Join Early Retirement Today

Changes at Vanguard
Old 07-13-2017, 04:34 PM   #1
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Changes at Vanguard

Don't know this impact any of us directly. Maybe we get a new member?

From the attached:

Vanguard Group, the world's largest mutual fund manager, said on Thursday Chief Executive Bill McNabb will step down at the end of the year and be replaced by Chief Investment Officer Tim Buckley, betting on the internal successor to oversee rapid growth.

McNabb, 60, who took the CEO job in 2008, will remain chairman of the Pennsylvania company where he oversaw massive inflows to its low-cost products, including index funds, after steering the company through the financial crisis.

Vanguard's CEO Bill McNabb Is Stepping Down | Fortune.com
MRG is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-13-2017, 04:42 PM   #2
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

I just read my email, Im voting no on him, and if they let me Im writing myself in
Withdrawal Rate currently zero, Pension 137 % of our spending, Wasted 5 years of my prime working extra for a safe withdrawal rate. I can live like a King for a year, or a Prince for the rest of my life. I will stay on topic, I will stay on topic, I will stay on topic
Blue Collar Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2017, 05:06 PM   #3

Was he forced out?
Fedup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2017, 05:08 PM   #4
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blue Collar Guy View Post
I just read my email, Im voting no on him, and if they let me Im writing myself in
Why?
"At times the world can seem an unfriendly and sinister place, but believe us when we say there is much more good in it than bad. All you have to do is look hard enough, and what might seem to be a series of unfortunate events, may in fact be the first steps of a journey." Violet Baudelaire.
SecondCor521 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2017, 05:19 PM   #5
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fedup View Post
Was he forced out?
You know what I do.

The announcement said he's staying on the board. I'd guess all parties are happy.
MRG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2017, 05:28 PM   #6
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by MRG View Post
.... replaced by Chief Investment Officer Tim Buckley.......
I'm delighted to hear that Tim Buckley is still alive. Loved his music in the 70's
travelover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2017, 05:41 PM   #7
Moderator Emeritus

I saw that email and was concerned, at first. But it also said that McNabb took the job in 2008, and I don't recall any earthshaking changes at Vanguard in 2008.

Let's hope the same is true this time.

It said that McNabb is 60. I don't know about the rest of you, but when I was 60 I already had an intense desire to either retire or to lessen my workload by stepping down to a position of lesser responsibility, had that been possible. My guess is that this is the reason why he is stepping down from the CEO position.

Happily retired since 2009, at age 61. Best years of my life by far!
W2R is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2017, 05:50 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by W2R View Post
McNabb took the job in 2008
So the last time Vanguard changed the top guy there was a big financial meltdown. Now they're doing it again. Hmmm...
Old 07-13-2017, 06:19 PM   #9
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by braumeister View Post
So the last time Vanguard changed the top guy there was a big financial meltdown. Now they're doing it again. Hmmm...

LOL.... good one...

This is basically a nothing burger as some would say... I do not see them every getting someone at the top who was not into the philosophy of Vanguard...

I read it and deleted it pretty quickly....
Texas Proud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2017, 06:56 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by SecondCor521 View Post
Why?
If Im elected head of Vanguard, Ill show the rest of the investing world that the majority members on this forum are index investors , If they want to join our ranks they should invest with Vanguard and retire like us . I also wrote myself in for Supreme Court Judge on the last General election. I didnt trust those scanning machines. But low and behold 1 vote was tabulated for the BCG. It was a close race, I think the winner got 11,000 Im on page 16 http://vote.nyc.ny.us/downloads/pdf/...ct%20Recap.pdf
Withdrawal Rate currently zero, Pension 137 % of our spending, Wasted 5 years of my prime working extra for a safe withdrawal rate. I can live like a King for a year, or a Prince for the rest of my life. I will stay on topic, I will stay on topic, I will stay on topic
Old 07-13-2017, 08:01 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by MRG View Post
Maybe we get a new member?
He should be shunned for pushing active funds.

Old 07-13-2017, 09:02 PM   #12
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
It was a close race, I think the winner got 11,000 Im on page 16 http://vote.nyc.ny.us/downloads/pdf/...ct%20Recap.pdf
You're John Cena?
"At times the world can seem an unfriendly and sinister place, but believe us when we say there is much more good in it than bad. All you have to do is look hard enough, and what might seem to be a series of unfortunate events, may in fact be the first steps of a journey." Violet Baudelaire.
SecondCor521 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2017, 09:03 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by SecondCor521 View Post
You're John Cena?
If you scroll, you will see some people that are dead got more write in votes than I did.
Old 07-17-2017, 08:43 AM   #14
Full time employment: Posting here.

Quote:
If Im elected head of Vanguard, Ill show the rest of the investing world that the majority members on this forum are index investors , If they want to join our ranks they should invest with Vanguard and retire like us . I also wrote myself in for Supreme Court Judge on the last General election. I didnt trust those scanning machines. But low and behold 1 vote was tabulated for the BCG. It was a close race, I think the winner got 11,000 Im on page 16 http://vote.nyc.ny.us/downloads/pdf/...ct%20Recap.pdf

If you can't trust yourself then who can you trust?!
ArkTinkerer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2017, 02:14 PM   #15

It's really not an issue. "Meet the new boss, same as the old boss". The Who.