I believe even beneficiaries get $250,000 each insurance coverage. Trust accounts add even more coverage with trustees and beneficiaries covered.

I don't get the difference. Don't you need to limit your investment in ANY bank's CDs to the $250k FDIC limits to be covered whether the bank is owned by the public, owned by a brokerage or owned by a bunch of bozos?
Yes, you do. But one poster asked a question about whether the FDIC covered CDs bought through a broker. My response was just to caution that if their broker has their own bank and issues CDs, the FDIC limit still applies.

- Rita

I have several "accounts" at Schwab. "In one" of those accounts I typically keep 250k+ in cash (for quick investment opportunities, which could be just about anything), and lot's of CD's from other banks. I'm not concerned at all with the CD's/FDIC from the other banks that I have in that account. However, it's not clear to me how the FDIC would view a "250k CD from Schwab" sitting in that account along with the all the cash I keep there. I haven't given it a lot of thought since there are so many other CD options to buy. Probably not an issue but as I say, with so many other options I just opt for those. YMMV

Last edited:
Fidelity states CD’s are covered by FDIC by the issuing bank. Secondly, Fidelity has extended SIPC coverage “customer limit of $1.9 million on coverage of cash awaiting investment.”
Link to this info https://www.fidelity.com/why-fidelity/safeguarding-your-accounts

Ditto for Schwab
https://www.schwab.com/legal/accoun...ance provides,are protected by FDIC insurance.

"CDs you purchase through Schwab are aggregated with other deposits you hold at each issuing institution and are FDIC-insured up to $250,000 per bank. "

Last edited:
Yes, you do. But one poster asked a question about whether the FDIC covered CDs bought through a broker. My response was just to caution that if their broker has their own bank and issues CDs, the FDIC limit still applies.

- Rita
PGO

Back
Top Bottom